SiouxSports.com Forum

Pro potential of WCHA players

franchise

I used to respect Rotowire but this is what they had to say about a couple of guys.......

Top 100 prospects

3 Kyle Turris (C, Phoenix Coyotes) Wisconsin freshman Turris has been as good as advertised. He has quickly become the best offensive player in college hockey.

7 T.J. Oshie (C, St. Louis Blues) Oshie is a superb offensive talent but undersized.

9 Kyle Okposo (RW, New York Islanders) Tough and physical. Okposo is a true power forward with tremendous desire.

21 Jack Skille (RW, Chicago Blackhawks) Fast and tough. Skille only needs more pro experience. Will become a very good player in time.

24 Mason Raymond (LW, Vancouver Canucks) AHL speedster Raymond has shown the potential of becoming an offensive force. Once he gains the consistency to match his skills his future pairing with the Sedins will be exceptional.

25 Blake Wheeler (RW, Phoenix Coyotes) Able to play both on wing and at center. Wheeler is big, physical and can move the puck well. Expected impact in 2009 could be huge.

65 Brian Lee (D, Ottawa Senators) Solid two-way player, Lee compares to a young Brian Leetch. He was an AHL All-Star this season. Lacks only experience to become a real NHL star.

88 Dan Irmen (RW, Minnesota Wild) Irmen is a spunky player who likes to mix it up. Has good upside but needs the right situation to excel.

98 Jamie McBain (D, Carolina Hurricanes) Good two-way defenseman for University of Wisconsin.

99 Brock Trotter (C, Montreal Canadiens) Trotter is a strong all-around player who left the University of Denver early and was signed by Montreal as a free-agent. The Canadiens have assigned him to Hamilton of the American Hockey League.

100 Blake Geoffrion (LW, Nashville Predators) "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion's grandson continues to show steady improvement during his second season at the University of Wisconsin.

The 2 bolded parts just make me wonder about their coverage of hockey prospects.

I used to respect Rotowire but this is what they had to say about a couple of guys.......

Top 100 prospects

3 Kyle Turris (C, Phoenix Coyotes) Wisconsin freshman Turris has been as good as advertised. He has quickly become the best offensive player in college hockey.

7 T.J. Oshie (C, St. Louis Blues) Oshie is a superb offensive talent but undersized.

9 Kyle Okposo (RW, New York Islanders) Tough and physical. Okposo is a true power forward with tremendous desire.

21 Jack Skille (RW, Chicago Blackhawks) Fast and tough. Skille only needs more pro experience. Will become a very good player in time.

24 Mason Raymond (LW, Vancouver Canucks) AHL speedster Raymond has shown the potential of becoming an offensive force. Once he gains the consistency to match his skills his future pairing with the Sedins will be exceptional.

25 Blake Wheeler (RW, Phoenix Coyotes) Able to play both on wing and at center. Wheeler is big, physical and can move the puck well. Expected impact in 2009 could be huge.

65 Brian Lee (D, Ottawa Senators) Solid two-way player, Lee compares to a young Brian Leetch. He was an AHL All-Star this season. Lacks only experience to become a real NHL star.

88 Dan Irmen (RW, Minnesota Wild) Irmen is a spunky player who likes to mix it up. Has good upside but needs the right situation to excel.

98 Jamie McBain (D, Carolina Hurricanes) Good two-way defenseman for University of Wisconsin.

99 Brock Trotter (C, Montreal Canadiens) Trotter is a strong all-around player who left the University of Denver early and was signed by Montreal as a free-agent. The Canadiens have assigned him to Hamilton of the American Hockey League.

100 Blake Geoffrion (LW, Nashville Predators) "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion's grandson continues to show steady improvement during his second season at the University of Wisconsin.

The 2 bolded parts just make me wonder about their coverage of hockey prospects.

Ask Jake Prosser of CC if he thinks Oshie is "undersized."

Undersized TJ Oshie

Ironically, one of St.Louis top scouts had to live with this label his entire career - I think that's why he likes TJ so much.

Turris is the best offensive player in college hockey? I'd maybe put him in the top 20, but not much higher than that.

Okposo has tremendous desire...to quit his program midseason.

Wheeler's expected impact in 2009 could be huge. What league do they expect him to be in? Maybe if he's back in the WCHA, but not if he's in the AHL, and certainly not if he's in the NHL.

I don't think Turris is the best offensive player in college hockey but not because he isn't capable of it or hasn't the talent for it.

I think Turris' offensive potential is hindered by the style of hockey UW employs. I really think that if Turris went to UMN or UND, he would definitely be among the top scorers in the NCAA.

As for Wheeler, I think he can be an impact player in the NHL, but I think it will be in a capacity that will have Phoenix fans (and Gretzky) disappointed that they wasted a #5 overall pick to get. I think he can be a solid 3rd line Center or, at best, a 2nd line center. I do think he will see spot time on the first line being the grit to the scoring line, but I don't think he'll ever be a goal scorer in the NHL.

Turris, on the other hand, will explode offensively once he gets away from the defense only offense UW uses.

Turris looked really good when he played with Canada for the World Jrs. this year on their top line. There is no doubt he is a high end talent. I agree that Wisconsin is not the best fit for him.

As soon as the season is over Turris is going to be Yote.

Turris looked really good when he played with Canada for the World Jrs. this year on their top line. There is no doubt he is a high end talent. I agree that Wisconsin is not the best fit for him.

turris is a top player in the nation on a team that doesnt have much more and the coyotes will sign him the day sconnie is done this season and he will be up with the coyotes. oshie is the top college player followed by turris, jvr, porter, gerbe, jones isnt bad, duncan and a few more.

turris is a top player in the nation on a team that doesnt have much more and the coyotes will sign him the day sconnie is done this season and he will be up with the coyotes. oshie is the top college player followed by turris, jvr, porter, gerbe, jones isnt bad, duncan and a few more.

I agree that Turris is very talented, but based on the statement made, you'd think he's lighting the league on fire.

JVR was 10th on the list, Porter was mid-50s, no one else of real interest made the list as far as current players.

Some guys like Hensick and Teddy Purcell who are in their rookie years were on there.

I think your right, that is all I have read on - line this winter.

I agree that Turris is very talented, but based on the statement made, you'd think he's lighting the league on fire.

JVR was 10th on the list, Porter was mid-50s, no one else of real interest made the list as far as current players.

Some guys like Hensick and Teddy Purcell who are in their rookie years were on there.

i know what yo are saying and didnt mean or say he was lighting it up by any means but kyle is a very skilled prospect with a nice nhl future in front of him. not many players have great numbers in sconnie or in the wcha anymore as a whole. he was drafted 3rd by the coyotes and most top 5-10 guys will never be in school more than 1 year for the most part. toews was only here 2 years because he came in a year early or he would have been 1 and done. he was great in the wjt and the system hes in isnt helping him. no matter where he would have wen to school he was just going for 1 year then sign.