SiouxSports.com Forum

Guess who's looking at IA Football: Jacksonville St

star2city

So Denver is staying DI in order to have lacrosse compete in the DI national championship?

Hard to believe that.

I still think they'd be better off in DIII with Colorado College. CC even still has a football team.

As far as UND in the Gateway. NDSU can only control the way NDSU votes. But rest assured that when the time comes NDSU will vote for UND to be in the Gateway. There's no other possible way it can go down.

Having both NDSU and UND in the Gateway gives the most possible opportunities to ND players to play at the highest level of FCS. And it gives the people of ND the most possible opportunities to watch the highest level of FCS and spend money in the state of North Dakota to do so. It also maximizes possible exposure for the state of North Dakota.

There's no possible way you can slice it that having both NDSU and UND in the Gateway wouldn't be best for the state of North Dakota.

And to that end, there's no possible way NDSU will vote against UND joining.

No guarantee on what the rest of the membership votes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Denver is staying DI in order to have lacrosse compete in the DI national championship?

Hard to believe that.

I still think they'd be better off in DIII with Colorado College. CC even still has a football team.

As far as UND in the Gateway. NDSU can only control the way NDSU votes. But rest assured that when the time comes NDSU will vote for UND to be in the Gateway. There's no other possible way it can go down.

Having both NDSU and UND in the Gateway gives the most possible opportunities to ND players to play at the highest level of FCS. And it gives the people of ND the most possible opportunities to watch the highest level of FCS and spend money in the state of North Dakota to do so. It also maximizes possible exposure for the state of North Dakota.

There's no possible way you can slice it that having both NDSU and UND in the Gateway wouldn't be best for the state of North Dakota.

And to that end, there's no possible way NDSU will vote against UND joining.

No guarantee on what the rest of the membership votes.

Totally agree with everything said here except the sentence in red. UND signed 4 instate kids and SU signed 2. I know there will some walk-ons put lets not pretend that the high school football players of North Dakota will benefit from this move. In state recruiting is a low priority for both universities, in all major sports, and that trend will only continue. In state players are being recruited hard by U of Mary right now and I believe you'll see that trend continue also. Which is OK by me. Bismarck is a great town.

If you think this move is a great move when it benefits 6 football players, you've become impossible to talk to. At SU this winter, more kids from the state of Michigan benefitted from scholarship money in football than did kids from North Dakota. I understand it is about winning and being the best you can be, just don't lie to me, and to yourself, when you say this move is a "benefit" to football players from North Dakota.

Fewer and fewer football players from the state playing at the state universities. Spin that for me.

Like star2city says, they'll accept the invite when UND does. :D

Why would Bison fans want DU to not stay DI?

Because the Denver market is very valuable for ratings, recruits, and scholarships, and the Big Sky knows it.

PS - Denver at UND hockey was on FSN-Rocky Mountain last night. TV market. :)

Totally agree with everything said here except the sentence in red. UND signed 4 instate kids and SU signed 2. I know there will some walk-ons put lets not pretend that the high school football players of North Dakota will benefit from this move. In state recruiting is a low priority for both universities, in all major sports, and that trend will only continue. In state players are being recruited hard by U of Mary right now and I believe you'll see that trend continue also. Which is OK by me. Bismarck is a great town.

As an aside, will Bismarck-Mandan ever really support Mary athletics, or will it always be similar to what Augie is to Sioux Falls, i.e. not overly popular due in large part to its private school status? Attendance for football and basketball is fairly underwhelming considering the population (4100/game for football, 1300/game bball).

At SU this winter, more kids from the state of Michigan benefitted from scholarship money in football than did kids from North Dakota. I understand it is about winning and being the best you can be, just don't lie to me, and to yourself, when you say this move is a "benefit" to football players from North Dakota.

The only claim I've made is that the total number of ND high school players competiting at the highest level of FCS would be greater with both NDSU and UND in the Gateway rather than only NDSU in the Gateway.

As a matter of fact, 6 players, the number of ND high school players signed by NDSU and UND, is greater than 2 players, the number of ND high school players signed by only NDSU.

If you can't comprehend that statement of fact, then I'm not sure what else I can say to make you understand.

Dig around USCHO.com and you'll find an old article about the DIIIs of today being grandfathered into an allowance to give DI hockey scholarships. (Your memory is pretty close Hammersmith.)

If Denver could continue offering the full amount of hockey scholarships while having a DIII classification, then I see no reason why having a DI classification benefits them.

They'd continue having WCHA hockey like they always have had and they'd continue being allowed to participate in the singular NCAA skiing championship.

If Denver could continue offering the full amount of hockey scholarships while having a DIII classification, then I see no reason why having a DI classification benefits them.

But DU could not, as the exemption only applies to teams that were DIIIs when it was created.

My better question: Why so worried about DU? :D

With my Carnac the Magnificent hat on, I see this discussion going nowhere, so how about a hijack?

Recently(today in the Herald/a few days ago in the Forum), there was an article about the recent success of the NDSU Team Makers. In the last four years, TM has doubled fundaising from $810,000 to $1.65 million and has a stated goal of $1.9 million for next year and $3+ million in the long term. I've been wondering for a while now how the Fighting Sioux Club has been doing. I know that the FSC went through its own rebirth quite a few years ago(thanks to Rob Bollinger?) and has been doing very well since, but I don't recall hearing any hard numbers for the last year or two. For some reason, I was thinking they were pulling in around $2.1 million a year, but that was like three or four years ago. Does anyone know what the current figures are or where to find them?

What does this have to do with I-A football? Uhhh... It takes money? Or maybe it's because I see only headaches involved for anyone not named MplsBison if this stupid DU discussion continues. So, anyone want to jump ship with me?

With my Carnac the Magnificent hat on, I see this discussion going nowhere, so how about a hijack?

Recently(today in the Herald/a few days ago in the Forum), there was an article about the recent success of the NDSU Team Makers. In the last four years, TM has doubled fundaising from $810,000 to $1.65 million and has a stated goal of $1.9 million for next year and $3+ million in the long term. I've been wondering for a while now how the Fighting Sioux Club has been doing. I know that the FSC went through its own rebirth quite a few years ago(thanks to Rob Bollinger?) and has been doing very well since, but I don't recall hearing any hard numbers for the last year or two. For some reason, I was thinking they were pulling in around $2.1 million a year, but that was like three or four years ago. Does anyone know what the current figures are or where to find them?

What does this have to do with I-A football? Uhhh... It takes money? Or maybe it's because I see only headaches involved for anyone not named MplsBison if this stupid DU discussion continues. So, anyone want to jump ship with me?

I'll buy a ticket for that ship :D

But DU could not, as the exemption only applies to teams that were DIIIs when it was created.

But theres no reason that a DI hockey school expressing interest in moving the rest of the AD to DIII couldn't qualify for the exemption.

There's very few DI hockey schools that could benefit from such a move like Denver could.

It's not like we'd be looking at a Dayton situation for hockey.

UNH,Maine and DU IMHO, are using their D1 status to capture some of the monies that the NCAA shells out during the Frozen Four.

There was an article about two years ago that stated that a team playing must have all sports D1 to gain any money for making it to the Frozen Four.

This isn't the main reason IMHO,but it seems like a pretty good one.

So why would DU want to drop any sport down a level? :lol:

If you had come on here and were arguing that Northern Colorado should be DIII you'd have alot more people agreeing with you. But you have yet to even give a logical reason why DU shouldn't be DI. DU fits the DI mold more than most other schools that are pretending to be DI. So what point are you trying to get at?

The only reason to ever move to DI is for football or basketball.

Every single other sport can simply be played up, if your team is really that good, or there only exists a single division that you play in anyway.

Denver staying DI so their basketball teams can be DI is a joke and is an waste of money. They'll never do anything in basketball.

Everyone knows that DU is about hockey.

DU is about hockey, skiing, and lacrosse (they dropped 100 years of baseball for it and have made a significant investment in it).

You can only play up in one DI sport if there is a DII or DIII championship in the sport. Skiing and its combined championship would be fine, but playing up in DI hockey would preclude DI lacrosse as there is a DIII lax tournament.

Denver's going nowhere toward DIII, no matter your beliefs or "expertise" in such matters.

I can't believe you asked that question. Everyone just left it alone....................but no................you had to ask it........................I thought you, over anyone, would know better. :lol:

I just want to see how deep this "experise" runs. Consider it the eggs for the omelet. ;)

You can only play up in one DI sport if there is a DII or DIII championship in the sport. Skiing and its combined championship would be fine, but playing up in DI hockey would preclude DI lacrosse as there is a DIII lax tournament.

Correct.

Therefore, Denver is spending all the money required to be DI just so that their lacrosse team can be DI rather than DIII.

Which is a complete waste of money considering they'll never be a national contender in DI lacrosse.

So what is Dayton doing that you could "improve"?

Dayton used to play down in football at the DIII level despite having a DI basketball team.

A bunch of DIII schools got together and decided that Dayton shouldn't be allowed to play football at the DIII level because they were able to take revenue that their DI basketball program pulled in and then spend it on football, giving them an unfair advantage.

The NCAA agreed and thus banned the practice of playing down in football. IE, if you have DI basketball you must have DI football and vice versa. And thus the Pioneer football league was formed for newly DI non scholarship football teams.

I meant to imply that Denver having a DI hockey team but a DIII athletic department would not result in this phenomenon as it current does not happen at Colorado College.