SiouxSports.com Forum

The Weather

JESUS,family,rutgers

Actually - the official low temp here was -16 which was the coldest temp in two years here in tropical southern Mn. Had to cancel some schools of course - too cold for the hearty Minnesotans.

What, cancel school?? A few years ago in GF, it hit -54 in midweek and we still had school. I think it warmed up to a -39 that day! It was great for science experiments with the kids, including the throwing the water outside to watch it vaporzie or make scientific predictions on how long it would take a cup of warm water to freeze. Of course, now that I live in the south, I hear all the whining when it's 25 degrees. We had an inch of snow last Thursday, which of course cancelled school for the remainder of the week. I get back today and everyone's asking if I played in the snow. Good grief! :D

Yesterday in Bismarck there was a malfunction on a bank sign. The temperature was posted as -196degrees. North Dakotans are tough, but I don't think any of us could have actually survived that temperature!

it wss accurate - with "man made global warming" factored in

it would be that cold if we were not around

What, cancel school?? A few years ago in GF, it hit -54 in midweek and we still had school. I think it warmed up to a -39 that day! It was great for science experiments with the kids, including the throwing the water outside to watch it vaporzie or make scientific predictions on how long it would take a cup of warm water to freeze. Of course, now that I live in the south, I hear all the whining when it's 25 degrees. We had an inch of snow last Thursday, which of course cancelled school for the remainder of the week. I get back today and everyone's asking if I played in the snow. Good grief! :D

well - get this - The annual winter carnival here in St.Paul ended on Sunday. One of the last exhibits and demonstrations was sponsored by the Red Cross and it was on "Winter Survival". guess what - it was canceled due to cold weather.

well - get this - The annual winter carnival here in St.Paul ended on Sunday. One of the last exhibits and demonstrations was sponsored by the Red Cross and it was on "Winter Survival". guess what - it was canceled due to cold weather.

Now, how many people will perish because that was cancelled due to cold weather?

To tie this in to hockey, as everything in our lives must eventually do, any of you seen hockey pucks shatter from the cold?

I had that happen when I was a freshman in high school playing in an outdoor rink. At that time, I thought it was due to my brute strength, but now realize it was more likely due to the weather.

So I'm heading there for the weekend...how fricken cold is it going to be Friday night after the game? Should I put on one or two pairs of long underwear? I'll probalby have to find some of you guys with that bottle of Dr. McGillicutty's.

Todays GFH shows the forecast as:

Friday High 5 Low -10

Saturday High 10 Low -12

HA! Things are lookin up! :D

Well -31F is my record cold temp experienced (previously -24 in Rockford, IL). I spent a few hours today installing battery warmers on both vehicles. You know it's cold when you have 2 spots in your house where ice is growing inside (only in the corner of rooms bordering the outside near the baseboards). That's a house built in the 1800s for ya... I doubt the plaster walls have much insulation.

Aaron

I remember that minus 54 Siouxdonyms, I was still at the U. Parked at the med school, walked to Tabula for my double tall mocha, crossed the street to Corwin Larimore and my drink was frozen. I was so pissed off, and it didnt help I had to take a test...

Its damn cold in the Chicagoland area this week, but these people started complaining a few weeks ago when it was still 25 above. I was walking about with my jacket unzipped and they thought I was crazy. I like the cold and dont start hating it until its below zero. Waiting for the train tonight was a bit uncomfortable though...I'm just used to climbing into a car when its like this. Some of the schools were canceled today, mostly because the bus system wasnt rolling...couldnt get the big yellows to start. And the little kiddies they didnt want running around. Its still pretty balmy compared to NoDak though. :D

Minnyhopeless update

3/4 inch of snow - labeled as a storm of course - team coverage by news channels - travel not advised at all - current temp 12.7 with winds of 4-5 mph out of the NNW - panic is promoted and abundant.

It was like a warm summer day outside today compared to the last week! People will be sunbathing pretty soon! :lol: