SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 Volleyball

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

Season's already started, just thought I'd start a thread for these girls!!

There's a tournament going on this weekend, so if you're around you should come out and cheer the girls on!! Game tonight at the Betty at 7 pm vs MSU-Moorhead... Should be a good game, and I hope to see a good turnout!!

Game today at 4 vs. Chadron State! If you're in the area, come out and cheer on the Sioux to a win!!

Yesterday's games: I wasn't at the 12:00 game and I haven't even heard anything about it (haven't been on fightingsioux.com yet sorry).... Lost to Northern Michigan after 5 games, it was pretty intense. NMU's really good. I'm not very volleyball-minded either so I don't know any technical terms, but Britta's really good with kills! I lost a bet during that game, darn lol

Also, another fun group of girls to watch... So come on out and support them!

Game today at 4 vs. Chadron State! If you're in the area, come out and cheer on the Sioux to a win!!

Yesterday's games: I wasn't at the 12:00 game and I haven't even heard anything about it (haven't been on fightingsioux.com yet sorry).... Lost to Northern Michigan after 5 games, it was pretty intense. NMU's really good. I'm not very volleyball-minded either so I don't know any technical terms, but Britta's really good with kills! I lost a bet during that game, darn lol

Also, another fun group of girls to watch... So come on out and support them!

Britta is awesome on kills and blocks. If you get a chance. look at her profile on the volleyball roster. She lit up the high school volleyball world, and hopefully it will carry on through her college career. In high school, I think she won about every possible award she could have. Not only that, she is one of the nicest girls around.

Alrite, against Chadron State (I will keep updating this post until I leave the Sioux Crew table):

1st game: UND wins the first game 30-20! Wasn't paying enough attention to give details sorry...

2nd game: Sioux are on a roll!! They had a 20-4 lead going, Chadron came back with quite a few good kills/hits and just altogether some good moves... It then went back and forth for a while, but the Sioux girls take the win 30-15!!!!

3rd game: Chadron starts out with 2 pts... Lots of back and forth play.... Good run by CSU, 5-9, timeout... More back and forth play, but good run by CSU to make it 9-15..... Another timeout, 10-17 CSU... Good runs by both teams, Sioux are getting a comeback, timeout with score at 22-26... Good effort by the Sioux the last few minutes, but Chadron wins this game 26-30....

4th game: UND has a strong start with some good kills and good back and forth play, 10-5...... Timeout 11-5 UND.... These UND girls are on a great run with some nice points and some awesome plays, 20--12.... Some back and forth plays make it a 25-18 game at a timeout.... And the girls come back to a SIOUX WIN 30-20!!!!!!!!!!

Good stuff!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Come out and support the team tomorrow night at the Betty at 7 as they play against UM-Crookston!! They are coming off a 2-game losing streak, and I'm sure they would really appreciate the support of Fighting Sioux fans! It should be a great time!

Hope to see you all there! Go Fighting Sioux!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also behind with Volleyball updates.....

Oct 5: @ St Cloud..... Lost 0-3 (14-30, 20-30, 26-30).... UND was led by sophomore Amanda Polzin and Megan Langseth. Polzin finished with a team-high 10 kills and Langseth tallied 29 set assists in the contest. Sophomore Britta Hanson finished with nine kills for UND. Defensively, the Sioux were led by a duo of freshman. Erin Joki and Courtney Halvorson tallied 13 digs and 11 digs, respectively. The Sioux had eight receive errors compared to two for SCSU.

Oct 12: @ Augustana... Lost 0-3 (17-30, 12-30, 27-30).... UND was led on offense by senior Tara Holmen and sophomore Amanda Polzin. Holmen and Polzin each finished with 11 kills in the contest. Cayla Schroeder had a match-high 16 kills for the Vikings. Defensively the Sioux were led by freshman Courtney Halvorson. Halvorson finished with a team-high 15 digs. Setter Megan Langseth registered 32 set assists in the contest for the Sioux offense.

Oct 13: @ UNO.... 0-3 loss (25-30, 26-30, 24-30).... UND was led offensively by sophomore Amanda Polzin. Polzin finished with 10 kills on the night. UNO's Carlie Christensen finished with a match-high 11 kills. Sophomore Britta Hanson tallied eight kills in the contest for UND. Defensively UND was led by freshman Courtney Halvorson. Halvorson tallied a team-high 20 digs in the match. UNO's Kayla Jensen finished with 26 digs to lead all players.

The girls play at home on Saturday (Oct 20) in the Betty against St Cloud!!! Should be a good battle!

Was it expected that UND would take a step back this year in terms of success? I thought they did fairly well last year, but this year has been a struggle to win matches.

I thought they'd have a better season also, although a big part if it probably is that their schedule is absolutely brutal. Currently, 7 of the opponents on their schedule are ranked in the Top 25 Poll nationally. 3 of them are NCC teams (Duluth is #3 in the nation) so they have to face each of them twice. Plus there is also South Dakota who got votes in that latest poll.

I thought they'd have a better season also, although a big part if it probably is that their schedule is absolutely brutal. Currently, 7 of the opponents on their schedule are ranked in the Top 25 Poll nationally. 3 of them are NCC teams (Duluth is #3 in the nation) so they have to face each of them twice. Plus there is also South Dakota who got votes in that latest poll.

I was trying to stay out of this...

UND is a fully funded Women's Volleyball program , with a Great facility, Weight Rooms, Study and Computer Lounges, Locker Rooms, and Players Lounges.....

and we lose to the University of Minnesota Crookston, who has less than 3 full scholarships, and not even close to the ammenities that we have....

We have some very capable players....

Time to elvaluate what the program and it's leadership or lack there of is doing.....

I was trying to stay out of this...

UND is a fully funded Women's Volleyball program , with a Great facility, Weight Rooms, Study and Computer Lounges, Locker Rooms, and Players Lounges.....

and we lose to the University of Minnesota Crookston, who has less than 3 full scholarships, and not even close to the ammenities that we have....

We have some very capable players....

Time to elvaluate what the program and it's leadership or lack there of is doing.....

When Buning hired the assistance coach at Moorhead State I don't think anyone was impressed.

There is no reason that Sioux volleyball shouldn't be among the best as are most of the other programs at UND. There is no way that they should lose to UMC. If this was just one bad game that would be different but the season as a whole has been unacceptable. UND is better than this. Think how ugly it will be next year playing at the next level, we can't compete now.

Unfortunately, this year's team appears fairly likely to either set or tie a rather dubious school record--fewest wins in a season. That record is six, and UND currently has five, with only a match at Bemidji appearing to be a good chance for a win (and Bemidji is better than UMC).

• 2 weeks later...
UND lost their last match of the season yesterday, to finish 0-12 in the NCC, and 6-23 overall. Any theories as to why things got so bad after a decent first season for Peterson?

Yes because all these coachs have been doing this causeing drama this year. Heard from a friend that one of the starters (a senior), who had been starting since her freshman year and has earned all-conference every year got kicked off the team last week. Yes there is a reason behind it; but I don't believe its a reason to kick her off.

Another issue has been the coaches didn't play some of best players for their positons because the coaches heard from someone else that a couple of the girls weren't coming back next year; so the coach decides not to play them-- until one of the girls calls bring it up to the coach and the coach heard that rumor and went with it-- when the girl brought it up- she got playing time again.

ALot of it is dumb drama and that shouldn't be brough to this level.

UND lost their last match of the season yesterday, to finish 0-12 in the NCC, and 6-23 overall. Any theories as to why things got so bad after a decent first season for Peterson?

Yes because all these coachs have been doing this causeing drama this year. Heard from a friend that one of the starters (a senior), who had been starting since her freshman year and has earned all-conference every year got kicked off the team last week. Yes there is a reason behind it; but I don't believe its a reason to kick her off.

Another issue has been the coaches didn't play some of best players for their positons because the coaches heard from someone else that a couple of the girls weren't coming back next year; so the coach decides not to play them-- until one of the girls calls bring it up to the coach and the coach heard that rumor and went with it-- when the girl brought it up- she got playing time again.

ALot of it is dumb drama and that shouldn't be brough to this level.

I am quite disappointed in the volleyball team's performance this season! I thought they would be better than that..... They won't last long in DI if they don't step up their recruiting and talent :)

They've already lost 3 girls that verbally committed to UND now onto BSU.