SiouxSports.com Forum

Now It's Winter

GeauxSioux

It appears that winter has finally arrived in GF. I'm waiting, not anxiously, for that cold blast to work it's way down to the Gulf Coast.

GF is cuurently at -17, while Pensacola is 59 degrees. That is a 76 degree difference.

GF high for today is -8, while Pensacola is 70.

I'm going to enjoy this while I can, because as I said it is going to plunge down south.

I had a meeting over in Kiln MS this week, at which one of the people had come in from Denver. All of the Southerners were talking about hold cold it must be in Denver. The guy from Denver chimed in that Denver doesn't compare to Grand Forks, ND. Of course at that point I told him that I was from GF and we had a long conversation about North Dakota. Turns out we were both involved in the same project 17 years ago at GFAFB.

Keep warm.

I would think that a smaller shop would be cheaper than a dealership.

As for me, I spent the day indoors, and I'm not taking the kids to hockey practice tonight.....it's not worth a fuel line freezing up on during the 30 mile drive.

Like making them walk 30 miles is a better option. :D

Any suggestions for reliable, cheap places to get a block heater installed? Dodge quoted me ~$175-185 for my block heater on a 2007 Caliber. Yikes! I thought EBH's are pretty much the same for all vehicles? Rydell wants ~$100 for my wife's 2000 Chevy Impala.

Aaron

You just spent about $17,000 on a new Caliber (give or take $3,000). Go ahead and spring for the block heater at the dealership. :D

You just spent about $17,000 on a new Caliber (give or take $3,000). Go ahead and spring for the block heater at the dealership. :D

.......if it was one of the two on the lot this summer-with the V10 Hemis it was closer to $40k...... :) Not that I was looking at them or anything.

I don't know if it will be any cheaper, but you might try Gateway Amoco or maybe Home of Economy.

I would try Gateway too, I get everything done there, good people, plus when it gets above 32+ degrees the free car wash comes in handy.

So how is this open skate with all the Sioux players going to work tomorrow with it being so cold

I'm building one on Dodge's website......they most likely were Charger Daytona R/T's. The block heater was only a $40 upgrade in cost on there.....see if you can talk them down in price.....like maybe stopping in and telling the place you bought it at that you thought there was one in it when you bought it.

What!? I would.

Ya... well my main problem with the Dodge dealer here is that the maintenance people are from a nationwide chain. I had some issues before with an oil change when they discovered an "oil leak". Funny thing is there were never any spots on the driveway. They took the car in and did "warranty" work for an entire day replacing a seal. My theory is they replaced a seal (or maybe they didn't) and then charged Dodge for a day's worth of work. Maybe I'm just paranoid with all the bad mechanics out there :D

This is the first place I've seen where half the dealerships are owned by a nationwide comapny. I'd much rather send my business to a local group (I got the Caliber in OK).

Aaron

Ya... well my main problem with the Dodge dealer here is that the maintenance people are from a nationwide chain. I had some issues before with an oil change when they discovered an "oil leak". Funny thing is there were never any spots on the driveway. They took the car in and did "warranty" work for an entire day replacing a seal. My theory is they replaced a seal (or maybe they didn't) and then charged Dodge for a day's worth of work. Maybe I'm just paranoid with all the bad mechanics out there :angry:

This is the first place I've seen where half the dealerships are owned by a nationwide comapny. I'd much rather send my business to a local group (I got the Caliber in OK).

Aaron

WHAT !!!! No block heaters in Oklahoma!? :lol:

Even this far North, for the second weekend in a row, it was high 60s and I got to drive the convertible with the top down (a rarity in January). Unfortunately, my time on the correct side of that blue line seems to be coming to end. It's supposed to fall to 26F tomorrow night :sad:

currweather.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from a friend in GF this morning saying he is thankful there is no wind as the temperature itself is cold enough today without adding the wind to it. I remember being thankful once like that. I was in Bismarck one morning in December of 1983 and got up to -40 degrees and thought it wasn't bad because of the lack of wind.