SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four rink dimensions

mikejm

The Pepsi Center rink was not re-configured to regulation college zones prior to the West Regional; nor was the X for the Final Five.

Two questions:

Will the ice in St. Louis be "college" or NHL; and

Does it matter

I think the Sioux benefitted from the bigger space goal line to blue line, but were hindered somewhat in their cycling by the goal line being 2 feet closer to the end boards.

"New" NHL Rink Dimensions

* The neutral-zone edges of the blue lines will be positioned 64 feet from the attacking goal line and 75 feet from the end boards in the attacking zone. The addition of four feet in each of the offensive zones should encourage more offensive play, particularly on power-plays.

* The goal lines will be positioned 11 feet from the end boards, two feet closer to the end boards than previously.

* The size of the neutral zone will be reduced to 50' from 54'.

* The blue lines and center line will remain at 12 inches in width.

The Pepsi Center rink was not re-configured to regulation college zones prior to the West Regional; nor was the X for the Final Five.

Two questions:

Will the ice in St. Louis be "college" or NHL; and

Does it matter

I think the Sioux benefitted from the bigger space goal line to blue line, but were hindered somewhat in their cycling by the goal line being 2 feet closer to the end boards.

"New" NHL Rink Dimensions

* The neutral-zone edges of the blue lines will be positioned 64 feet from the attacking goal line and 75 feet from the end boards in the attacking zone. The addition of four feet in each of the offensive zones should encourage more offensive play, particularly on power-plays.

* The goal lines will be positioned 11 feet from the end boards, two feet closer to the end boards than previously.

* The size of the neutral zone will be reduced to 50' from 54'.

* The blue lines and center line will remain at 12 inches in width.

While watching both weekends, we made comments about how "lively" the boards were. Didn't even think about the net being closer to them. That likely caused two goals against the Sioux in those games, but helped Duncan to score against the Gophers on Sunday.

Nice catch, mikejm.

I'm pretty sure they won't change them. Painting new lines on the ice is easy enough, but they would have to change the location of the lines on the boards as well. I'm not sure if the stripes on the boards are stickers, or integral parts of the boards themselves, but it seems like a lot of needless work either way. Why not just leave the NHL lines? Save some cash, that's what the NC$$ is all about, right? Besides, both teams skate on the same ice, there is no benefit to one team or another.

I'm pretty sure they won't change them. Painting new lines on the ice is easy enough, but they would have to change the location of the lines on the boards as well. I'm not sure if the stripes on the boards are stickers, or integral parts of the boards themselves, but it seems like a lot of needless work either way. Why not just leave the NHL lines? Save some cash, that's what the NC$$ is all about, right? Besides, both teams skate on the same ice, there is no benefit to one team or another.

They already have to cover up advertisements on the boards, so they could easily cover up the lines and put new stickers on.

The part I think would be a problem would be drilling into the floor to place the net moorings. Unless they still exist from before the NHL reconfiguration.