SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews, Calder finalist

gfbugman

NEW YORK -- Chicago Blackhawks teammates Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, along with Nicklas Backstrom of the Washington Capitals, were named Calder Trophy finalists for the NHL's top rookie, the league said on Wednesday.

Kane, the top pick in the 2007 draft, led all rookies and the Blackhawks in scoring, recording 72 points (21 goals, 51 assists) in 82 games.

Toews scored his first career NHL goal with his very first shot and despite missing a month with a midseason knee injury still finished as the top rookie goal-scorer with 24.

Swedish playmaker Backstrom finished second in rookie scoring with 69 points, including 55 assists to better the previous Capitals record for rookie assists set by MVP favorite Alexander Ovechkin of Russia.

The winner will be announced at the league's awards in Toronto on June 12.

Backstrom is an amazing player & I really like him but can't discount the fact that playing on a line with Ovechkin is going to get you a lot of points by that fact alone since the other team will be keying on him & he is a good bet to finish a setup

three really good candidates this year. i listen to home ice on xm quite a bit, and the guys there love toews. i don't know who the people who vote for these are, but most people with a good hockey mind realize the type of player toews is, and don't look strictly at points. backstrom may be playing with ao, but he is still a hell of a player, and made ao that much more dangerous. this is a tough one to call, but of course us sioux faithful give it to toews in a landslide :silly:

It's going to be Kane he exceeded all expectations

When everyone thought he would slow in February he was still trucking and played all 82 games

He broke rookie records for the Blackhawks

Toews though would have won with a full season just didn't put the numbers up that his teammate did. I don't think he'll mind seeing his good friend win it, they both have no competition which can plague other teams.

Backstrom is a stud, and was good in the playoffs but I don't think they are figured into the award

three really good candidates this year. i listen to home ice on xm quite a bit, and the guys there love toews. i don't know who the people who vote for these are, but most people with a good hockey mind realize the type of player toews is, and don't look strictly at points. backstrom may be playing with ao, but he is still a hell of a player, and made ao that much more dangerous. this is a tough one to call, but of course us sioux faithful give it to toews in a landslide :D

thats a good point about the reciprocal effect...I haven't watched enough caps games (did see last nights bummer to the flyers though :silly: ) to make any sort of judgment about how large the effect may be but true nonetheless

three really good candidates this year. i listen to home ice on xm quite a bit, and the guys there love toews. i don't know who the people who vote for these are, but most people with a good hockey mind realize the type of player toews is, and don't look strictly at points. backstrom may be playing with ao, but he is still a hell of a player, and made ao that much more dangerous. this is a tough one to call, but of course us sioux faithful give it to toews in a landslide :silly:

I think a bigger honor for Toews next year is when he is wearing the C for the Blackhawks

The numbers Kane put up just are too much to not get the trophy.

Kane will get all the glitz and glamor while Toews will get all the respect and admiration by those who know the game well.

Toews points per game are just about on par with Kane, and his goals per game are much better, nevermind the fact that he is a great two-way player. That being said, I don't know if all of that will be factored into the equation, and if Toews will lose votes because he didn't play all the games, so Kane seems like a good bet, even though Sioux fans have it all worked out why he should win it.

Toews living charmed life

As it is, Toews is probably the dark horse.

"I've played with him the whole year," Kane said. "And he's a great two-way player. If he had a couple more games under his belt and not been injured, there might be a different story and we would probably know who would win this award."

Toews is thrilled to simply be a finalist, especially alongside his linemate.

I think that everyone would agree that Kane was the most skilled offensive player. I also think that everyone would say that Toews meant the most to his team and was the best two-way player (among rookies of course). Backstrom was also very good, but not quite as offensively skilled as Kane, and definitely not as good both ways as Toews.

I think that Kane deserves the ROY for having the best year of all rookies. I think that every GM in the league would agree that Toews is the kind of player that you build a franchise around. If Kane is Fedorov, Toews is Yzerman.