SiouxSports.com Forum

Cornell vs North Dakota?

ithacat

In Brian Sullivan's weekly ECACHL column, Coach Schafer mentions future agreements with BU, UNH, and North Dakota. Anyone hear when Cornell & North Dakota are scheduled to go?

I relish the thought of UND being able to pummel Cornell for a couple of games and then sending their whinny coach Shaffer home complaining about home cooking.

While I would prefer closer games at Princeton(my backyard), Army(fairly new arena), or the the "Q"(just opened new arena), games aginst Cornell and New Hampshire would be in the 5-6 hours away. Not too crazy about having to go into Boston though. Does anyone know if Boston University is in a decent area of Boston?

While I would prefer closer games at Princeton(my backyard), Army(fairly new arena), or the the "Q"(just opened new arena), games aginst Cornell and New Hampshire would be in the 5-6 hours away. Not too crazy about having to go into Boston though. Does anyone know if Boston University is in a decent area of Boston?

We (BU) are in the Back Bay/Brookline area . . . it's not the hood and it's not the suburbs, it's just the city. If you're coming up for a game, you can't go five feet without running into a police officer, though it's not really necessary. Boston's pretty safe, just stay out of Southie, Roxbury, and Dorchester at all times and keep away from A&B later in the night.

Hey, Ithacat, do people at Cornell know if the MSG deal is still in the works for this Thanksgiving?

Hello 31-9,

Thanks for the info. I am not really a city guy(New York City is about 60 miles north and I have been there once in the last ten years) so I am not familiar with Boston itself. When Boston College was in the Big East, I used to go to football games but their campus isn't really in Boston. Newton seemed more like a bigger town. I had heard about Roxbury being bad. If you were coming north on Interstate ? from Hartford how easy is it to get to from major highways? Are there parking lots near the new arena? Is the parking cost reasonable? Can you usually get tickets game night? Thanks for any help.

We (BU) are in the Back Bay/Brookline area . . . it's not the hood and it's not the suburbs, it's just the city. If you're coming up for a game, you can't go five feet without running into a police officer, though it's not really necessary. Boston's pretty safe, just stay out of Southie, Roxbury, and Dorchester at all times and keep away from A&B later in the night.

Hey, Ithacat, do people at Cornell know if the MSG deal is still in the works for this Thanksgiving?

When I lived in boston I think North Eastern was the college that was in the tough part of the hill right down from Roxbury. Boston U if remember right was in a pretty cool part of town kind of close to Fenway Park.

I relish the thought of UND being able to pummel Cornell for a couple of games and then sending their whinny coach Shaffer home complaining about home cooking.

I'm sure Cornell will look forward to playing in a 1st class arena and against a 1st class team. It's always an honor playing against the best.

I'm sure Cornell will look forward to playing in a 1st class arena and against a 1st class team. It's always an honor playing against the best.

Agreed. I'm not a big Shaffer fan, but Cornell is a darn good school.

Maybe if Riley Nash commits to UND, Nash could face Nash! :ohmy:

Lately, there's been an unsettled feeling that there's a problem with that date. Nothing official, yet, however. Didn't Parker say there might be a problem?

I'll be seeing Agganis for the first time this Friday, taking in the BU-Vermont game. Then it's on to Cambridge for Cornell-Harvard.

Hello 31-9,

Thanks for the info. I am not really a city guy(New York City is about 60 miles north and I have been there once in the last ten years) so I am not familiar with Boston itself. When Boston College was in the Big East, I used to go to football games but their campus isn't really in Boston. Newton seemed more like a bigger town. I had heard about Roxbury being bad. If you were coming north on Interstate ? from Hartford how easy is it to get to from major highways? Are there parking lots near the new arena? Is the parking cost reasonable? Can you usually get tickets game night? Thanks for any help.

Parking - we have several lots, price is about $10. There is also metered parking all along Comm. Ave or of course mass transportation if you're staying in the city

Agganis - The arena is easily accessed from the Mass Pike off of I95.

Tickets - hard to come by on game day, but if you give me a couple weeks reminder of when you plan to come up I can get you tickets for free and either email or mail them to you. BU also holds a bunch of SRO tickets which are a good deal cause the sight lines are so good it doesn't matter if you're standing in an SRO area, you'll still see everything.

When I lived in boston I think North Eastern was the college that was in the tough part of the hill right down from Roxbury. Boston U if remember right was in a pretty cool part of town kind of close to Fenway Park.

Yeah, you can see into Fenway from my dorm. Too bad I'm not a Sox fan.

Lately, there's been an unsettled feeling that there's a problem with that date. Nothing official, yet, however. Didn't Parker say there might be a problem?

I'll be seeing Agganis for the first time this Friday, taking in the BU-Vermont game. Then it's on to Cambridge for Cornell-Harvard.

I had heard from Parker that if MSG doesn't work out, BU would go up to Lynah for 2 games. I don't care where they play, just as long as it happens.

Hope you like Agganis, it's not the same as in WBA but it's a great facility. Us BU fans shouldn't give you too much trouble.

31-9,

THANK YOU for the info. and offer. Strangely, last night I got to see the new Boston arena while I was watching the New Hampshire/Boston 3-3 tie. About a month ago, our local cable station started showing one or two Hockey East games a week. New Hampshire has been on a lot. Maybe I should start rooting for the Sioux and Wildcats :ohmy:

I had heard from Parker that if MSG doesn't work out, BU would go up to Lynah for 2 games. I don't care where they play, just as long as it happens.

Hope you like Agganis, it's not the same as in WBA but it's a great facility. Us BU fans shouldn't give you too much trouble.

I hope the 5-game series works out. Thanksgiving weekend in NYC...Cornell-BU at MSG...what a way to begin the series. Of course, I think Cornell-BU should play every year. That was a pretty good rivalry in the pre-HE days.

Is the Green Line-Park St-Red Line a safe ride after the game?

I hope the 5-game series works out. Thanksgiving weekend in NYC...Cornell-BU at MSG...what a way to begin the series. Of course, I think Cornell-BU should play every year. That was a pretty good rivalry in the pre-HE days.

Is the Green Line-Park St-Red Line a safe ride after the game?

Sure it is, why wouldn't it be safe? Oh, just remember they hiked the T fare so it's $1.70 with a Charlie Card or $2.00 with cash/ Charlie Ticket. Doors open at 7, it's televised, and we're still in session so hopefully Agganis will put on a good show for you. The hockey, I'm not so sure about; we have people who just come to see the band, 'cause BU's been that bad at home this year.

Hello 31-9,

Well let me tell you, I spent 3 weeks in Queens, New York for work and I stayed in the Holiday INN close to the JFK airport and I have to say that If I never go back I won't be sad. Yikes, what gridlock. You can't even go out of your hotel after night, unless your carrying a fire arm. I will take the Midwest and with less thugs any day.

31-9,

THANK YOU for the info. and offer. Strangely, last night I got to see the new Boston arena while I was watching the New Hampshire/Boston 3-3 tie. About a month ago, our local cable station started showing one or two Hockey East games a week. New Hampshire has been on a lot. Maybe I should start rooting for the Sioux and Wildcats ;)

I would suggest Maine. They're kind of the Sioux's pseudo-sister team in HE.

There's nothing wrong with UNH or Maine, but I have to tell you that the BU fans have really treated my group great when we're at games and sporting the Sioux logo. I hear, "The Sioux are great" or "We love the Sioux" all the time. It hasn't happened just once or twice -- many, many times over the years. There's a lot of respect for the Sioux. You can just tell.

It's also really fun to watch a game at Agganis. The students get to stand behind the goals at each end of the arena, and they're loud, creative, and add a lot of excitement to the game. It makes me wish that the UND students could stand behind the goals, too -- but I know that's another topic discussed over and over already.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand -- I hope the Sioux do come out east. Keep us posted those of you with the inside scoop.

There's nothing wrong with UNH or Maine, but I have to tell you that the BU fans have really treated my group great when we're at games and sporting the Sioux logo. I hear, "The Sioux are great" or "We love the Sioux" all the time. It hasn't happened just once or twice -- many, many times over the years. There's a lot of respect for the Sioux. You can just tell.

It's also really fun to watch a game at Agannis. The students get to stand behind the goals at each end of the arena, and they're loud, creative, and add a lot of excitement to the game. It makes me wish that the UND students could stand behind the goals, too -- but I know that's another topic discussed over and over already.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand -- I hope the Sioux do come out east. Keep us posted those of you with the inside scoop.

You wouldn't happen to be the Sioux fan I see in Section 114/115 all the time would you? The first couple seats of I'd say maybe Row G or H?

As for some potential matchups, I've heard so many conflicting reports. Parker has said that BU would go to Alaska to start the season, but would be playing the Sioux? Then I heard that BU would go to REA next season for two and then UND would come to BU the following year. I've also heard that BU would be hosting the Icebreaker with UND as a possible participant or that we would host a Christmas Tournament. I know Parker's certain that a BU - UND matchup is gonna happen within the next 5 years, just the specifics aren't certain. I'm pretty sure he wants the Sioux's opinion on the arena though.

The Sioux still have to come East to return the favor to Quinnipiac, no? They just opened their new arena last month.

You wouldn't happen to be the Sioux fan I see in Section 114/115 all the time would you? The first couple seats of I'd say maybe Row G or H?

Yes -- except I'm next to the Sioux fan with the jersey on each game. We've run into others wearing North Dakota hats/shirts at the games, too, and one game I saw someone wearing a USA Parise sweater from the World Jrs in the student section (male). I'm from N.Dakota originally. My companion wearing the Sioux jersey (and BU hat) is from Massachusetts and grew up following BU. We cheer for BU each game (unless they play UND...).

You are probably right on Quinnipiac. I really hope BU and UND schedule something in each others' arenas, though. Since I started watching BU games ('98), BU and ND have only played in tournaments (GLI one year, NCAA Regionals, etc. I guess they would have played in Dartmouth this year if the ref hadn't called that penalty shot in OT...).

My best guess for next years schedule:

WCHA home series: Minnesota, Denver, St. Cloud, Michigan Tech, Duluth, CC, AA

WCHA road series: Minnesota, Denver, St. Cloud, Michigan Tech, Duluth, Wisconsin, Mankato

That is a total of 28 games. Since they don't play at Alaska Anchorage they can only schedule 34 game I believe, possibly 35 if one is the Hall of Fame game. The last few times they did not go to AA they played in the HOF game.

So that leaves 6 other games to schedule. Here are the possibilities I see:

Home: New Hampshire - They owe us a home series for going there in the 2005-2006 season.

Home/Away: Bemidji State - This has started to be a yearly deal.

Away: Boston College/Northeastern - Both BC and Northeastern were here for 2 game series in the past few years. We went out there once for a single game against each team.

Away: Harvard - They played us here last year.

Away: Quinnipiac - They played us here this year.

New Opponent ? Cornell or BU ? Maybe a tourney ?

If I had to guess I would say the six games will be filled by New Hampshire (2 Home), Bemidji (1 Home, 1 Road), and some tournament (2 games). Most years we play in one or two tourneys but without having the AA road games I would say there would be at most one tourney.

I would think the HOF game is also a possiblility, not sure who controls what teams play in that each year.

Finally, I would expect them to have exhibitions against Manitoba and maybe the US Under 18 team.

How was that 'cleared up'?

Someone said that the BSU series was home and home when I was over in Bemidji I asked someone from BSU in the know if there were going to be a home and home series again next season and it was confirmed by Hak on the coaches show that because of scheduling both games will be in the REA next season.

Updated with Bemidji being at UND for 2 next year.

My best guess for next years schedule:

WCHA home series: Minnesota, Denver, St. Cloud, Michigan Tech, Duluth, CC, AA

WCHA road series: Minnesota, Denver, St. Cloud, Michigan Tech, Duluth, Wisconsin, Mankato

Non-conference home series: Bemidji State

That is a total of 30 games. Since they don't play at Alaska Anchorage they can only schedule 34 non-exempt games.

The only exempt games that I am aware of are the Hall of Fame game (one game only) and the "Ice Breaker" tourney (2 games). The last few times they did not go to AA they played in the HOF game.

So that leaves 4 other non-exempt games to schedule. Here are the possibilities I see:

Home: New Hampshire - They owe us a home series for going there in the 2005-2006 season.

Away: Boston College/Northeastern - Both BC and Northeastern were here for 2 game series in the past few years. We went out there once for a single game against each team.

Away: Harvard - They played us here last year.

Away: Quinnipiac - They played us here this year.

New Opponent ? Cornell or BU ? Maybe a tourney ?

If I had to guess I would say the four games will be filled by New Hampshire (2 Home) and some tournament (2 games). Most years we play in one or two tourneys but without having the AA road games I would say there would be at most one tourney unless they are involved in the Ice Breaker.

I would think the HOF game is also a possiblility, not sure who controls what teams play in that each year.

Finally, I would expect them to have exhibitions against Manitoba and maybe the US Under 18 team.