SiouxSports.com Forum

Preliminary opinion from NCAA on UND/NDSU combining

Bill Kiefer

After a significant wait on an NCAA helpline a very helpful, knowledgable, and articulate lady offered her comments on this question: Would the NCAA have any jurisdiction on the combining of two member institutions into one flagship entity with separate campuses? Her answer "That issue would not be any of our business."

An attorney serving on the Team North Dakota steering committee will request that in a formal written fashion. As with all of of our activities we will operate with complete and total transperancy.

Hail the Fighting Tatankas!!!! :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a significant wait on an NCAA helpline a very helpful, knowledgable, and articulate lady offered her comments on this question: Would the NCAA have any jurisdiction on the combining of two member institutions into one flagship entity with separate campuses? Her answer "That issue would not be any of our business."

An attorney serving on the Team North Dakota steering committee will request that in a formal written fashion. As with all of of our activities we will operate with complete and total transperancy.

Neither are school monikers, but that didn't stop them. If that fetid pool of corruption in Fargo wants to close its doors, it's fine by me.

Neither are school monikers, but that didn't stop them. If that fetid pool of corruption in Fargo wants to close its doors, it's fine by me.

I sure hope you are a North Dakota resident and an eligible voter because all your ranting and raving will be pointless if you can't weigh in by exercising your right to vote on this issue. Vaya Con Dios Amigo! :):):):)

That so called fetid pool of corruption(Team North Dakota) is made up of people from all across this Great State and beyond. We are old and young, east and west, north and south, men and women, Sioux and Bison, non-Sioux and non-Bison, urban and rural, many religious faiths and many political persuasions, but we all have one common theme and that is "What is best for the future, not the past, of the Great State of North Dakota.

In order to oppose this effort you will have to be negative about North Dakota's future and we will be positive. I would be glad to debate this issue with you anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. :):):)

I sure hope you are a North Dakota resident and an eligible voter because all your ranting and raving will be pointless if you can't weigh in by exercising your right to vote on this issue. Vaya Con Dios Amigo! :):):):)

I am a life long resident of North Dakota and I will vote no for this issue. Some may say your efforts are pointless.

I can just see the pc crowd loving that nickname. You will have Native Americans and Peta so far up your butt you wont know which way to turn.

For being a bit, you really ought to be funnier than this.

I respect your opinion. Some say otherwise!

Please back that up with facts not opinions.

Besides yourself who is in favor of this? If you need examples go no farther than Bisonville blog.

It sounds like you have to much time on your hands. Perhaps the state would be better served if you used your time to more realistic projects.

One, the issue would not be the NCAA's, it would be the SBoHE's. Two, the definition as much as I can find of a flagship university is that it is the oldest university from which a university system grew....therefore, making it virtually impossible to make NDSU and UND...ONE flagship school. UND is the oldest being founded in 1883, a full 7 years before NDSU and UND being the state university when the colleges were established. The states that have more than one flagship school, also have more than one university system.

Please back that up with facts not opinions.

Besides yourself who is in favor of this? If you need examples go no farther than Bisonville blog.

It sounds like you have to much time on your hands. Perhaps the state would be better served if you used your time to more realistic projects.

Patricia Monson UND grad attorney lives in Fargo

Doug Jacobson MN State Univ Moorhead grad Supt of Schools North Central Of Rogers ND

Rick Lee UND grad businessman Fargo ND

Robert Thom Minot State grad Supt of Schools Westhope ND

Jerry Bixby attended UND Disabled Veteran from Vietnam War Milnor ND

Darren Armstrong NDSU grad Trinity Medical Center Minot ND

Winston Satran Univ of Minn grad former Executive Director of Home on the Range in ND Bismarck ND

Kari Ness Concordia MN grad businesswoman Jamestown ND

Lee Gunlikson NDSU grad businessman Williston ND

Dave Edison NDSU grad businessman Apple Valley MN

These people are a sampling of the people that make up our group!

One, the issue would not be the NCAA's, it would be the SBoHE's. Two, the definition as much as I can find of a flagship university is that it is the oldest university from which a university system grew....therefore, making it virtually impossible to make NDSU and UND...ONE flagship school. UND is the oldest being founded in 1883, a full 7 years before NDSU and UND being the state university when the colleges were established. The states that have more than one flagship school, also have more than one university system.

A vote of the people of North Dakota can change this, in fact it's the only way! State Board of Higher Ed would have implementation responsibilities if it passes!

Patricia Monson UND grad attorney lives in Fargo

Doug Jacobson MN State Univ Moorhead grad Supt of Schools North Central Of Rogers ND

Rick Lee UND grad businessman Fargo ND

Robert Thom Minot State grad Supt of Schools Westhope ND

Jerry Bixby attended UND Disabled Veteran from Vietnam War Milnor ND

Darren Armstrong NDSU grad Trinity Medical Center Minot ND

Winston Satran Univ of Minn grad former Executive Director of Home on the Range in ND Bismarck ND

Kari Ness Concordia MN grad businesswoman Jamestown ND

Lee Gunlikson NDSU grad businessman Williston ND

Dave Edison NDSU grad businessman Apple Valley MN

These people are a sampling of the people that make up our group!

So it will be those people voting yes and the rest of the 600,000 people in ND voting no....should be a close race. :lol:

So it will be those people voting yes and the rest of the 600,000 people in ND voting no....should be a close race. :lol:

If you are under 18 you can't vote and we have more than 600,000 people living in our State. If you are going to disagree please have some basic facts instead of just emotional reactions from someone who doesn't even use their real identity. :):):)

Do you not believe in your OWN tagline regarding powers reserved to the States?! :(

My "tagline" is in reference to the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. How is this the US government vs the state of North Dakota or to the people of North Dakota?

As unscientific as it is, the GF Herald has a poll on their website regarding this issue. Currently 83% say no merger, 5% say merge only if the university was based in GF and 11% agree with you.

I don't think you will see a lot of support for your idea.

If you are under 18 you can't vote and we have more than 600,000 people living in our State. If you are going to disagree please have some basic facts instead of just emotional reactions from someone who doesn't even use their real identity. :):):)

646,844 (2009 estimate) 22.3% of people under 18 so total # of legal voters is: 77.7% of 646,844= 502,597 so it would be your little group for yes and 500,000 no. Is that better.

North Dakota already has a flag ship institution and it is located in Grand Forks. Wow - that was easy and you don't even need a vote to figure it out.

With that taken care of - if you have money to burn and time to waste I have a paypal account and a bunch of stuff that needs to be done around my house!

North Dakota already has a flag ship institution and it is located in Grand Forks. Wow - that was easy and you don't even need a vote to figure it out.

With that taken care of - if you have money to burn and time to waste I have a paypal account and a bunch of stuff that needs to be done around my house!

With discretionary dollars I only help charitable,needy, and legitimate causes. I do not give handouts to people looking for something for nothing!

646,844 (2009 estimate) 22.3% of people under 18 so total # of legal voters is: 77.7% of 646,844= 502,597 so it would be your little group for yes and 500,000 no. Is that better.

This idea started with just two people. I will let the final totals speak for themselves in a couple of years when this is on the ballot. Even if it goes down to defeat, what is wrong with letting the people decide the fate of two public institutions?