SiouxSports.com Forum

Staph infections ....

The Sicatoka

Missy Baker recalls the moment when she realized that her football-playing son, Boone, didn't just have the flu.

``He told me he was paralyzed,'' Baker said. ``I said, `What do you mean? I just saw you walk to the bathroom two hours ago.' And he said, `Mom, I can't move my arms or legs.'''

Sixteen-year-old Boone, a wide receiver for Texas's Austin High School, was suffering from a recurrence of methicillin- resistant staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, which his doctor said he got through an abrasion from playing on artificial turf, Baker said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=alxhrJDn.cdc

This is some scary stuff.

Does the ND winter kill this (at least on the outdoor turf)?

Does the ND winter kill this (at least on the outdoor turf)?

My understanding is that bacteria generally don't surivive well above and below certain temperatures or in dry conditions. I would think that regularly cleaning the turf with an anti-bacterial agent would be the best way to prevent infections.

from above link to CDC

To avoid 'staph' and MRSA, the CDC recommends that you and your kids practice good hygiene, including:

* Keeping your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water. Athletes should be encouraged to shower and wash with soap after all practices and competitions.

* Keeping cuts and abrasions clean and covered with a proper dressing (e.g., bandage) until healed.

* Avoiding contact with other people