SiouxSports.com Forum

Question

gfhockey

I have a question too.

Can the administrators see IP addresses on peoples computers and see if there is more than one name used for that computer....

Say for example if MPLSBison and another name come from the same computer? ;)

Yours is easier... yes. I cross-check all registrations, mostly for obvious violations of either of these rules:

# No circumventing suspensions (for example, by using alternate accounts or attempting to register for a new account)

# No deceptive use of multiple usernames.

Jim

why can you only rate a few posts per day ?

The was one poster in particular that used multiple usernames to log in and change reps on himself and a couple others by 50-60 changes in one day. That brought about the limit.

While the board now limits any one IP to one + and one - daily, that same poster makes sure he gives the one - to one individual and one + to himself daily.

Sorry I've been slow to respond, I've been trying to look into the functionality of this feature and potential improvements.

The background is this:

The current system lets you rep posts (a pretty cool thing that I want to expand, e.g. a "best rep posts" sidebar). But, those reps also contribute back to the overall reputation of the individual. I can see how they thought that was a good idea, but I think it unnecessarily muddles post rep and individual rep and it's ripe for abuse.

As Sprig mentioned, someone with a grudge can (and did) actively seek out all of their enemy's posts and neg rep them. That's no big deal for the posts, because each person can only rep each post once. However, those neg reps do contribute to the individual's rep, and quickly lead to a massive negative rep, all caused by a single individual. There are lots of obvious logical ways to fix that problem, but the software just isn't very mature or flexible in those areas, so I've limited rep to one per day until we can do something better.