SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux So Far

Stack

Jean-Phillipe, and the rest of the team will be fine. The problem with your list is that it goes completely by the teams they play. Why couldn't they sweep more of those series? I agree that they should, and believe they will.

Only 9 games in against some great teams...definitely room for improvement, but for all teams, not just UND.

Sweep at home and split on the road. The teams that do that the most consistently will be in the top 3 at the end. We have to start with a sweep of UMD at home. That is a must. If we continue to gain splits and not sweeps we will not be hoisting the McNaughton Cup. I know that is kind of stating the obvious but that is what it comes down to.

Jean-Phillipe, and the rest of the team will be fine. The problem with your list is that it goes completely by the teams they play. Why couldn't they sweep more of those series? I agree that they should, and believe they will.

Only 9 games in against some great teams...definitely room for improvement, but for all teams, not just UND.

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say the problem with the list is that it goes completely by the teams they play. Of course it does.

The reality is that we should sweep a Mankato at home but traditionally we haven't or at least it seems that way. I feel that we have the toughest league schedule this year. The two top teams we only play one series against are Wisconsin and Colorado College. But that is offset by only playing a single series with UAA and Mankato. So we need to take care of business against the teams that are not as talented as we are. No more making their goalie look like he's a superstar.

I agree with Hak's assessment so far, that the only really disappointing game was the Saturday game versus CC. Oh, and lucky me - I come home for one regular season series in the last several years, and I get to see that! Oh well, at least the Friday game was great.

UND would look much better if they were 6-2-1. That is why every game is important, especially at home. The college season flys by. I hope the team realizes this.

I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say the problem with the list is that it goes completely by the teams they play. Of course it does.

The reality is that we should sweep a Mankato at home but traditionally we haven't or at least it seems that way. I feel that we have the toughest league schedule this year. The two top teams we only play one series against are Wisconsin and Colorado College. But that is offset by only playing a single series with UAA and Mankato. So we need to take care of business against the teams that are not as talented as we are. No more making their goalie look like he's a superstar.

Haha, I was actually thinking of something else and not paying attention to what I was replying with. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a sweep of some of the teams you predicted splits against. I guess I agree with you on the consistent play requirement of NC teams. Good teams that will be top-4 in the country in the end will find a way to sweep other good mid to bubble teams.

Therefore, if UND wants to separate the veteran team this season from the younger teams of the last few years, they will have to start playing more consistent. Sweeps of teams like UofM (not as good as years past), UNH, MSU, and St. Cloud will help. Based on the way they've played so far, it's not out of the question to look for a single-digit loss season.

One thing worth noting is how they come back from a tough loss. When I say tough loss, I mean a game that they played well enough to win, and didn't. In the last few years, the team might have gotten swept by Wisco or Tech after losing a heart-breaker. This year, they completely blew out Tech, and got the bounces in Wisco to beat them. As Hak said, basically only one bad game. Once the team starts playing consistently, those great efforts will all become wins. But the fact that they are battling back in the next game is very encouraging.

Let's see, last year, prior to Xmas, we were TERRIBLE. People had thrown in the towel by the holidays. Ended up with 14 losses on the season (largely due to our pre-Xmas performance) and made it to the Final 4. 3 losses thus far and we're a month away from Xmas. I'm not feeling any anxiety about this team yet. I also tend to agree with Hak with his perspective of our losses. Two of them could have been wins, and one of them, we definitely deserved to lose. The important thing is that the team has built off of their mistakes. As AZSioux said, way too early to worry about a playoff run, not to mention a NC.

I would say that this team has controlled play in every one of it's games. They are putting up huge shot totals. I think that this team will find some more offensive consistency and be very hard to beat. The first line looks very good, and the Malone Zajac Frattin Line also looks solid. Kozek and Trupp have played very well. I suspect that we will soon have 4 lines that work well together. And then watch out. Defense and Goaltending have been very good, so when we start scoring consistently I think the W's will pile up.