SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2007-08 Updates

USA Hockey

Fienhage is pronounce Fa-nog-E. I didn't know that. I am watching the game replay and he looks very solid defensively and really skates well. Kind of looks like Smaby on the ice.

i was way off! i thought it was fine-age sort of. so its fa-nog-eeee(do you pro the e?)

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He seems to make some really nice passes, but his shot is, well, Zach Jones-ish...

Well Zach Jones does not even have a shot so it had to be better than that. You would think just by luck Zach would get a point but it just does not happen

Want to bet a beer? :)

Just for the record I would be happy if he scored a goal.

I want to know in 26 games how in the hell do you not even record one single point??? That is unbelievable to me!! Hell JPL is leading him in scoring. I realize Zach is a defensive d-man but put LaPoint and Marto in there.....

I want to know in 26 games how in the hell do you not even record one single point??? That is unbelievable to me!! Hell JPL is leading him in scoring. I realize Zach is a defensive d-man but put LaPoint and Marto in there.....

no way, zach is probably are most solid d man out ther. not all d men need to score and that has been proven with zach and how he plays d. he hasnt taken a penalty forever which was a little problem for a but and he never gets beat in his zone. i think lapoints shoulder caused him to sit both games last weekend to be afe. marto played well. glad to have those 2 for the future!!

no way, zach is probably are most solid d man out ther. not all d men need to score and that has been proven with zach and how he plays d. he hasnt taken a penalty forever which was a little problem for a but and he never gets beat in his zone. i think lapoints shoulder caused him to sit both games last weekend to be afe. marto played well. glad to have those 2 for the future!!

Come on Zach our most solid d-man?? ummm no....that would be Finley by far...check the plus minus.

Come on Zach our most solid d-man?? ummm no....that would be Finley by far...check the plus minus.

i meant hes one our best defensive d man if not the top. im not looking at +/- as i know joe has a great plus/minus, thats been well documented. he is damn solid and has even cleaned his game up with no penalties which is crazy for him :)

i meant hes one our best defensive d man if not the top. im not looking at +/- as i know joe has a great plus/minus, thats been well documented. he is damn solid and has even cleaned his game up with no penalties which is crazy for him :)

Well yeah I agree with that....if he is not adding anything to the offense he sure as hell should not be taking any two minute minorrs. Zach is a defensive D Man, I understand that but his margin for error is miniscule in terms of staying in the line up in front of Marto/LaPoint

Well yeah I agree with that....if he is not adding anything to the offense he sure as hell should not be taking any two minute minorrs. Zach is a defensive D Man, I understand that but his margin for error is miniscule in terms of staying in the line up in front of Marto/LaPoint

Wrong. I think Jones' margin for error is bigger than you think. Finley may have the best +/-, but Jones has been burned a lot less. I think Finley improves with every game and, comparing Joe to the freshman version, Finley is an entirely different player. However, Jones is rock solid defensively and is one of the reasons why UND's defense is so solid.

I find it laughable that the judgment of defensemen comes in offense. Smaby wasn't all that successful offensively until his junior year. Commodore as well. Greene? His offense was so legendary that the biggest joke his final season with the Sioux was calling him a "sniper."

I'm not sold on Marto really yet. LaPoint has contributed offensively but even he has shown some lackings defensively at times. In either case, unless Jones starts costing the Sioux games (taking bad penalties, getting burned a lot, not showing up at practice or in games defensively), I don't see Zach being benched.

I find it laughable that the judgment of defensemen comes in offense. Smaby wasn't all that successful offensively until his junior year. Commodore as well. Greene? His offense was so legendary that the biggest joke his final season with the Sioux was calling him a "sniper."

Yeah I am taken back by that isn't a defenseman's job to play defense? :lol:

I always looked as offensive points as being a bonus.

Here is a nice interview with Brad Eidsness.

Eidsness Interview

You're heading to the University of North Dakota in the fall of 2008. Red Deer owns yours WHL rights. Was that something that was ever on the radar, or was college always your #1 choice to continue playing?

BE: Well, in Western Canada the WHL is much more recognizable than College Hockey. I think I definitely considered the WHL route but after really sitting down with my parents and discussing what the possibilities were we decided that the college route was the option for me.

First of all my parents have always stressed education and I personally believe that it is very important as well. Hockey can only last so long and a university degree is a great option to fall back onto.

The other thing was development. It is a known fact that goalies take longer to develop and we believed that college hockey would give me the best shot at developing. It takes a long time to mature as a goalie and we believed there was no better league than the WCHA to do that in.

Can you tell me about your first visit to Grand Forks? The Ralph is truly an amazing spectacle.

BE: I

This may have already been posted some where, but here is a Q & A with Gregoire.

http://www.lincolnstars.com/pdfDocs/QAwithJasonGregoire.pdf

Thanks for sharing this.

I think Gregoire is going to be another outstanding Sioux from Winnipeg. Guys like Zajac and Toews have set the bar and there are a lot of kids that have taken notice and want to be just like these guys. Its no surprise to me that all of them share certain traits and characteristics.

The list of outstanding players that go from Winnipeg to the Sioux to the NHL should only get longer and longer over the next few decades.

Thanks for sharing this.

I think Gregoire is going to be another outstanding Sioux from Winnipeg. Guys like Zajac and Toews have set the bar and there are a lot of kids that have taken notice and want to be just like these guys. Its no surprise to me that all of them share certain traits and characteristics.

The list of outstanding players that go from Winnipeg to the Sioux to the NHL should only get longer and longer over the next few decades.

It didn't actually start with Travis and JT - Winnipeg native James Patrick played over 1000 games in the NHL. I'm sure there were others.

I talked to a scout who's seen McWilliam and Fienhage play and he said Fienhage>McWilliam.

He also said Garrett Clarke is the real deal and McWilliam's D partner is a stud.

Sorry for pulling up and older comment. Don't have the time to follow these threads as much.

McWilliam's D partner. Was it Olsen and if so, what did he have to say? I'm just curious to see if he saw what I saw.

Sorry for pulling up and older comment. Don't have the time to follow these threads as much.

McWilliam's D partner. Was it Olsen and if so, what did he have to say? I'm just curious to see if he saw what I saw.

Yes - not many details were given - he was impressed, though. His comments about Clarke were unsolicited.

It didn't actually start with Travis and JT - Winnipeg native James Patrick played over 1000 games in the NHL. I'm sure there were others.

Don't worry, I'm well aware of that. James was a great player but I am really referring to a new crop that appears to be at a different level of excellence.

Winnipeg/Manitoba is producing some fantastic talent that will be in the NHL for a long time. Summer hockey will be a lot different than it has been in the past in some of the upper leagues.

Toews

Zajac

Dawes

Boyd

These guys all have similar characteristics in how they play the game and how they treat other people. Gregoire and Colin Wilson are hopefully the next two to join this group.

We also have one amazing 93 in St. Croix who reminds me of Toews so the trend should continue for some time.

I would hope that coaching in the area has something to do with it, but I'm guessing parents are what is really driving the difference here.

In the past, some of the best talent seemed to have some of the most retarded parents. The opposite trend seems to be happening and the results of that are starting to show.