SiouxSports.com Forum

Doug Woog on KNOX right now *Done Now*

The Whistler

I have disliked Woog since his days coaching the St. Paul Vulcans in the old Junior hockey league in which the Fargo-Moorhead Sugar Kings played back in the mid-70's. I saw his team many times, and they were the dirtiest, cheapest hockey team I have ever seen. A Fargo player named Lawson was butt-ended in the eye by a Vulcan and the case almost ended up in court. It was obvious that they were coached to play that way. His record at Minnesota wasn't as filled with the "goon squad" mentality, but he still always seemed to have a couple of loose cannons on his teams. I think Doug liked to have that around.

His recruiting included special favors to people he must have owed. Dan Hendrickson was a slightly above average high school hockey player when he played at Richfield. I remember him well, playing on the wing with big brother Darby (who was a great player). Dan jumped to juniors as a senior in high school and played four years for the Goofs on their 4th line as a cheap shot artist. Doug also recruited a South St. Paul forward named Johnson (all I remember about him was that he had long hair and should have been playing in the MIAC, maybe). I also knew of some other pretty good talent that Woog didn't attempt to recruit in the out-state and TC areas. His lack of success at the national tournament was his own doing. His teams were very "in-bred" with most players coming from the metro area, except for the likes of Larry Olimb and a few others. Most of them were one-trick ponies that couldn't match up with tight checking and physical teams in the playoffs.

Woog and Mazocco's ramblings during the last part of Saturday's third period reminded me of a child that starts to yell and put his hands over his ears so he cannot hear what he does not want to hear (in this case, the butt-whupping on the ice their beloved #1 Goofs were taking from the #15 Sioux). Woog's comments that the Goofs couldn't really practice the power play leading up to this game because they had so many players on the injury list was hilarious to me. Maybe Don Lucia should have called Hak to find out how the Sioux did it earlier when Toews, TJ, Lammy, and Fabian were out with injuries and when the WJT guys were out of town. I actually laughed out loud when he said that. If Minnesota is the big-time program that they claim to be, maybe they'd better do some better planning on how big their roster should be, or maybe they should just contact some intramural hockey players to come out and play them so they can work on what they need to do on the power play.

I will give Woog credit for not letting Mazocco get too "homeristic," but the bottom line is that Doug should have probably been in broadcasting a long time ago, and passed up the coaching gig.

Maybe some place on Saturday night, a butt-end scarred former hockey player by the name of Tim Lawson was smiling.

I'm still wondering why Don Lucia was a no show after Saturday's game. Seemed to lack class and fortitude.

Congrats to Hak and the crew for a most impressive display of perserverance, not only for this past weekend, but for this season so far!

(Pardon the length of this post, but I haven't been able log on for a long time and this has just been welling up in me.)

Woog has only been complimentary to the Sioux the past 4-5 years and probably because we have more

Minnesota kids on our roster these days. When we had mostly Canadian players her would never give

us the credit we were do. I know this personally from talking to him in Madison a few years ago

in the hotel bar after we got beat by BC in the regionals

Where did he think the two BC players who stood out in overtime against the Sioux (Kobasew and Kolanos), were from, Poland? I guess if he can't pronounce a players name he just pretends that they don't exist. He is bitter against Canadian players because they were always his undoing as both a coach and player. ;)

I have disliked Woog since his days coaching the St. Paul Vulcans in the old Junior hockey league in which the Fargo-Moorhead Sugar Kings played back in the mid-70's. I saw his team many times, and they were the dirtiest, cheapest hockey team I have ever seen. A Fargo player named Lawson was butt-ended in the eye by a Vulcan and the case almost ended up in court. It was obvious that they were coached to play that way. His record at Minnesota wasn't as filled with the "goon squad" mentality, but he still always seemed to have a couple of loose cannons on his teams. I think Doug liked to have that around.

His recruiting included special favors to people he must have owed. Dan Hendrickson was a slightly above average high school hockey player when he played at Richfield. I remember him well, playing on the wing with big brother Darby (who was a great player). Dan jumped to juniors as a senior in high school and played four years for the Goofs on their 4th line as a cheap shot artist. Doug also recruited a South St. Paul forward named Johnson (all I remember about him was that he had long hair and should have been playing in the MIAC, maybe). I also knew of some other pretty good talent that Woog didn't attempt to recruit in the out-state and TC areas. His lack of success at the national tournament was his own doing. His teams were very "in-bred" with most players coming from the metro area, except for the likes of Larry Olimb and a few others. Most of them were one-trick ponies that couldn't match up with tight checking and physical teams in the playoffs.

Woog and Mazocco's ramblings during the last part of Saturday's third period reminded me of a child that starts to yell and put his hands over his ears so he cannot hear what he does not want to hear (in this case, the butt-whupping on the ice their beloved #1 Goofs were taking from the #15 Sioux). Woog's comments that the Goofs couldn't really practice the power play leading up to this game because they had so many players on the injury list was hilarious to me. Maybe Don Lucia should have called Hak to find out how the Sioux did it earlier when Toews, TJ, Lammy, and Fabian were out with injuries and when the WJT guys were out of town. I actually laughed out loud when he said that. If Minnesota is the big-time program that they claim to be, maybe they'd better do some better planning on how big their roster should be, or maybe they should just contact some intramural hockey players to come out and play them so they can work on what they need to do on the power play.

I will give Woog credit for not letting Mazocco get too "homeristic," but the bottom line is that Doug should have probably been in broadcasting a long time ago, and passed up the coaching gig.

Maybe some place on Saturday night, a butt-end scarred former hockey player by the name of Tim Lawson was smiling.

I'm still wondering why Don Lucia was a no show after Saturday's game. Seemed to lack class and fortitude.

Congrats to Hak and the crew for a most impressive display of perserverance, not only for this past weekend, but for this season so far!

(Pardon the length of this post, but I haven't been able log on for a long time and this has just been welling up in me.)

Lucia met with the media after Saturday's game. Video of the press conference is posted on GPL. He was complimentary of the Sioux.

Not at all - According to him, his team is young and tired after the grueling 2/3 of the season - they dearly need a week off. I would have to agree and would not be surprized if they are only able to squeeze out 1 point against UAA.

What are you talking about? I'm referring to the criticism of Lucia for supposedly not talking to the media after Saturday's game. He did come out an speak to the media, as the video on GPL proves. (As I pointed out in another thread, there was a series that Minnesota swept in Grand Forks after which Blais sent Hakstol out to deal with the media.)

As for the reasons Lucia gave for Minnesota being swept, big deal. I've been listening to similar statements being made by Sioux coaches and players for most of this season. It's what happens after practically every athletic event because sports fans expect the coaches and players to say something to explain the victory or the loss.

What are you talking about? I'm referring to the criticism of Lucia for supposedly not talking to the media after Saturday's game. He did come out an speak to the media, as the video on GPL proves. (As I pointed out in another thread, there was a series that Minnesota swept in Grand Forks after which Blais sent Hakstol out to deal with the media.)

As for the reasons Lucia gave for Minnesota being swept, big deal. I've been listening to similar statements being made by Sioux coaches and players for most of this season. It's what happens after practically every athletic event because sports fans expect the coaches and players to say something to explain the victory or the loss.

OK - sorry - I was referring to his statements at the coach's luncheon. It appears as if I was not following the thread as closely as I should have. Forgive me.

It's the same quotes we heard from Hak last year when it took Sioux players 4 weeks to come back to form after the WJC's becuase of fatigue. Every team in the league with NHL draftees is going to be young every year because of early defection.

UND UM

FR 5 9

SO 12 5

JR 4 7

SR 3 2

UND underclassmen: 17

UM 14

That criticism of Lucia doesn't hold water.

I guess I must have missed Lucia's postgame conference. On the Fox Sports North channel, I watched asst. coach John Hill's interview, and the three DOT line members' interviews, and coach Hakstol's interview, but I didn't see Lucia. My apologies if I turned off that station after they spoke with Hak. I assumed that Hill's interview was the representation for the Gophers (although I thought it was odd that he did the postgame interview because they had spoken to him earlier between periods of that game). Also, I could have just been so happy with the Sioux sweeping the Gophers that I mentally tuned out Don's interview.

I guess I must have missed Lucia's postgame conference.

He didn't do one on FSN, but he did meet with other members of the media and make post-game comments. To say that he was a "no show" who lacks class and fortitude is simply unfair criticism.

PCM: It seems you are misreading the meaning of what I posted.

Here's what I said:

"I'm still wondering why Don Lucia was a no show after Saturday's game. Seemed to lack class and fortitude."

I didn't mention the "media." I was watching the game on FSN and Lucia failed to show. Period!

If the Gophers had won both of those games or even just the Saturday night game, I wonder if Don would have been on FSN?

Now, you can stop defending Lucia. I have apologized for confusing some of you that he didn't speak with anyone from the media. I just felt it was odd that the asst. coach, who is usually the between periods' interviewee also did the postgame on the Gophers' home network. That's all I have to say.

And all I have to say that if you're going to go off on a coach for doing that, then you better be prepared to go off on Sioux coaches who have done the exact same thing.

I can remember when Blaiser left the game right after to go on a recruiting trip and wasn't available for the post game interview.

I think some are making too much of it. I personally though it was funny listening to Hill who was very able, talk about the WJC this long after it. Sorry but UND had 3 guys in the WJC and you don't hear the coaching staff making excuses about it.