SiouxSports.com Forum

Where will the chips fall?

AZSIOUX

It will be a major upset if any team not wearing Green wins the WCHA this year.

1 UND Too much talent

2 SCSU Another year of not raising a banner

3 U of MN Will stuggle early, but play well late in season

4 DU - lost some key players but George never stays down for to long

5 Sconny Its the SYSTEM dangit! (boring, too)

6 MT Hooray for relavancy!

7 CC Sliding down the slope

8 UAA Will play like they did in 1st half of 2006/2007 longer this season

9 MSU too bad this does not mean they will get a better draft choice....

10 UMD Sany looks for new job.

Are you including UAA in that bunch...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can probably answer this one! :sad:

1. The refs are on the Gopher payroll, and always against the Sioux.

2. The regionals are at Mariucci way too often.

3. Having the Final Five at the "X" is all so the Gophers can have the home field advantage.

Point 3 has always been interesting too me. I would like to know from Soiux fans where they would like to have the Final Five other then the "X"?

I don't know about #1 - but at least your getting the others OK finally.

you forgot to mention the most obvious one though - the fact that all the games are televised (except for away at AA of course). I suppose this really doesn't affect the Sioux as much as Mankato, Duluth and St. Cloud - but it sure is distinct advantage as far as recruiting is concerned.

Now this may not seem like an advantage - more of a right - to you and that is expected.

you forgot to mention the most obvious one though - the fact that all the games are televised (except for away at AA of course). I suppose this really doesn't affect the Sioux as much as Mankato, Duluth and St. Cloud - but it sure is distinct advantage as far as recruiting is concerned.

Now this may not seem like an advantage - more of a right - to you and that is expected.

Aren't the Sioux games broadcast in Nodak? The fan base is pretty fervent, and they travel well. I would think that they would be televised too??

Well where would you like to have the Final Five at?:sad:? I am dying to know seeing you would not answer the first time! I admit being a Gopher homer saying this but the "X" seems like the ideal place to me, and to other schools seeing they apparently must keep voting to have it there, pretty central location for most teams......I have heard that Hak even likes having it at the "X". You could have it at the Ralph but.....ooops, it's not a neutral site, remember that part about having it at a neutral site.

its not like grand forks is a big market for tv, therefore i would never think it would be on fsn unless they got their own branch, thats why fssn was invented, to show all sioux games unless tey are on fsn vs gophs,badgers and cc or du every once in a while,

its not like grand forks is a big market for tv, therefore i would never think it would be on fsn unless they got their own branch, thats why fssn was invented, to show all sioux games unless tey are on fsn vs gophs,badgers and cc or du every once in a while,

So, the Sioux games are on FSSN? If that is the case then, I do not get your point.

Well where would you like to have the Final Five at?:sad:? I am dying to know seeing you would not answer the first time! I admit being a Gopher homer saying this but the "X" seems like the ideal place to me, and to other schools seeing they apparently must keep voting to have it there, pretty central location for most teams......I have heard that Hak even likes having it at the "X". You could have it at the Ralph but.....ooops, it's not a neutral site, remember that part about having it at a neutral site.

I don't have a problem with the Final Five being in St Paul at the Xcel Energy center, I think it is a great venue. I do have a problem with Gopher fans suggesting that it is a neutral site, its 7 miles from your campus.

I don't have a problem with the Final Five being in St Paul at the Xcel Energy center, I think it is a great venue. I do have a problem with Gopher fans suggesting that it is a neutral site, its 7 miles from your campus.

I do not have a problem witht he Final Five being at the "X" i do have a problem with the Goofs always getting the prime time games. To me it should be by how they finish the season. It should just be granted to the goofs.

I do not have a problem witht he Final Five being at the "X" i do have a problem with the Goofs always getting the prime time games. To me it should be by how they finish the season. It should just be granted to the goofs.

exactly, it should go be seeding, but when $$$ is in the equation and its in st paul thats how it happens, it wont change. i could care less really, still have to win the game no matter what time its at...the only argument that could go both ways is that the higher seed gets the early friday day game to give them more rest for saturdays night game and then the #2 or watever it is plays friday night with a shorter tunraround time....so it can go both ways...

the X is a pretty good site for it, but don't tell me it's not home ice for the goofers. another option would be to let the previous years champion host the final five. personally i think that would be fine, we would be getting it every two or three years :sad: .

of course its home ice for them, i dont think any gopher fans would diasagree and if they did they are idiots, its a great place for the final 5, great atmosphere for sure and great hockey every single year......would it take a hit if the gophs were not in? of course it would as many wouldnt show themeselves with tat gopher jersey it but would still kick ass. it makes sense to me

the X is a pretty good site for it, but don't tell me it's not home ice for the goofers. another option would be to let the previous years champion host the final five. personally i think that would be fine, we would be getting it every two or three years :sad: .

Thats a hell of an idea actually. The only problem is that what if UMD or MSU would win it some year (fat chance I know but every season is different), how are you going to accompany all those fans into the DECC or WHATEVER Mankatos arena is now that only seats not even 5K?

of course its home ice for them, i dont think any gopher fans would diasagree and if they did they are idiots, its a great place for the final 5, great atmosphere for sure and great hockey every single year......would it take a hit if the gophs were not in? of course it would as many wouldnt show themeselves with tat gopher jersey it but would still kick ass. it makes sense to me

As others have said, if a new idea will cost the league money, it won't happen. With that example, the league would lose out on money in every scenario possible.

Goon,

The Athletic Director at each WCHA School votes on the Final five schedule and when the Gopher topic comes up it is a vote of 9-1 to have the Gophers play Friday night. Joel Maturi (UofM Athletic Director) is the lone person to vote to have the Gophers play Friday afternoon ,this is from the suggestion of Lucia. The Final Five is a huge cash cow for the entire league where each team shares the profits and they don't want to lose that. If you want the format to change I suggest you email Buning and voice your opinion. I would be curious what his reply is.

Goon,

The Athletic Director at each WCHA School votes on the Final five schedule and when the Gopher topic comes up it is a vote of 9-1 to have the Gophers play Friday night. Joel Maturi (UofM Athletic Director) is the lone person to vote to have the Gophers play Friday afternoon ,this is from the suggestion of Lucia. The Final Five is a huge cash cow for the entire league where each team shares the profits and they don't want to lose that. If you want the format to change I suggest you email Buning and voice your opinion. I would be curious what his reply is.

I do not buy that the WCHA schools vote on who plays what games. I just do not think that happens. I think it is set up by the WCHA and they put the goofs there for money reasons. I understand why they do it, I just do not agree with it. It should be according to how they finish the regular season.

Goon,

Hockey_1 I didn't complain about the Goofs getting the night game so you might want address your comment to someone else.

Goon said earlier today: I don't have a problem with the Final Five being in St Paul at the Xcel Energy center, I think it is a great venue. I do have a problem with Gopher fans suggesting that it is a neutral site, its 7 miles from your campus.

What part about neutral site are you refering too as it was never mentioned by myself?

The X is obviously the best venue for a number of reasons that we are all aware of - but to insist (perhaps not you of course) that it is not an advantage for the home town team is just plain - well - ignorant. That arguement lacks credibility - as does the individual that makes such a claim.

I'm done - until March probably - and moving on.

What part about neutral site are you refering too as it was never mentioned by myself?

The X is obviously the best venue for a number of reasons that we are all aware of - but to insist (perhaps not you of course) that it is not an advantage for the home town team is just plain - well - ignorant. That arguement lacks credibility - as does the individual that makes such a claim.

I'm done - until March probably - and moving on.

There is NO question the Gophers playing at the X is home game for them.

However, the ONLY purpose of the WCHA FF is to generate money for the WCHA, it really does not serve any other purpose. No team has EVER made or missed the NCAA tourney based on what happened that week-end. It HAS flipped a seeding a couple of times, but that's it. It's 100% completely about the green, and the few time that they tried playing the FF to Milwaukee, the results weren't very good......even the Badger games weren't close to being sold out.