SiouxSports.com Forum

The Impact of FSSN

GeauxSioux

A couple of months ago on this thread there was a discussion regarding FSSN and it's impact for UND and it's impact in the search for a conference. Posters from both NDSU and SDSU both poo-poo'd it's influence. A couple of months pass and now television is hot topic at both SDSU and possibly NDSU.

SDSU on TV

The big brass better take a look at this news...

Someone at UND had some vision in getting FSSN going. Thanks.

Go Sioux !!!!

The FSSN is an amazing asset for UND to have. And I believe it will be a nice feather in our cap to show conferences during the DI move. I must say I am very curious to see some of the new toys that may appear when the new fightingsioux.com comes online. Streaming internet video perhaps? And how may some of these new features tie into the FSSN. Anything UND can do to continue to grow the FSSN and UND's visability will only help out in the long run.

There are a few things that I think could be done to make the FSSN even better. What about the FSSN re-airing Sioux Sports Weekly throughout the week. And why couldn't studio 1 also be carried on the FSSN. Maybe Studio 1 could possibly produce a seperate half hour show covering Sioux sports. Just some ideas.

And additions like this are always nice to see for UND!!!

There are a few things that I think could be done to make the FSSN even better. What about the FSSN re-airing Sioux Sports Weekly throughout the week. And why couldn't studio 1 also be carried on the FSSN. Maybe Studio 1 could possibly produce a seperate half hour show covering Sioux sports. Just some ideas.

I've often wonderred why they don't re-air myself. I believe that some areas don't dedicate the channel all the time, but in GF it is.

It think that the impact of the FSSN is actually quite extensive. It is indeed a great asset to UND. The fact that it is on most of the MidCo-served cities in North Dakota, along with it being availabe in the largest cities of South Dakota speaks volumes. I have wandered into many "establishments" all over ND and have seen the FSSN schedule poster on the wall. Another measuring-stick for determining its impact is the number of non-MidCo cable systems that have picked it up, primarily in Minnesota, but also in places like Fargo and Jamestown. The satellite aspect of it is also wonderful. To hear about all of those that gather in Places like Joe Sensor's in the Twin Cities, and R.T. O'Sullivan's in AZ, or watch on satellite from the comfort of their own home from anywhere in the country is a great thing. A school like UND that has Law, Medicine, and Aviation programs that attracts and sends alot of graduates away from the Upper Midwest is lucky to have such a setup as the FSSN, as it keeps alums more "in-touch" with the University so they can follow their team, which no doubt has an effect on contributions.

I've often wonderred why they don't re-air myself. I believe that some areas don't dedicate the channel all the time, but in GF it is.

I'd imagine they don't re-air stuff because time is money. They have to pay for the time they have reserved on the satellite that they use. I imagine there would not be much point in putting Sioux Sports Weekly on it, since it airs on WDAZ in GF and WDAY in Fargo, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both UND's and NDSU's coaches shows also aired in Bismarck and Minot on the ForumComm stations out there?

As far as my pipe-dream (I know this stuff won't happen) for what the FSSN could become, it goes something like this:

-Televise all football games. (With DI, this could be realistic. Montana and Montana St. get all of their games on TV, and pre-empt network programming to do it. With FSSN, ForumComm wouldn't have to pre-empt any ABC programming.)

-Televise all conference Men's and Women's Basketball games played at home. Alot of people think TV hurts attendance. I, for one, think any TV exposure generates interest, something UND basketball desperately needs. Again, we're talking cable, not pre-empting programming on WDAZ.

-Re-airing Sioux Sports Weekly at least once, perhaps twice a week. Especially the night before a basketball, football, or hockey game./

-"The Dave Hakstol Show" --I think it is funny that in a state where UND hockey is by far and away the most popular sport in the region, that we have coach's shows for football and basketball, but not for hockey. :silly:

-I agree with DakotaDan about involving Studio One. Perhaps UND could separate itself from other schools and make a name for itself in the Mass Communications arena by involving students to do broadcasts of features, previews, pre-game shows, even play-by-play. This would also offset the cost of having WDAZ personnel devote their time to UND athletics.

-Re-airing of old games on a weekly basis. Specifically, UND playoff FB games, UND-NDSU football games, UND-UM hockey games, and UND-NDSU basketball games. Also replays of National Championship games from Hockey, Women's Basketball, and Football. Could be sticky getting the rights from ESPN though.

It think that the impact of the FSSN is actually quite extensive. It is indeed a great asset to UND. The fact that it is on most of the MidCo-served cities in North Dakota, along with it being availabe in the largest cities of South Dakota speaks volumes. I have wandered into many "establishments" all over ND and have seen the FSSN schedule poster on the wall. Another measuring-stick for determining its impact is the number of non-MidCo cable systems that have picked it up, primarily in Minnesota, but also in places like Fargo and Jamestown. The satellite aspect of it is also wonderful. To hear about all of those that gather in Places like Joe Sensor's in the Twin Cities, and R.T. O'Sullivan's in AZ, or watch on satellite from the comfort of their own home from anywhere in the country is a great thing. A school like UND that has Law, Medicine, and Aviation programs that attracts and sends alot of graduates away from the Upper Midwest is lucky to have such a setup as the FSSN, as it keeps alums more "in-touch" with the University so they can follow their team, which no doubt has an effect on contributions.

so true. When I first heard about the FSSN I couldn't believe it. A sports team showing their games FOR FREE! (well, you need the setup or have cable) but as a viewer outside of ND this is great. Love watchign the games (and before someone says it...yes I am a UMD Bulldogs fan but I like watching the Sioux also). There have been some UMD games that the only way to see it is with the FSSN (Friday games...Duluth doesn't show alot of them unless its UMTC)

I'd imagine they don't re-air stuff because time is money. They have to pay for the time they have reserved on the satellite that they use. I imagine there would not be much point in putting Sioux Sports Weekly on it, since it airs on WDAZ in GF and WDAY in Fargo, and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both UND's and NDSU's coaches shows also aired in Bismarck and Minot on the ForumComm stations out there?

a couple years ago they showed the Sioux Sports Weekly show on Thursday nights on FSSN. I guess they can't come up with the money for 1/2 hour no commercials? But yes it does cost money (thats why the GVSU game is with the "home" announcers. WDAZ would have to pay for 2 uplinks (one with Sweeney doing audio and the FSSN feed with commercials). Why couldnt they show it Friday before the game? Turn on the transmitter at 6:45, show the weekly show then the game.

As far as my pipe-dream (I know this stuff won't happen) for what the FSSN could become, it goes something like this:

-Televise all football games. (With DI, this could be realistic. Montana and Montana St. get all of their games on TV, and pre-empt network programming to do it. With FSSN, ForumComm wouldn't have to pre-empt any ABC programming.)

so true. Montana pre-empts all CBS stuff for the games and Mont State is ABC. They even post the satellite coordinates (they change weekly).

-Televise all conference Men's and Women's Basketball games played at home. Alot of people think TV hurts attendance. I, for one, think any TV exposure generates interest, something UND basketball desperately needs. Again, we're talking cable, not pre-empting programming on WDAZ.

maybe a couple non conference games and the rest be conference.

-Re-airing Sioux Sports Weekly at least once, perhaps twice a week. Especially the night before a basketball, football, or hockey game./

-"The Dave Hakstol Show" --I think it is funny that in a state where UND hockey is by far and away the most popular sport in the region, that we have coach's shows for football and basketball, but not for hockey. :silly:

agreed on both accounts

-Re-airing of old games on a weekly basis. Specifically, UND playoff FB games, UND-NDSU football games, UND-UM hockey games, and UND-NDSU basketball games. Also replays of National Championship games from Hockey, Women's Basketball, and Football. Could be sticky getting the rights from ESPN though.

anything that DAZ owns the rights to would be no issue. Its the ESPN stuff that is an issue.

But I guess the big thing is how much money this would cost. Satellite space does cost some money but I wonder if you get it monthly if that costs less? Maybe they could accept donations like them religious chanenls do? (just a thought)

FSSN is a great asset, but UND can't rest on its laurels. It needs to expand FSSN, both in terms of events it airs, but also in terms of coverage. Making it a 24/7 channel and breaking into the DirecTV/Dish Network market would be huge. And breaking into the Twin Cities market would also be huge. I realize that it would never be part of a basic package in a place like the Twin Cities, but I think it's a realistic goal to make it a part of an expanded package option, or at least a pay option.