SiouxSports.com Forum

Scary NHL Moment: Richard Zednik neck slashed with skate

larsensa

its been posted for 40 minutes first off and sometimes the post counter doesnt show right away

I just figured with a title like that it would create some attention and I wasn't seeing any. I did just notice that the post counter is off.

You scared everybody away with the blood comment. :silly:

What a terrible accident. This just makes me think that neck guards should be a mandatory piece of equipment. Get started with the young kids. I think that they are required in Canada. I talked with a Mom from Canada and she said that the kids just put them on...just another part of their uniform. Start now, and use the grandfather rule, like what was done with helmets in the NHL.

Actually, I looked at it twice, but it doesn't show that I did on the "Views" counter.

What a terrible accident. This just makes me think that neck guards should be a mandatory piece of equipment. Get started with the young kids. I think that they are required in Canada. I talked with a Mom from Canada and she said that the kids just put them on...just another part of their uniform. Start now, and use the grandfather rule, like what was done with helmets in the NHL.

Actually, I looked at it twice, but it doesn't show that I did on the "Views" counter.

I must be feeling insecure today.... :huh: Thanks for all the attention! :lol:

i agree SM with how dangerous it is out there but this doesnt happen often and i dont think neck gaurds will ever be mandatory. i know toews had to wear one as he was underage his first year in world juniors along with a full facemask. im still amazed not all nhl players dont wear half masks with eye injuries and so forth but thats old schoo, vs new school as almost all new players in the nhl wear half shields. so glad he is in stable condition!

im still amazed not all nhl players dont wear half masks with eye injuries and so forth but thats old schoo, vs new school as almost all new players in the nhl wear half shields. so glad he is in stable condition!

IIRC every player entering the NHL after (date?) must wear a half-shield. It is the same way helmets were made mandatory; they grand-fathered in old geezers.

Back to the OT: I'm sort of surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often; I've watched hockey since the early 70s and seen only the Trotter tendon and this. Thank God for little miracles.

Tim O'Connell had a similar accident only it was the skate across his face they put in 40 stitches. Player in front of him was checked and flew over the guy and his skate sliced Tim over the cheek bone. Had he been wearing a half mask tho it might have been worse cause the skate would've caught the bottom of the shield and who knows how much more damage it would've done. After seeing Zednik's thank goodness Tims wasn't as bad.

Watch that Panther/Sabre clip in live action, but focus on the Panther defensemen. One of them was aware that something really bad had happened to Zednik and was over to the bench to help support him (as in hold him up and get him off the ice) right away. That, friends, is ice awareness.

He's a 10+ year journeyman NHL defenseman, but Jassen Cullimore can play on my team any time.

From what I am hearing that Canada has mandated neck guard. Not sure what ages. My squirt son (10 yrs old) has been wearing one for most of the season. There has been questionaires sent out by USA Hockey on the use of neck guards. I know of one youth player that caught a skate and received a pretty good cut to his neck. I am trying to get EGF Youth Hockey to make them mandatory for all players mite to bantams. The other point is that in the college and pro levels there is trained medical staff that can handle this type of incident. Many youth hockey games are played with out any medical personnel there. As an EMT I have been called out on the ice many of times to check on a player. If neck guards are in use this type of injury should be lessen.

So if you are a player or a parent of a player, please take the time to go get a neck guard. It may come in handy one day.

Tim O'Connell had a similar accident only it was the skate across his face they put in 40 stitches. Player in front of him was checked and flew over the guy and his skate sliced Tim over the cheek bone. Had he been wearing a half mask tho it might have been worse cause the skate would've caught the bottom of the shield and who knows how much more damage it would've done. After seeing Zednik's thank goodness Tims wasn't as bad.

Didn't Mitch Vig get cut by a skate in practice? On the forearm and cut some tendons as I recall.

Personally I had my neck sliced open by a hockey skate twice. Once in high school against Red River - cut was vertical and the Dr. who sewed it up said it missed the carotid artery by about 2 cm. It still pumped out a decent amount of blood. The second time was when I was coaching. That time the skate came across my windpipe. Luckily it did not do any major damage, but did require a lot of thread to shut it.

Also when I was coaching I had a player get his wrist stepped on. That one did hit an artery. The kids thought it was funny that his wrist would spray blood in tune to his heartbeat. I almost passed out :silly:

You can make various safety equipment mandatory, but you can never make hockey (or any contact sport) completely safe.

True, it hard to make it completely safe. But wearing the proper equipment aids in the overall protection. Even if it is mandated does everyone comply. NO. It the same with mouth guard. Minnesota Hockey requires all players Squirts and above wear them. Player have them but not alway in their mouth. Ref are to check before every faceoff to make sure they are in place. does not always happen. As a parent I will make sure that my children have the proper equipment to play that given sport.

I noticed some other Malarchuk clips after looking at the one you posted. Man, that was even scarier than the Zednik incident I think. You can see the blood shoot out of his neck on the 2nd video. This guy has three parts posted that show many different angles: Malarchuk from 3 angles. As the third video is ending, our very own Tony Hrkac is skating around. He was playing for the Blues then.

I'm going to buy three of them and have my boys finish out what's left of this season wearing them. They might as well get used to them now because USA Hockey will mandate them soon enough, hopefully next season.

Thats a good idea, and I think everyone should be wearing them. For the record, I thought they should be required equipment before the Zednik accident.

The kids wear all the other required equipment without complaining, and this shouldn't be any different.

As parents, we do all kinds of things to keep out kids safe. Carseats, cupboard locks, bike helmets, life jackets......the list goes on and on. Hockey parents, add neck guards to your list.

I noticed some other Malarchuk clips after looking at the one you posted. Man, that was even scarier than the Zednik incident I think. You can see the blood shoot out of his neck on the 2nd video. This guy has three parts posted that show many different angles: Malarchuk from 3 angles. As the third video is ending, our very own Tony Hrkac is skating around. He was playing for the Blues then.

There is another zednik one that is called the graphic version, if that still exists i dont know but that was pretty bad also. So glad he had the power to skate off the ice. I cant imagine the trauma this must have caused for the fans, especially over in that section, well and of course zednik but thats just a given. Amen.