SiouxSports.com Forum

What does this mean?

salukipress

I'm sorry because im probably just ignorant but after the press conferecne dale said this. You guys probably did not hear this because it was after the press conference and just the SIU press and others heard this but dale said "I may wear red and have a red tie but I will always bleed green" Do you guys have a sayin up there like once a sioux always a sioux or what? A lot of the people at the press conferecne were confused that he would say something like this. Thanks for clearing things up.

I don't know of a specific saying, although there may be one within the program. But Dale spent most of the past 30 years associated with the University of North Dakota and the football program. This wasn't a place that he just worked for a few years. So I'm sure he will always have a special place in his heart for UND. There is a lot of loyalty associated with the school and the athletic program.

As 82 SiouxGuy indicated, this is simply Dale's way of voicing his true feelings about UND and the fact that those feelings will never change! It is somewhat of a saying that long-time, loyal UND alumni and supporters "bleed green"!

Maybe it is just me, but that doesn't seem like a great thing to say when you are starting at a new position.

Probably not the thing that the boosters and administration want to be hearing at a press conference for the hiring of their new football coach. What if the Sioux end up playing the Salukis in the playoffs in 5 years?

However, when he says he bleeds green, I think he means:

1. He will do everything in his power to assure that ndsu does not win conference titles in the Gateway, or win national championships in the playoffs.

2. Off the field, he can severely hamper ndsu's recruiting tactics in the state of Illinois, which self-admittedly, has been a big target for ndsu recently.

3. He could help UND in terms of scheduling during the transition, even if it's only one game against SIU. Also, if he ended up moving on to a FBS school in a few years, he could help in scheduling as well.

4. If Lennon has aspirations of being the AD at UND eventually, which I'm not even sure if he does, then this would be a good way of "leaving to come back" after our next AD moves on.

Of course these are just my personal theories and hopes for reasoning of this whole deal.

Probably not the thing that the boosters and administration want to be hearing at a press conference for the hiring of their new football coach. What if the Sioux end up playing the Salukis in the playoffs in 5 years?

However, when he says he bleeds green, I think he means:

1. He will do everything in his power to assure that ndsu does not win conference titles in the Gateway, or win national championships in the playoffs.

2. Off the field, he can severely hamper ndsu's recruiting tactics in the state of Illinois, which self-admittedly, has been a big target for ndsu recently.

3. He could help UND in terms of scheduling during the transition, even if it's only one game against SIU. Also, if he ended up moving on to a FBS school in a few years, he could help in scheduling as well.

4. If Lennon has aspirations of being the AD at UND eventually, which I'm not even sure if he does, then this would be a good way of "leaving to come back" after our next AD moves on.

Of course these are just my personal theories and hopes for reasoning of this whole deal.

First of all I think that was the wrong thing to tell your new employer, fans and press. Regarding your speculation that he's trying to just say that he's out to get NDSU is hilarious. He's going to severly hamper NDSU's recruiting tactics in Illinios? Are you kidding me, does he have inside knowledge of who NDSU is intersted in and going to go to every recruits house and tell them you sure don't want to play for those guys, they are bad? What a laugh. That he will do everything in his power to see that NDSU doesn't win a conference title or national Championship? Are you really serious? They play us one game in conference and potentially in the playoffs (maybe). Man if I was a fan of SIU and bought into your theory I'd be worried that I have a coach who's got tunnel vision and a stiffy for one team in the conference. Other then getting the game with UND on the schedule you may as well just said let me see how I can try to make this Saluki fan think Dale didn't just shove his foot in his mouth big time cuz thats exactly what he did. I think your comments are laughable.

I'm sorry because im probably just ignorant but after the press conferecne dale said this. You guys probably did not hear this because it was after the press conference and just the SIU press and others heard this but dale said "I may wear red and have a red tie but I will always bleed green" Do you guys have a sayin up there like once a sioux always a sioux or what? A lot of the people at the press conferecne were confused that he would say something like this. Thanks for clearing things up.

Its a common saying in Grand Forks and for supporters/alumni of the Fighting Sioux - Green is our primary color, so he was making sure everyone understood his history and how he got started. If thats unsettling, then you are up for some severe discomfort as I am sure that SIU is not the only place that produces excellent coaches that were once players and assistants for SIU and chose coaching careers outside SIU. Lastly, you have a great coach and a great human being on your staff and trust me he knows how to beat the Bison and beat 'em badly! Honestly, I would think this is the primary reason you guys hired Dale because the Bison are whopping everyone's butt (except SDSU! ;) ) and you are going to have to play these guys and deal with their pain in the butt fans (See subsequent e-mails from NDSU trolls) on a regular basis. You may beat them in Basketball, but they are going to bring the house when they play you in football and unless you step up to the plate like you did with Dale then others in the Gateway are going to be fighting for the doormat position in the football conference (Notice I am Sioux Fan all the way, but respect is required for a program that beats all of its Div 1A competition for the season with no hope of a playoff or championship!

BobIwabuchiFan

Being blunt: IF he is such a big Sioux fan that he says he bleeds GREEN, WHY would he leave??

It's simple...everyone who has something to do with sports always wants to get to the top and being at UND isnt going to get you anywhere fast. SIU is an established program and if Dale can make some noise at SIU, I am willing to bet a D1A school will come knocking at his door within the future. Just because you take another job at another school does not mean that you still can't give kudos to the school/team that gave you your start, it's kind of a respect thing. If you are a SIU fan/alumni I don't think that you should take that comment to heart because Dale will give you 110% while he is there.

All the Sioux fans out here say that they will own all in football in the next couple of years, so this move still makes me wonder....

well dont think too hard because its not that tough!

yes, UND lost a great coach...is it going to hurt UND? yes, but at the same time i am sure whoever becomes AD or whoever the AD's are these days will make sure the next football coach can produce and bring us into D1.