SiouxSports.com Forum

USD GameThoughts

GFSportsguy

I have watched this team all year . Too many turnovers for the #1 team in the country maybe it is time for a shakeup. How can a team start out flat in such a big game? This team lacks energy to start the game. Is coach Roebuck to old school to make some changes. This team is loaded with talent. The toughest part of the schedule is coming now. I hope he can bring it all together.

I have watched this team all year . Too many turnovers for the #1 team in the country maybe it is time for a shakeup. How can a team start out flat in such a big game? This team lacks energy to start the game. Is coach Roebuck to old school to make some changes. This team is loaded with talent. The toughest part of the schedule is coming now. I hope he can bring it all together.

From what I saw, three main problems:

1) Many missed shots right under the basket. Can't do that.

2) A number of defensive breakdowns that gave USD an easy bucket. Several times, a player was left unguarded right under the basket.

3) Lack of a viable 3-point threat. Baageson's injury hurts here. We don't have a player who can consistently hit 3's. Beck and Guinn can hit the shots, but are really streaky.

From what I saw, three main problems:

1) Many missed shots right under the basket. Can't do that.

2) A number of defensive breakdowns that gave USD an easy bucket. Several times, a player was left unguarded right under the basket.

3) Lack of a viable 3-point threat. Baageson's injury hurts here. We don't have a player who can consistently hit 3's. Beck and Guinn can hit the shots, but are really streaky.

Just a thought.....

Maybe the other team is better....? (at least played better)

Only 4 Turnovers....?

I really don't think USD is a better team IMO. Take a look at the matchups and there is no way that girl for girl they should be able to come out and beat the Sioux. They did exactly what Gulf Coast did spread the floor, and forced the big girls to guard the perimeter then we did the usual and gave up backdoor baskets. At what point do you tell Ashley and Kierah not go out and guard those girls, and have them stay back and plug the lane. I think we could have let there posts shoot from the perimeter. Lets get beat from 20 feet rather than 2. 4 turnovers is impressive, but when USD was also getting a lot of layups thus fewer turnovers.

Also wasn't very impressed was having the girls foul in a one possesion game with 8 on the shot clock, and 28 seconds to go in the game if you get a stop you at least have a chance to tie. And why do we have an All American on the bench with a minute and a half to play.

I agree it might be time to shake things up a bit!!!

The ladies looked utterly confused when South Dakota implemented the full court press.

We've talked at length about the guard play of this team. Saturday was a day when our guards weren't very good, offensively or defensively. Conference could be interesting. Still have to go to Augie. Mankato must be better. UNO has a good record.

I hate this 1 game a week crap too. Tough for kids to play their best when they sit all week and play one game.

I have a question? Jossy Bergan played a heck of a game at Mankato, solid floor game was player of the game and seemed ready to make a move to the next level of her game. Then against South Dakota she played 7 minutes, how do you keep your confidence level up when you have such a good outing and you are rewarded by spending 33 minutes on the pine. We need a true point guard. Make be it is time to cionsider Jossy. I know Mr Roebuck is didn't get his fantastic record by being a weak coach. I just hope this lady gets a chance to show what she has, the Sioux will be a better team.

I have a question? Jossy Bergan played a heck of a game at Mankato, solid floor game was player of the game and seemed ready to make a move to the next level of her game. Then against South Dakota she played 7 minutes, how do you keep your confidence level up when you have such a good outing and you are rewarded by spending 33 minutes on the pine. We need a true point guard. Make be it is time to cionsider Jossy. I know Mr Roebuck is didn't get his fantastic record by being a weak coach. I just hope this lady gets a chance to show what she has, the Sioux will be a better team.

I'm not sure what she is, but there is no way she is a point guard at this level. Can't speak to her minutes but I'm guessing being able to guard people led to limited minutes for her on Saturday. When she's hot from behind the line, she plays. Otherwise, not a lot of help.

I'm not sure what she is, but there is no way she is a point guard at this level. Can't speak to her minutes but I'm guessing being able to guard people led to limited minutes for her on Saturday. When she's hot from behind the line, she plays. Otherwise, not a lot of help.

I am not sure which team you are watching "coach daddy" but those are pretty strong words considering she has played well in many situations including last year on the national qualifying team, so to say she is not a point guard at this level is pretty harsh. I think she has been in a no win situation this year, and given the opportunity she may be the exact answer this team is looking for as a true point guard. Because if she is not then we really do not have one because Guinn is more of a three guard and Beck is more of a two, Seay is definitely a three guard, so IMO she is the closest thing to a true point guard this team has.

I am not sure which team you are watching "coach daddy" but those are pretty strong words considering she has played well in many situations including last year on the national qualifying team, so to say she is not a point guard at this level is pretty harsh. I think she has been in a no win situation this year, and given the opportunity she may be the exact answer this team is looking for as a true point guard. Because if she is not then we really do not have one because Guinn is more of a three guard and Beck is more of a two, Seay is definitely a three guard, so IMO she is the closest thing to a true point guard this team has.

You're right, she may be the closest thing to a point guard on this team. However, I don't believe she is a true point guard (Jahner) and I believe that is the problem with this team. I didn't mean to sound harsh in evaluating her, just feel like point guard is not her best position.

You're right, she may be the closest thing to a point guard on this team. However, I don't believe she is a true point guard (Jahner) and I believe that is the problem with this team. I didn't mean to sound harsh in evaluating her, just feel like point guard is not her best position.

I have to say for the most part, I agree with most of the previous posts....some new schemes or something is needed. Roebuck does know the game for sure, but perhaps what has always worked in the past isn't going to now...we always seem to get stuck by the same old things...spreading the floor, lack of zone or a modified zone, (at least he's played some zone this year). I don't understand the foul at the end of the USD game, but perhaps that was not his idea and just an over zealous attempt at defense. Why sit Kimbrough in a tight game with a minute left??? No idea. Why Bergan not playing after her Mankato perfoprmance..no idea.. I too, think she is more of a true point guard and has the quickness to defend those quicker guards (or backdoor drops). Guinn is not a true point, but I don't think Jahner was either..she was a great defender tho. I think of Mallum...she ran the floor like a general and often was directing people where to go. I think trying to move around the guards a little can't hurt and even going back to the 2 low posts occasionally (like last years scheme) instead of having Kimbrough hi or outside most of the time might work. Just some thoughts. I think if they can tweak a few things they'll be fine. The crowd hasn't beenas loud lately either...that's something we CAN affect..so I'll try to cheer louder!

I have to say for the most part, I agree with most of the previous posts....some new schemes or something is needed. Roebuck does know the game for sure, but perhaps what has always worked in the past isn't going to now...we always seem to get stuck by the same old things...spreading the floor, lack of zone or a modified zone, (at least he's played some zone this year). I don't understand the foul at the end of the USD game, but perhaps that was not his idea and just an over zealous attempt at defense. Why sit Kimbrough in a tight game with a minute left??? No idea. Why Bergan not playing after her Mankato perfoprmance..no idea.. I too, think she is more of a true point guard and has the quickness to defend those quicker guards (or backdoor drops). Guinn is not a true point, but I don't think Jahner was either..she was a great defender tho. I think of Mallum...she ran the floor like a general and often was directing people where to go. I think trying to move around the guards a little can't hurt and even going back to the 2 low posts occasionally (like last years scheme) instead of having Kimbrough hi or outside most of the time might work. Just some thoughts. I think if they can tweak a few things they'll be fine. The crowd hasn't beenas loud lately either...that's something we CAN affect..so I'll try to cheer louder!

Just my opinion, but I believe Jahner was a much better point guard than Mallum. Even in the NCC, size is a factor at the point. I also believe that a point guard has to pass first, shoot second. Jossy and Mallum are more shoot first players. IMO, that does not work at the point.

I agree with new2sioux2 that Jahner was not a true point guard but was forced to play there. Carissa was definitely 2. If a true point guard looks to pass first then why was Carissa 1-13 in the first round of the national tournament, and I don't think Jossy looks to shoot first. She definitely sees the floor better than any of the guards, and handles the ball better thus she is a point guard. Look at her numbers they don't lie. She is definitely not looking to be a scorer on this team, and doesn't have to be. We need someone to open up those shooters on the perimeter with penetration or getting the ball up the floor in transition for open looks otherwise teams are going to settle into a half court defense and collapse on the posts. Penetration will open things up as I stated before as will transition baskets, but right now IMO the right combination or mix is not on the floor.

I agree with new2sioux2 that Jahner was not a true point guard but was forced to play there. Carissa was definitely 2. If a true point guard looks to pass first then why was Carissa 1-13 in the first round of the national tournament, and I don't think Jossy looks to shoot first. She definitely sees the floor better than any of the guards, and handles the ball better thus she is a point guard. Look at her numbers they don't lie. She is definitely not looking to be a scorer on this team, and doesn't have to be. We need someone to open up those shooters on the perimeter with penetration or getting the ball up the floor in transition for open looks otherwise teams are going to settle into a half court defense and collapse on the posts. Penetration will open things up as I stated before as will transition baskets, but right now IMO the right combination or mix is not on the floor.

Why would I want a 2 guard who is 1 for 13 from the field? She took 13 shots in the tourney because she had to, not because she wanted too.

Good thoughts both ways. We'll see. Not sure which stats you see that tip us off to any of them being true point guards. Asst./TO ratio? Doesn't tell us much between any of them as far as I can tell.

Why would I want a 2 guard who is 1 for 13 from the field? She took 13 shots in the tourney because she had to, not because she wanted too.

Good thoughts both ways. We'll see. Not sure which stats you see that tip us off to any of them being true point guards. Asst./TO ratio? Doesn't tell us much between any of them as far as I can tell.

I guess I was going more off your idea that a true point guard looks to pass first, and shoot second. Either way I am just going off past experiences and observations in watching basketball to determine a true point guard, and I by all means think that Jossy is a true point guard. She sees the floor well, handles the ball well, doesn't take bad shots, and gets the team into offense with minimal turnovers. She also is always on the floor which helps to provide a much needed spark. Maybe she isn't a vocal leader, but she is only a sophomore, but this is definitely leading by example.

I too like Jossy, and would like to see her get more consistent minutes at the point. Of course, I'm not at practice so I don't know who does what and who earns the minutes. It's kind of too bad that Karla Beck isn't really the ball handler you need at the point, because she is actually the team leader in assists, and has by far the best assist-to-turnover ratio on the team.