SiouxSports.com Forum

Mercyhurst / Doug Woog

NorthDakotaHockey

I spoke briefly with Doug Woog yesterday at the Sioux practice. He was preparing for his broadcasting gig. After telling him that I appreciated all that he had done keeping the Gophers mired in mediocrity for so many years, with the arrogance of recruiting only Minnesota kids, I asked him how he saw the tournament shaping up.

He is completely overlooking Mercyhurst!! For many reasons, Mercyhurst will have my cheers, unless, of course, the Gopher fans are strongly vocal in support of the Sioux. What are those odds?

Lordy lordy, please have Mercy. Stage the biggest upset of them all.

While I would clearly love to see a Sioux-Gopher finale, my brother points out that an upset, however wildly unlikely it is to occur, would give us a veritable plethora of chants against the Gophies for years to come.

Who's bringing the dead ones?

Have fun. No profanity in the arena please (unlike certain dehorn fans from other schools), and let's enjoy the boys tacking up the bulldog and gopher pelts on the way to Buffalo.

flatspin7 Posted on Mar 28 2003, 08:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps. Doug Woog sucks 

I do not think he sucks. Woog is a victim of the South St Paul Boys Hockey Jinx. SSP has been to 27 Minnesota State Hockey Tournaments and never won. They do not even have the most second place finishes. Phil Housley from SSP has never won a Stanley Cup. Housley was on the USA Olympic Team the won a Silver Medal. Tim Horst plays for New Hampshire, they did not win last year. Woog left SSP to coach the Gophers and never won a NC. Woog's replacement Russ Welch did not win at SSP. Welch Left SSP to coach at Hastings. With a great team in Hastings that included Jeff Taffe, Dan Welch and Adam Gerlach, Welch did not win State.

What's a Woog? :D

I think Woog was good for Minnesota in the 80's... and good for UND in the 90's!

It took Lucia and his "Hockey Mullet" to turn things around for the Gophers... that and a North Dakota kid!

Do I want Mercyuhurtssobadtowatchitmakesmesick to win... tough call. True, I would love another game between UND and U of M if we win. However, to have that one game to throw out to every Gopher fan I meet forever is quite an ace-in-the-hole. Tough call... I will wait until the Sioux win and THEN decide! :D

I like Woog as an announcer. He offers praise to MN's opponents.

That's because he's half in the bag... :D During a period break last year, he was interviewing Troy Riddle. Even Riddle was looking at him like "man doug...you're loaded." (not that there's anything wrong with that :D )

I am cheering for the Sioux today. I don't like UND during the season, and obviously I'll cheer against you tomorrow after you beat Ferris State, but I always cheer for WCHA teams (except Wisconsin and SCSU...just can't do that). Plus I think a UND-Gophers matchup Saturday would be a lot more exciting, intense, climatic, etc etc etc...than a Ferris State-Gophers matchup.

Go Sioux!

GO GOPHERS!!! :D

I had a couple beers with Doug after the game last Thursday at Tom Reids, downtown St. Paul. He is a very nice guy and wanted talk to everyone in the place, didn't matter if it was about hockey or not. Unfortunately, he doesn't care for the Sioux, or Bochenski. He does care for Michelob Golden Light. :D

What's his beef with Bochenski?

The counterfeiting charge, I 'spose. I am a big Bochenski fan, my eleven year old daughter even more so.

Last season, the SCSU fans printed up some fake dollar bills with Bochenski's photo in the middle, called the "Bochenski Bucks." Full color. Passed out hundreds of 'em. It was a clever and pretty funny taunt for the SCSU dehorns who should be joining us at the Frozen Four along with Mankato and CC.

It always seemed that we were just watching high school hockey with the Gophers. Granted, he kept it up near the top, but nary ever a championship, of any sort, was won.

Gopher fans used to give me crap about all our Canadians, at least in years past. I simply said if I am going to pay good money to watch college hockey, I want to watch the best hockey that my money could buy. Not some pipe dream that the Gophers could somehow win with only in-state talent.

Look at them now. They recruit a North Dakota boy, Potulny, and a foreign kid, Vanek, and they are flying high.

At least until they crash to earth tonight. Hopefully . . . . .

:(:):D:(???:D

When Grant got his hat trick last night the hats poured onto the ice. The ref skated over to the PA guy and had him announce "if anything else is thrown on the ice the home team would get a 2 minute penalty". I coulnd't believe it. We are talking about hockey tradition here. Your player gets a hat trick, you throw a hat on the ice.

:):(:D:):)

I had a couple beers with Doug after the game last Thursday at Tom Reids, downtown St. Paul. He is a very nice guy and wanted talk to everyone in the place, didn't matter if it was about hockey or not. Unfortunately, he doesn't care for the Sioux, or Bochenski. He does care for Michelob Golden Light. :D

Must be a Lie. Woog does not Drink. His Drink is a Water in a Low Ball glass with a olive. So no beer for him

Must be a Lie. Woog does not Drink. His Drink is a Water in a Low Ball glass with a olive. So no beer for him

You're telling us that he says the things that he does while being sober? Wow, that is hard to believe!

Everytime he tries to say Lundbohm's name it sounds as if he just got done finishing off a twelve-pack!