SiouxSports.com Forum

USCHO Article- Hostility & Abuse or Pride and Inspiration?

aleah

I agree with the article that North Dakota is taking every measure it can to respect and honor Native America. One thing I noticed during the this weekends series, and in the articles picture, is that when the players go into the locker room it looks like they all step on the logo. I don't think anyone should ever step on their school logo , and schools shouldn't locate them in places where they are constantly being stepped on. Do I think people are disrespecting Native Americans when they step on the logo? Absolutely not, but I don't think it shows complete, absolute pride for your school. Just as an example, there is a big M in the carpet of the Gophers locker room, and if a player steps on the logo, they captains fine them...nothing major, but they don't appreciate the logo being stepped on. I have heard of some NHL teams doing this with the logo on the carpet as well.

That may be unintentional, as it is my impression that UND athletes are sensitive to stepping on the logo. UAA's goalie last winter was almost beat down before the saturday night game for hitting his stick on the logo at center ice during his pre-game warmups (this may be completely wrong, but that was how I saw things unfold from down on the glass. It could have been for another reason (i.e., his looks))

That may be unintentional, as it is my impression that UND athletes are sensitive to stepping on the logo. UAA's goalie last winter was almost beat down before the saturday night game for hitting his stick on the logo at center ice during his pre-game warmups (this may be completely wrong, but that was how I saw things unfold from down on the glass. It could have been for another reason (i.e., his looks))

That is good...opposing teams shouldn't be doing stuff like that in someone else's building.

This reminds me of Jake Brandt, who would intentionally do this in opposing arenas. Jake was awesome. :glare:

Lawson was a hack and I wouldn't expect anything less than that. I was also told that Lawson had wanted to play for UND and the Sioux wanted nothing to do with him so it might have been frustration.