SiouxSports.com Forum

Keeping Getting Logged Out

WiSioux

The cookies are the important one. Every time I've heard of this problem and investigated it in-depth, it's been due to the browser having old cookies from when the board was at siouxsports.com/forum (the change in which I didn't realize would cause such problems or I would have been more careful! :ohmy: )

I had to leave my computer about 5:45 and was gone for about an hour and I haven't been able to get back on the site until just now. Thought at first it was my computer, but any other web page I tried to bring up was fine - just this site - did it get overloaded? How can I avoid having that happen during the frozen four if I have to leave the computer?

The cookies are the important one. Every time I've heard of this problem and investigated it in-depth, it's been due to the browser having old cookies from when the board was at siouxsports.com/forum (the change in which I didn't realize would cause such problems or I would have been more careful! ;) )

Seems to have worked! Thanks :lol:

I had to leave my computer about 5:45 and was gone for about an hour and I haven't been able to get back on the site until just now. Thought at first it was my computer, but any other web page I tried to bring up was fine - just this site - did it get overloaded? How can I avoid having that happen during the frozen four if I have to leave the computer?

I think that you would have to rewire the entire internet to prevent it from happening again. It looks like the site was down the whole time. I am sure that Jim will tell us what happened.

• 4 months later...
GDM or Jim; Whom it may concern.

Why is it that we have to keep logging in again? Is that by design?

I had to log in every time I came to this site and twice during the last hour...

Nope, not intentional, I stay logged in for months at a time on multiple computers. This is all related to some increased security checks they added to the software a year or more ago to try to prevent people from stealing your logon info, so I'm hesitant to lower the security and go back to the old scheme.

The only times I've heard of this happening are as described above (when you get multiple cookies that interfere with each other). The solution, as described above, is to delete all cookies. That should be a one-time fix, but unfortunately, in IE it's very difficult to just delete the cookies associated with one particular site.

Another remote possibility that would cause the same symptom would be if your IP address was changing while you were using the same computer/device. I've never heard of any common situation where that happens, but I do only see one login attempt from your current IP address -- at 2:13pm CT.

If you don't know how to check it, this page will tell you your IP address:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/whoami.php

If you visit that, then get booted, then visit it again, if the two values are different that's almost certainly the cause. However, this is again quite unlikely... in fact I've never heard of happening. The cookie problem is much more likely.