SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Radio Announcers

BostonSiouxFan

I am listening to the Gopher-CC game, and have been listening to the Minnesota broadcast. Since I'm listening to it on the internet, when the broadcast breaks away to local commercials, the feed stays on the broadcasters while they're not on the air.

During the second intermission one of the Hobey Baker voters was on discussing the final ten selections for the award, pointing out that the WCHA was well-represented with two CC players and Zach Parise as finalists. After he left, and the station went to commercials, one of the Gopher announcers (I don't know their names), started shooting his mouth off, saying, "I wanted to ask him how in the hell Parise is a finalist." This is a typical low-class move by the Minneapolis media, and I think a quick review of Parise's numbers provides the answer. He was fourth in the nation in scoring this year, with 61 points in 38 games, and did this as an 18 year-old freshman in the best conference in college hockey. In contrast, the Gophers' top scorer was Thomas Vanek, who had 53 points in 40 games. There's your answer guys. Being the fourth leading scorer in the country, with 1.61 points per game easily qualifies him as one of the top ten players in the game. I think it's safe to say that if the Gophers could have kept Parise in-state, the press there would fall all over themselves singing his praises.

There's enough whining about the Hobey selections on USCHO, I think that's the perfect forum for pissing and moaning. That said, I was quite surprised that Parise was selected given his production drought in the second half of the season. Parise has a very strong upside and this season shows that he still has a great of deal of work to do, and potential, as well as the rest of the team.

Geez whine much...you are actually shocked that the Gopher announcers wondered how Zach Parise is a Hobey Finalist when he isnt even the best candidate from his own team let alone the conference? Vanek doesnt deserve it, but how Parise did over Bochenski or Stevenson is beyond me.

I aint complaining about cupcakes here, or trying to flame, but you are whining for the sake of whining.

Plus, like any Sioux fan should complain about classless announcers. Lets not forget Tim and Tim ranting about the great WCHA conspiracy last year and everything.

(note: In my post I never said Zach was a bad player, was worse than Vanek, is a traitor or played a weak schedule. All I said was he is not who I would consider one of the top 3 players in the WCHA with Sejna and Preissing.)

Parise is a terrific freshman. He will clearly be a force in the WCHA for however long he stays in the league. However, (you just knew there was a however coming, didn't you?) he just falls short of what I would expect of a Hobey finalist.

Is he better right now than Shane Joseph was as a freshman? No question. Is he better right now than Shane Joseph is? No. The Hobey is not for potential, nor for exceeding what is expected of your age and class standing, it's for the best player this year.

Believe me, I wish all the best to Parise. I know people who are friends of his family, and they tell me he's a great kid. It's just premature, that's all.

The WCHA picked St. Paul as the host city for the Final Five. The National Champion Golden Gophers call Minneapolis and Mariucci Arena (Olympic ice sheet) home ice. The Xcel Energy Center holds 18,000+. They sold 17,000+ tickets to these games, so they nearly filled it up. What other arenas can hold that many fans?

Okay...now of ALL of those remaining arenas, how many are a very central location for the cities of Madison, Minneapolis, Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, Grand Forks, Denver, Houghton, and Colorado Springs? Nobody's close to Englestadt except UND (not sure how many fans REA holds). So that leaves the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, which is not close to anyone except Bucky, or the Pepsi Center in Denver, which is only close to DU and CC, and would mean at least 3 teams would have to fly to play.

Regarding the announcers, they were off the air, they can say whatever they want. It's not their fault the internet broadcasts cut out the commercials, they are technically off the air, and they had a valid question as well.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? :)

I say who cares to all of this. The award selections have been made, like them or not. It is time to move on to more important things, for instance, the regionals.

Sioux fans, let's leave the moaning and groaning to the fans of other WCHA schools. We have a huge mountain to climb to get to Buffalo so let's throw our support behind our team and do our part to get them there.

Geez whine much...you are actually shocked that the Gopher announcers wondered how Zach Parise is a Hobey Finalist when he isnt even the best candidate from his own team let alone the conference? Vanek doesnt deserve it, but how Parise did over Bochenski or Stevenson is beyond me.

I aint complaining about cupcakes here, or trying to flame, but you are whining for the sake of whining.

Plus, like any Sioux fan should complain about classless announcers. Lets not forget Tim and Tim ranting about the great WCHA conspiracy last year and everything.

(note: In my post I never said Zach was a bad player, was worse than Vanek, is a traitor or played a weak schedule. All I said was he is not who I would consider one of the top 3 players in the WCHA with Sejna and Preissing.)

Handyman, I agree with you. While Parise is a GREAT player, I just don't think he deserved this honor quite yet. Had he kept up his scoring trend all year, yes, but I think Bochenski or even Stevenson deserved this one more. It's alright though, Sejna will win anyway, and he deserves to, he is hands down the best player in the WCHA, and NCAA.

One explanation for why Parise is a finalist is the criteria for voting seems to fit him perfectly. Look at the criteria and then make your judgement of whom should be a finalist.

Voting Criteria:

Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off the ice.

Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.

Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportmanship.

Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university; and complete 50% or more of the season.