SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU & SDSU in the Gateway

DI IN FARGO

Congratulations to the Rabbits & Bison! That means NDSU has 8 guaranteed conference games per year, combined with a scheduling agreement with Poly & Davis and last but not least, a BIG $$$$$$$$ game with an FBS school like Minnesota, Iowa State, etc. Does that mean UND won't be able to play NDSU until when?:silly:?:lol:?;)?:D? Somebody call Ed Schultz. The Bison are runnin' scared, buuuoooooyyyyyyy! The circle is complete for the SU's so now we can watch in anticipation for UND and USD to accept membership into the Big Sky with Denver and UBC. Best of luck and you're welcome for the DI blueprint.

Classy acceptance of the congratulations there Johnny. :silly:

I had to get that one in because nobody said we could do any of this. Today is a dream come true for me. In all sincerity, this is an exciting time for both NDSU and UND. It's great because now I can finally watch NDSU once again battle for conference and national titles and I can also watch UND's transition and see how they progress. These next 5 yrs are going to be very interesting for the entire state of ND. It's a good thing. I wish UND the best of luck because it's not going to be easy. It certainly wasn't easy (and in some cases still isn't easy) for NDSU so from that perspective, I certainly feel for what UND is up against. UND is a quality institution and I have no doubt that they're up to the task. Here's to a milestone for the entire state, and I think we can all collectively be proud of that.

Congrats and best of luck to the Bison and the Jacks! :silly:

Thanks

It's a big day for the Bison and Jacks!

Sioux and Coyotes have a great future ahead too in the Great West and beyond.

UCD and Poly are great schools to play.

Congrats and best of luck to the Bison and the Jacks! :lol:

Thanks for the congrats, bin. I know UND is a lock for the GWFC in '09, and I hope (for the sake of the 95% of knowledgeable, classy Sioux fans like youself and not for the likes of DaveK) that you guys will also do North Dakota proud in your new football conference. You guys will have no problem whaling on the Yotes every year when you play them. Here's to the Bison and Sioux dominating the Jacks and Yotes for years to come in their respective conferences!! :silly:

Factoids:

6 - Number of programs that finished in the top 25 last year

5 - Number of State U's in the conference (IL, IN, MO, ND, SD).

4 - Number of programs that finished in the top 10 last year.

3 - Number of former NCC members in the conference.

2 - Number of programs with FCS championship trophies already.

1 - Where I'd rank this conference's strength nationally (A10 is up there too)

The only thing that concerns me is getting an eventual autobid for the Great West. With the XDSU's leaving, even if we get another team or two to join the conference , does this affect the core group requirements for eventual autobid? To me, it's not that important where we play, it getting into the playoffs once the 5 years are up. And no, I'm not getting my hopes up about the Big Sky, I've seen them jerk too many teams around.

It's possible that Indiana State could drop football.

If they do and another team leaves in the next 5 years, UND and USD are the logical replacements.

Also, there is no scheduling agreement with Davis and Poly that I'm aware of.

DON'T EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAM MLPS BISON!

Seriously though, I think this move is designed to turn into a mo. valley football conference in the next decade (Possibly with DI-A aspirations?). If that ever does become the case, it will be too lucrative for members of the conference to leave for football, because of the basketball side of things. Indiana State may still drop though, but I don't see a second school leaving.

This is SiouxSports.com. Why are NDSU and SDSU even being discussed here? Who cares about them? They are in no way relevant to UND.

PS - I'm flattered by your obsession with me, Bisonator. Sorry it hurts your feelings that I can't stand the team you cheer for. Sorry that you can't handle the fact we don't all like the same team. F'n crybaby!!! :D

It is a bit odd seeing a bison helmet creating a discussion string on siouxsports.com, but they are relevant.

The only thing that concerns me is getting an eventual autobid for the Great West. With the XDSU's leaving, even if we get another team or two to join the conference , does this affect the core group requirements for eventual autobid? To me, it's not that important where we play, it getting into the playoffs once the 5 years are up. And no, I'm not getting my hopes up about the Big Sky, I've seen them jerk too many teams around.

This move has pushed the GWFC's chance for an autobid to 2014 at the absolute earliest. Even that assumes the GWFC will get another member besides UND and USD. If it's a DII move-up, they must begin their move this year and join the GWFC by 2012. If it's an existing DI school, only the joining by 2012 is required. The requirement is six schools that have played together as active DI members for the preceding two years.

This move has pushed the GWFC's chance for an autobid to 2014 at the absolute earliest. Even that assumes the GWFC will get another member besides UND and USD. If it's a DII move-up, they must begin their move this year and join the GWFC by 2012. If it's an existing DI school, only the joining by 2012 is required. The requirement is six schools that have played together as active DI members for the preceding two years.

I really think this is the end of the road for the Great West. SUU will somehow get into the Big Sky, and God only knows where the California schools go, but I've got a bad feeling about this. I feel UND can and will get into a better conference, I just don't like what I see in the Great West anymore, and I never did like the Sky.