SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the express written permission of the author.

From the Green Mill, it's the Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show with UND hockey coach Dave Hakstol and hosts Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman.

TH: This weekend, the Sioux hockey team is in the first round of a best-of-three series against Minnesota State-Mankato. Jess Meyers of Inside College Hockey told me that he was with Bruce McLeod and Greg Shepherd while they waited to see how all the games ended. When they figured out that Mankato would be at UND, Greg said

I think Bobby will get the MVP too. It's unfortunate but Dunc doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves because everyone assumes his good play is because of who he plays with.

agree 100%, duncs may lose mvp to bobby, oh well, duncs will just have to light his azz up in st. paul if so

So let me get this straight. When Ryan Miller gets the Hobey over Jeff Panzer, people say Miller didn't deserve it because of the system he played in. But it doesn't matter that under Dean Blais, Panzer played under a coach who believed in high-octane offense and gave his forwards a lot of freedom? So how is it that when people point out that Duncan plays with two first-round NHL draft choices, it's not supposed to be a factor in how people vote?

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see Duncan win the WCHA MVP award. He deserves it. Unfortunately, most people either don't realize or have forgotten that despite the fact that Oshie and Toews were injured for much of the first half of the season and he didn't always play with both of them, Duncan continued to score goals throughout the year.

However, you can't have it both ways. A player can only play with who the coach pairs him with, under the system the coach plays and against the teams the league tells him to play. He has no control over any of that. All he can do is excel to the best of his ability under whatever circumstances he faces. If you're going to hold such factors against players on opposing teams, you shouldn't be surprised when the same reasoning is applied to players on your favorite team.

If you're going to hold such factors against players on opposing teams, you shouldn't be surprised when the same reasoning is applied to players on your favorite team.

Sure we can! We wear green tinted glasses!!! :D

Oh, and once again, thanks for a great write up. ;)

So let me get this straight. When Ryan Miller gets the Hobey over Jeff Panzer, people say Miller didn't deserve it because of the system he played in. But it doesn't matter that under Dean Blais, Panzer played under a coach who believed in high-octane offense and gave his forwards a lot of freedom? So how is it that when people point out that Duncan plays with two first-round NHL draft choices, it's not supposed to be a factor in how people vote?

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see Duncan win the WCHA MVP award. He deserves it. Unfortunately, most people either don't realize or have forgotten that despite the fact that Oshie and Toews were injured for much of the first half of the season and he didn't always play with both of them, Duncan continued to score goals throughout the year.

However, you can't have it both ways. A player can only play with who the coach pairs him with, under the system the coach plays and against the teams the league tells him to play. He has no control over any of that. All he can do is excel to the best of his ability under whatever circumstances he faces. If you're going to hold such factors against players on opposing teams, you shouldn't be surprised when the same reasoning is applied to players on your favorite team.

Pat, I'll go with you on this one, we really can't complain and try to have things "both ways" in our players' favor. And as far as Ryan Miller goes, with all of his shutouts he had that year, and his Hobey Baker Award, he lost to UND in the Frozen Four after ONE SHOT ON GOAL. :D

This is the best stuff right here. This is why North Dakota hockey is right up there every year because we have a purpose and we play every game for a reason to finish the best we can. We don't just put in a backup goalie to make people happy and I know people will argue that they didn't have anything to play for and we did or what if Goepfhart got hurt. Screw it, we always play to win and do the best we can and I like that which carries over to postseason.

I also like how he shows that it is a team effort and Duncan doesn't care about personal awards. This is great coming from a coach and carries over to a team that is dedicated in working together to acheive great things with each other and not individually. I really like how Hak is starting to talk and it gives me goosebumps hoping something special is coming again with a strong finish. Can't wait for the final five becaues I am confident this team will take care of business. After watching that DOT line live at St. Cloud on Saturday they can do whatever they want to defenses and make it look easy. Fun stuff to watch.

I was thinking sort of the same thing. The last two years I have heard star players whining about not getting enough touches.

When you start to hear that kind of crap you can just about put it in the bank that there will be no national title for that team. Team comes first, team goals come before a players personel ambitions and stats. If I was Lucia I send Johnson packing for the NHL right now because he has already dissed the team and the league and the coach for not utilizing him in the right way.