SiouxSports.com Forum

My opinion is changing

Flatland

Mr. LaPoint should still be in jail for what he did to you. No justice at all, none what so ever.

At the most he should have gotten kicked out of school for using the University's internet network to do his dirty deed.

Oh, and I stand corrected. Gary is the only one who can delete comments from his MySpace account. I guess he doesn't want anyone to know there were Native American's who support the fight against the NC$$.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and I stand corrected. Gary is the only one who can delete comments from his MySpace account. I guess he doesn't want anyone to know there were Native American's who support the fight against the NC$$.

If someone deletes their account, their posts will be deleted too; from what I have seen on myspace.com.

If someone deletes their account, their posts will be deleted too; from what I have seen on myspace.com.

His account hasn't been deleted just those comments that I posted earlier. The posts about the rally and the three Indian students who thanked Wayne for his work.

I'll say it again, and again...

Unfortunately the debate brings out a lot of bad on all sides when a person is really passionate about it. Every person confronts the situation differently, and I'm sure there's never a right way. However people can still approach the situation with maturity, without name calling or harassing people personally. It's all a very unfortunate situation, but if perhaps we displayed more sensitivity to the issue and to those who oppose it and defend it, a more civil way of coming up with a decision on the matter can happen.

Many people get completely tired of the situation, regardless of how they feel, and wish it would be over with so that they don't have to have it doesn't have to be thrown in their face on occassion. I'm not here to change anyone's minds or anything like that. But I'm trying to be devils advocate I suppose. I know what its like to be a UND student just trying to get educated but many people get so caught up in this debate that even the professors stop doing what they are supposed be doing, and focus on the 'issue' in its class, as one woman phrased it to me after a racist comment was made towards native americans and myself. And now I know that it goes further, that people within the community get harassed about their feelings on the nickname, whether for or against. Particular members have shown that they spend much time trying to find out personal information on those who are against the nickname and harass them.

I know the majority of UND sports fans don't intend any harm or racism, but it just happens. UND definitely attempts to make people aware of their negative behaviors, etc, I think thats great. But if we can't control opposing teams and those loud lewd people at games, sports bars etc, that's where you start getting that offensive behavior. And many people just want it to stop being towards Native Americans. I am a sports fan, I sit in those same crowds as you do, I know what is said, I know what is done. And it's just uncalled for. How can you say someone 'Sioux' shouldn't take it personally if they hear comments in the crowds or read in forums such as in this website? Because as I have been taught as a child, and continue to hear to this day that there is nothing more important than one's sense of identity and self-worth. And I'm tired of seeing all this culturally abusive behavior.

I apologize for not responding to everyone's questions. I have recieved lots of comments, etc. But I can't get to all of them, and I can't read everything I'm asked or told to. And I don't try to punch below the belt no matter how hard someone attempts to punch me.

Unfortunately the debate brings out a lot of bad on all sides when a person is really passionate about it. Every person confronts the situation differently, and I'm sure there's never a right way. However people can still approach the situation with maturity, without name calling or harassing people personally. It's all a very unfortunate situation, but if perhaps we displayed more sensitivity to the issue and to those who oppose it and defend it, a more civil way of coming up with a decision on the matter can happen.

Many people get completely tired of the situation, regardless of how they feel, and wish it would be over with so that they don't have to have it doesn't have to be thrown in their face on occassion. I'm not here to change anyone's minds or anything like that. But I'm trying to be devils advocate I suppose. I know what its like to be a UND student just trying to get educated but many people get so caught up in this debate that even the professors stop doing what they are supposed be doing, and focus on the 'issue' in its class, as one woman phrased it to me after a racist comment was made towards native americans and myself. And now I know that it goes further, that people within the community get harassed about their feelings on the nickname, whether for or against. Particular members have shown that they spend much time trying to find out personal information on those who are against the nickname and harass them.

I know the majority of UND sports fans don't intend any harm or racism, but it just happens. UND definitely attempts to make people aware of their negative behaviors, etc, I think thats great. But if we can't control opposing teams and those loud lewd people at games, sports bars etc, that's where you start getting that offensive behavior. And many people just want it to stop being towards Native Americans. I am a sports fan, I sit in those same crowds as you do, I know what is said, I know what is done. And it's just uncalled for. How can you say someone 'Sioux' shouldn't take it personally if they hear comments in the crowds or read in forums such as in this website? Because as I have been taught as a child, and continue to hear to this day that there is nothing more important than one's sense of identity and self-worth. And I'm tired of seeing all this culturally abusive behavior.

I apologize for not responding to everyone's questions. I have recieved lots of comments, etc. But I can't get to all of them, and I can't read everything I'm asked or told to. And I don't try to punch below the belt no matter how hard someone attempts to punch me.

Undsportsfan,

I've found your posts very hard to stomach because they seem to be all touchy feely...Basically, if it feels good to you than its okay, but if it doesn't feel good to you then its got to be bad. You constantly preach understanding, but it seems to be only the opposing group needing to understand you and not the other way around. Lastly, you seem to offer some advice on how to deal with the situation if the name changes (Basically accept it and work with the opposing group to accept their feelings), but I truly wonder if you are going to be willing to do the same if the court case and the final ruling goes the way of the majority?? Your response should be very telling to your true intentions about this subject.

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

PS If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then get out of the kitchen!

I am sorry, undsportsfan, that you have had to endure the problems of this situation.

May I ask if the problem has gotten worse since the NCAA stuck their nose into it? Do you think the NCAA has really helped to improve the situation?

I know that the use of the Sioux name really wasn't talked about or thought about much around here until it got dragged into the mud. Now people don't know how to act. If I see an Indian wearing Sioux logo gear, do I bring it up.. no, but some people do, only because it has been in the news too much. If I am talking to my Indian friends, do I ask them how they feel, no, because I am uncomfortable about it now. Did I feel uncomfortable 2 years, or even 1 year ago? No.

The only thing that has happened is that everyone has become ultra-sensitive over the whole thing. Should we change the logo? I don't know right now. But I do know that we should not change it under the pressure of an organization such as the NCAA. I will not change my mind on that. :D

PS: I have noticed that even the Spirit Lake Nation website has changed back and forth between Spirit Lake Nation Dakotah Sioux Tribe and Spirit Lake Dakotah Nation. Why is that happening?

I am sorry, undsportsfan, that you have had to endure the problems of this situation.

May I ask if the problem has gotten worse since the NCAA stuck their nose into it? Do you think the NCAA has really helped to improve the situation?

I know that the use of the Sioux name really wasn't talked about or thought about much around here until it got dragged into the mud. Now people don't know how to act. If I see an Indian wearing Sioux logo gear, do I bring it up.. no, but some people do, only because it has been in the news too much. If I am talking to my Indian friends, do I ask them how they feel, no, because I am uncomfortable about it now. Did I feel uncomfortable 2 years, or even 1 year ago? No.

The only thing that has happened is that everyone has become ultra-sensitive over the whole thing. Should we change the logo? I don't know right now. But I do know that we should not change it under the pressure of an organization such as the NCAA. I will not change my mind on that. :D

PS: I have noticed that even the Spirit Lake Nation website has changed back and forth between Spirit Lake Nation Dakotah Sioux Tribe and Spirit Lake Dakotah Nation. Why is that happening?

I can say that in my Personal opinion. that NCAA has made it worse yes, by their statement of calling the nickname and logo hostile and abusive, but I do believe it promotes and opens the door wide open to hostility and cultural abuse.

I know a guy that had asked me my feelings about the nickname recently, after knowing him for a couple of years... Now when I see him, he shouts, "Go Sioux." and looks me directly in the eye as he says it. Hoping to prompt an argument. Needless to say we don't see each other often. But that's sad again, people are torn apart, this community is torn apart. Because this aquaintance and I disagree on one issue, he decides he's going to harass me or attempt to irritate me any chance he gets.

Also, I am not a member of Spirit Lake. I didn't even know that the Spirit Lake had a website. You'll have to check with someone that is an involved member... but that's interesting... probably stems from the name given to their tribe/nation by the government? Many nations call themselves differently than what name they are given. Not too sure. Names will be debateable I suppose because every tribe/nation has it's own word. If I say Anishinabae, most people would be unfamiliar... but if I say Ojibway or Chippewa, they'd say, "ohhh." Which usually is the case.

Undsportsfan,

I've found your posts very hard to stomach because they seem to be all touchy feely...Basically, if it feels good to you than its okay, but if it doesn't feel good to you then its got to be bad. You constantly preach understanding, but it seems to be only the opposing group needing to understand you and not the other way around. Lastly, you seem to offer some advice on how to deal with the situation if the name changes (Basically accept it and work with the opposing group to accept their feelings), but I truly wonder if you are going to be willing to do the same if the court case and the final ruling goes the way of the majority?? Your response should be very telling to your true intentions about this subject.

BOBIWABUCHIFAN

PS If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then get out of the kitchen!

Well maybe they are touchy feely because people are trying to personally attack me and my family? And I don't appreciate anyone going there.

I understand why people hang on to the name so dearly and intensely. Once again, I am a sports fan. I know what tradition means. But that doesn't mean traditions can justify this behavior I have witnessed.

And just because the court may rule in favor of UND doesn't mean the subject will Ever die. Once again, it'll always and forever be an issue until it is laid to rest by retiring the name and logo.

haha... funny you used that heat in the kitchen thing...

I guess I don't understand how the actions of an individual can be tied into something else that is separate and is only similar in name only?

UND says every game, every venue, up and down, left and right that they chose the name "Fighting Sioux" out of a sign of respect towards the tenacity and fierceness displayed by the Sioux warriors of times past. Now, you can agree or disagree with that all you want, but that's not the issue with the lawsuit nor is it the issue here.

What IS the issue is that the actions of idiots, UND students, GF residents, or whatever, are being misconstrued as being associated with UND's nickname when they commit stupid and often criminal acts against people of Native American descent. They are entirely seperate!

Again, how is it right if I beat up Hans Krantz, a 6'1" tall blone haired, blue eyed person of German descent being that I am Jewish? Because Germans killed off 6 million of "my people" including members of my grandparents family makes it ok? Some call that a hate crime. Alright, if you can prove that the only reason why I attacked him was because he was blonde haired and blue eyed (aka Aryan).

I don't see these acts of racism as having anything to do with the nickname. And, as Dartmouth has shown, the nickname's removal won't stop these things from happening. What HAS to be accepted out of all of this is that some people are idiots and racists. These people deserve censure, marginalization, and, if warranted, criminal proceedings brought against them. Explaining how they became what they became is nothing more than window dressing and statistical factoids useful to those who spend their lives in research or those who wish to indulge themselves in activist endeavours because 99% of the time they took individualized paths towards becoming who they are.

There is no secret society that fosters attempts to bring more racists in the world. There is only organizations that tends to seek out and entice pre-existing racists to group together and cause dissent, such as the Neo-Nazis and the KKK. Why focus our attention on UND when we could be trying to focus our attention trying to bring about tolerance and ending the KKK and Neo-Nazis (as examples) ability to recruit?

Ending the nickname isn't going to do anything for the Native Americans. It's only going to make them feel like they took on "the man" and won. After that, they'll feel dissatisfied with the result and want more.

I'm not going to sit here and tell undsportsfan or anyone that Native Americans have it good, even those at UND. Their lives are difficult even with the 30 or so programs designed to help them out. However, focusing on improving the programs and those UND students going back to the reservation and promoting education to raise the graduation rate above the levels it is now (54% in 2001 in ND alone, worse in other states, IIRC) and raising the education of the Native Americans will do more for the Native Americans in terms of eliminating racism and hardship than the removal of the nickname ever will.

I know a guy that had asked me my feelings about the nickname recently, after knowing him for a couple of years... Now when I see him, he shouts, "Go Sioux." and looks me directly in the eye as he says it. Hoping to prompt an argument. Needless to say we don't see each other often. But that's sad again, people are torn apart, this community is torn apart. Because this aquaintance and I disagree on one issue, he decides he's going to harass me or attempt to irritate me any chance he gets.

I am the type that would just yell back "No Go Sioux" or "something" and smile back.

Being on opposite ends of an issue does not have to break up friendships if you don't let it. Just keep it light-hearted.

My daughter is a TOTAL liberal and I am very conservative. We do not agree on many issues, but we still love each other dearly. That's just life.

I understand why people hang on to the name so dearly and intensely. Once again, I am a sports fan. I know what tradition means. But that doesn't mean traditions can justify this behavior I have witnessed.

And just because the court may rule in favor of UND doesn't mean the subject will Ever die. Once again, it'll always and forever be an issue until it is laid to rest by retiring the name and logo.

If and when the Sioux name is retired at UND, it will not lay this issue to rest as you suggest. That is just my insight into it, but I don't see this issue ever being totally resolved, regardless of the outcome of the NCAA suit, or UND's actions after the lawsuit is settled either way.

This issue will always be with us.

I am the type that would just yell back "No Go Sioux" or "something" and smile back.

Being on opposite ends of an issue does not have to break up friendships if you don't let it. Just keep it light-hearted.

My daughter is a TOTAL liberal and I am very conservative. We do not agree on many issues, but we still love each other dearly. That's just life.

You're absolutely right that it doesnt have to break up friendships... Most of the time I do take it light hearted. But if a person you see pushes you every moment you are together. Even when I ask them to drop it or change the subject and they refuse, I have had to make the choice not to let them in. Fortunately, they weren't very good friends to begin with, just aquaintances. Unfortunately, they were once my spouse's friends. They still talk... but my spouse had asked them to quit being disrespectful to me and our family, and that unfortunately ended their friendships. They still talk occassionally, but it has all been left to small talk when I'm around. Because as soon as I cross their path, they make a comment about the nickname. I usually smile or ignore them.

I have to say I'm a moderate. I'm very conservative about somethings, and others very much on the other side. I tried to be moderate in this situation... but after a while it got to be way too much. And I don't want my children to have to deal with wondering why someone says something about the Sioux, and us question ourselves, when that person was actually meaning the Fighting Sioux, not my child's bloodline. Nor do I want to see this happen to anyone elses children, no matter what age.

Well maybe they are touchy feely because people are trying to personally attack me and my family? And I don't appreciate anyone going there.

haha... funny you used that heat in the kitchen thing...

Why is it your way or no way. If the court rules in UND's favor, why is it not done. Why do you feel that you have the only opinion that matters. When UND wins and they will, you need to accept it as you would want us to do if UND loses, which they won't. I do not understand they mentality there can be no compromise. You want all or nothing and that will get you no where in life.

Unlike many of you, who I admit are more tolerant and trusting than I, since her first post, I have taken the 'back against the wall' stance re. undsportsfan. I believe she came here with an agenda already in place. She is not as forthright as I am yet manages to insult posters in an underhanded manner. Then she dares post that she doesn't call people names, etc. There's more than one way to insult someone and she has managed it. When she said the claims about Gary LaPointe were heresay, that did it for me. Jim even posted how we know that Gary LaPointe is GrahamKracker. She ignored his post. Given this ONE thing, I have no respect for her or her position.

Her earlier posts were worded in such a way as to imply that she didn't know Gary (November 17). Yet she asks me to back off because he's 'taking care of his family'. Hmmm, if she doesn't know him how does she know what he is doing. Is this someone who tells the truth? IMHO, no. I have no respect for anyone I believe to be a liar.

Gary LaPointe's MySpace account is public. No hacking needed to read it. No, I did not go searching for it but read it I will. Post information such as three Indian students thanked Wayne for his work, yes, I will. It is posted publically already. This is information that is very interesting to SS.com members and directly related to this thread.

Based on what I read in LaPointe's MySpace, IMHO, dumbperson and undsportsfan are friends of his. Given that, I believe they are fullfilling his agenda by posting here. I don't know what undsportsfan is referring to when she mentions concern about her family being attacked. How is she or her family being attacked? We don't agree with her? Is she related to Gary LaPointe? That would explain alot.

Gary LaPointe's agenda when he hacked into my account and his subsequent actions were vile. He wanted me to be viewed as one of the most racist people any SS.com member or reader has ever encountered. Many of you knew who I was because I didn't and don't have the need to hide behind a user name. What he did was as evil as if he had put a burning cross on my neighbor's lawn and left a note saying, 'From Jozee McIntosh.'

undsportsfan wants me to get over this. Ha, ain't gonna happen.

Do I hate Native Americans? No. If I did I wouldn't have just extended my stay here on the Navajo Nation an additional three months. It certainly isn't for the money that I'm doing this. I have to ask, what are dumbpeople, undsportsfan and Gary LaPointe doing for 'their people'? Their bitchin' about racist Grand Forks and UND and posting their oppositions to the Fighting Sioux name and logo on SS.com and other forums. Who, I ask, is doing more for 'their people'?

I have as my laptop screen saver a picture of Andrew Kozek wearing his FF Championship t-shirt with the Sioux logo on it, TJ Oshie wearing his Warroad t-shirt with a picture of an Indian Chief on it, Mike Prpich wearing a cap with the Sioux logo on it and me wearing a BIG grin. We have our arms around each other. I have opened my laptop at work on a few different occasions. Like most people, my fellow workers want to know who the boys are. I tell them they are UND Fighting Sioux hockey players. Do you know what we talk about then? THE ATHLETES, WCHA hockey and football; not the Sioux name or logo!!!!!! This community is very proud of it's athletes and athletic programs. The staff in the ER (90% + Navajo) were mildly interested in UND hockey and more interested in our football program. Hmmm, hostile and abusive???

So, as far as I'm concerned, undsportsfan can ditch the 'holier than thou' bullshat 'cause I ain't buying it.

Based on what I read in LaPointe's MySpace, IMHO, dumbperson and undsportsfan are friends of his. Given that, I believe they are fullfilling his agenda by posting here. I don't know what undsportsfan is referring to when she mentions concern about her family being attacked. How is she or her family being attacked? We don't agree with her? Is she related to Gary LaPointe? That would explain alot.

Nope. I only know him in passing, sorry, not a relative or a close friend.

And in reference to attacks, that is not saying you Jozee ( that's you're name right? you posted that a few threads ago) in particular... but you sure are trying to attack personally. It's fine though. I don't mind. I'll have to take it with a grain of salt.

I don't agree with anyone personally attacking anyone when it comes to this issue. But it happens. Obviously. I don't agree that it was okay that someone hacked into your account. I don't agree with anything like that. However when you continue to harass people over the issue, it just validates how bad the behavior is with this nickname issue on BOTH sides.

I've said I once supported the nickname. I even own Fighting Sioux regalia. Do I wear it anymore? Nope. I looked at both sides of the debate and decided that I'd like to see it changed.

Once upon a time I thought when the State Board of Educated said the nickname should stay, I thought it'd be over. And it wasn't. So obviously, in my opinion, those that are battle with the nickname with protesting, etc, will continue to do so until it's changed. I might not go sit at the picket line, but I don't shout profanity as I drive by.

I know I won't change minds here. But atleast I've given people a different perspective on this without using hurtful words or belittled myself to name calling when trying to get my point across, which I'm sure has happened before I ever posted here, and what we witnessed a few days ago.

Well, you all have a great night. Thanks everyone who's atleast made more civil conversation and stuck to the issue.

I have a question for you undsportsfan. You said you believe that people against the nickname will not stop protesting until the name is changed. Why do you believe that all of the people in favor of the nickname would give up if the name is changed? I know that a lot of people would follow what ever decisions were made. But we have seen at Dartmouth that a lot of people don't let go. That could be as divisive as the current situation or worse, again see Dartmouth.

I have a question for you undsportsfan. You said you believe that people against the nickname will not stop protesting until the name is changed. Why do you believe that all of the people in favor of the nickname would give up if the name is changed? I know that a lot of people would follow what ever decisions were made. But we have seen at Dartmouth that a lot of people don't let go. That could be as divisive as the current situation or worse, again see Dartmouth.

And if UND has to stop officially using the Sioux name and the logo, no one will be policing how the Sioux name is used. At least now, people are concerned about keeping the respect and having honor for the Sioux name. I can see this backfiring and things could possibly get pretty ugly. Only time will tell. But again, look at Dartmouth. The Dakota Student could get some competition.

I guess I'm struggling with Undsportsfan's logic....If the nickname is put to rest, in her words, then we all must accept this and work with the university and the american indian students to find another name to represent our university. But the converse of the ruling does not hold for Undsportsfan...Nickname is defended in a court of law and precedent is set that it is not in itself hostile and abusive and thus the university and the american indian students, who oppose the nickname, will now continue to support the nickname and will help it continue to propsper and garner more respect. Why do I get the feeling that Undsportsfan would not be willing to live with the converse of the position as she would have all of us live with the loss of the name? Still haven't gotten an answer yet.

Lastly, I think undsportsfan is trolling in SS.com so she can gather additional responses from people in the webpage to forward to the NCAA in their case against the nickname. My honest opinion, but I hope I am wrong.

Bobiwabuchifan

If and when the Sioux name is retired at UND, it will not lay this issue to rest as you suggest. That is just my insight into it, but I don't see this issue ever being totally resolved, regardless of the outcome of the NCAA suit, or UND's actions after the lawsuit is settled either way.

This issue will always be with us.

All changing the name will do is build resentment towards native people, Dartmouth is a perfect example/case study of this, they have way more issues than we have here. People are racist because they have racist views. Not because of a sport team moniker.

We will be waiting for your answer. Because that question has been asked in various forms throught this thread and you still haven't answer the question.

We will be waiting for your answer. Because that question has been asked in various forms throught this thread and you still haven't answer the question.

I know people will still wear their Fighting Sioux regalia with pride even if the name is retired. However those who are affected by the name personally, mostly Native people, will be able to have one door shut to that once allowed racism. Yes racism will always exist, but atleast people won't be able to hide behind a sports nickname if that is the case. And those of us who enjoy sports, can go to the game without hearing words being yelled out that seem to be directed towards their heritage, or seeing imagery being used disrespectfully.

If the name is retired, say if I'm sitting at some concert or other event, perhaps in Minnesota, with my children and family.. and hear someone come by knowing I'm from North Dakota, and say, "Sioux Suck!" I will know that it is actually being directed towards my family and can handle it the situation without someone hiding behind "I was referring to UND."

anyway... I don't have time to write a big essay, so this will have to suffice for an answer.

I know people will still wear their Fighting Sioux regalia with pride even if the name is retired. However those who are affected by the name personally, mostly Native people, will be able to have one door shut to that once allowed racism. Yes racism will always exist, but atleast people won't be able to hide behind a sports nickname if that is the case. And those of us who enjoy sports, can go to the game without hearing words being yelled out that seem to be directed towards their heritage, or seeing imagery being used disrespectfully.

If the name is retired, say if I'm sitting at some concert or other event, perhaps in Minnesota, with my children and family.. and hear someone come by knowing I'm from North Dakota, and say, "Sioux Suck!" I will know that it is actually being directed towards my family and can handle it the situation without someone hiding behind "I was referring to UND."

anyway... I don't have time to write a big essay, so this will have to suffice for an answer.

How is someone to know you are from North Dakota if you are in another state. Just looking at you because you are Native American, I find it hard to believe that someone is going to assume you are from ND and say 'Sioux Suck'. Granted the form of that "chant" is not favorable, it has everything to do with a sporting nature. If someone is at an athletic event and is cheering against the Sioux with that phrase, I doubt they are thinking....'I am making sure all Native Americans know I am insulting them'. Seems a bit over the top.