SiouxSports.com Forum

lamoreaux

kip

Your not the guy by chance that thought Walski is better than Grieco over on Brad's blog are you? :blush:

I am not sure what Grieco would have to do in a game to make some happy, :huh: I have seen some of these rediculous comments unpredictable... Grecio has won three games and gotten a tie, that 7 out of 8 possible points. Its not like his name is Shane Connelly from Wisconsin who has a .758 saver percentage, now that guy is unpredictable and not very good. Grecio has played good in the games I saw him. Also he had a 94% save percentage over the two games.

The guy let three goals all weekend. SCSU isn't exactly a hack team either. I suppose Grieco would have had to pitch two shut outs for some to say that he had an ok weekend. In case some of you guys haven't been watching Phil hasn't played all that well his last two times out. It would appear that Phil might have to earn his playing time.

I'm sorry I can't take credit for what was said on Brad's blog??? Not to knock greico, hes obviosly the next goalie after phil leaves but he did get torched for nine agianst Mankato over two games.yes, those were his first two college games, but you should be able to see how I think he might be a little un-proven. His record (3-0-1) 2 agianst mankato 2 against SCSU. Mankato doesn't have the fire-power they have had in the past (Backes) so letting in 9 is alittle sketchy. SCSU has a very solid first line and he shut them down which is impressive. Lets just not pack his bags for the hobey ceremony yet. All i'm saying is that if UND is going to make a run at the title Phil probably the guy.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I can't take credit for what was said on Brad's blog??? Not to knock greico, hes obviosly the next goalie after phil leaves but he did get torched for nine agianst Mankato over two games.yes, those were his first two college games, but you should be able to see how I think he might be a little un-proven. His record (3-0-1) 2 agianst mankato 2 against SCSU. Mankato doesn't have the fire-power they have had in the past (Backes) so letting in 9 is alittle sketchy. SCSU has a very solid first line and he shut them down which is impressive. Lets just not pack his bags for the hobey ceremony yet. All i'm saying is that if UND is going to make a run at the title Phil probably the guy.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you on this one.

First off, Mankato is a decent team, but still a bottom tier one, that much is true. But most of the nine Grieco gave up were PP goals. How many 5x5 goals did he give up that weekend? 2? Our PK was AWFUL that weekend. Let's not lump all those goals on Grieco. Remember, defense is a TEAM effort, not just the goaltender.

SCSU is a top tier team and, yeah, depth is an issue with them, but they have a great goaltender (two actually) and a coaching staff that knows what the heck they are talking about (first for them since Brooks). SCSU is no pushover. Not anymore.

Nobody is stating Grieco is hobey material. No one is stating that he's the next Ed Belfour either. He's simply gone out there and, good or bad, put UND in the position to win in every game he's played in. He didn't steal the show, but he did look solid. Especially for a 17 year old.

Phil may still be "the man," that much may be true, but I think it may just be time to give Grieco a break.

Grieco appears to have all the tools to be a starter in the WCHA. My primary knock on his play so far is rebounds - placement is often in prime scoring areas. My gut says its a sign of being 17 years old for another month, and that as the game slows down for him, he'll start putting rebounds into the corners, kicking them past attackers, or sending them toward his D.

In my mind, a healthy Lamoureaux is still the #1 guy. But I like the idea of Grieco continuing to play against middle of the pack teams, especially at home (CC when they come to town Thanksgiving, Tech in December).

Grieco appears to have all the tools to be a starter in the WCHA. My primary knock on his play so far is rebounds - placement is often in prime scoring areas. My gut says its a sign of being 17 years old for another month, and that as the game slows down for him, he'll start putting rebounds into the corners, kicking them past attackers, or sending them toward his D.

In my mind, a healthy Lamoureaux is still the #1 guy. But I like the idea of Grieco continuing to play against middle of the pack teams, especially at home (CC when they come to town Thanksgiving, Tech in December).

I honestly am not all that confortable with Phil in net, he is always out of position in crucial times. I can't explain it, maybe because he not Jordan. Grieco with his size covers more of the net. I am concerned with his rebounds also. I feel that if Grieco keeps winning while phil is out, Phil is probably going to have to earn his playing time. I have no problem with one playing each night until the end of seaosn and going with the better of the two goalies. Even Minnesota is doing it this season so far. Its making both of their Sieves a little better.

The one thing that I have noticed is that Grieco seems to freeze the puck more than Phil. Now I know you don't want to always have faceoffs in the zone but it sometimes helps to get a whistle and a line change (especially on the PK). With Phil, it seems like the game tempo is faster since he plays the puck most of the time. I don't know if the glove rection time is the reason for this but it has struck me as a difference between the two.

• 2 weeks later...

Your not the guy by chance that thought Walski is better than Grieco over on Brad's blog are you? :silly:

I am not sure what Grieco would have to do in a game to make some happy, :huh: I have seen some of these rediculous comments unpredictable... Grecio has won three games and gotten a tie, that 7 out of 8 possible points. Its not like his name is Shane Connelly from Wisconsin who has a .758 saver percentage, now that guy is unpredictable and not very good. Grecio has played good in the games I saw him. Also he had a 94% save percentage over the two games.

The guy let three goals all weekend. SCSU isn't exactly a hack team either. I suppose Grieco would have had to pitch two shut outs for some to say that he had an ok weekend. In case some of you guys haven't been watching Phil hasn't played all that well his last two times out. It would appear that Phil might have to earn his playing time.

I'm not usaully one to bring up dead points but I just couldn't resist. The Walski over Greico band wagon is starting to form.

I'm not usaully one to bring up dead points but I just couldn't resist. The Walski over Greico band wagon is starting to form.

Not really.

Just the usual UND Player + North Dakota born and raised = Automatic Star fan base.

Walski will (and should) get the start tonight. But if you think this is going to be a regular occurance, all the more power to you. Walski needs all the fans he can get.

Grieco may very well be the future of this team. And, at 17 years old, he's now 3-1-1 in his Sioux "career." Of course, being that he's Canadian and the only non-ND product in nets for the Sioux, that 1 loss equals about 4 losses, I'm sure. :huh:

I guess I'm in the group that thinkgs "I don't give a damn where he's from as long as he does the job we need him to do" fan base. Grieco had his first bad game as a Sioux (I don't care what you think of the Mankato series. They were wins and that's all that matters). I love the fact that those who detract from Grieco laid in wait for him to lose his first game. I hate to break it to you, Walski, Lamoureux, and so on ALL have or will eventually lose a game or two. I am not sure when's the last time a goaltender has suited up for ANY team over a 3 or 4 year span and had gone undefeated (of course, this assumes that the goaltender has actually played long enough in games to qualify for a decision). Grieco lost this game. He'll probably lose a few more games. In fact, I'm sure of it. However, to think that this is the break Walski needed is rather assinine. It does however, give Phil a little breathing room and it shows that Grieco is a 17 year old freshman goaltender.

Not really.

Just the usual UND Player + North Dakota born and raised = Automatic Star fan base.

Walski will (and should) get the start tonight. But if you think this is going to be a regular occurance, all the more power to you. Walski needs all the fans he can get.

Grieco may very well be the future of this team. And, at 17 years old, he's now 3-1-1 in his Sioux "career." Of course, being that he's Canadian and the only non-ND product in nets for the Sioux, that 1 loss equals about 4 losses, I'm sure. :huh:

I guess I'm in the group that thinkgs "I don't give a damn where he's from as long as he does the job we need him to do" fan base. Grieco had his first bad game as a Sioux (I don't care what you think of the Mankato series. They were wins and that's all that matters). I love the fact that those who detract from Grieco laid in wait for him to lose his first game. I hate to break it to you, Walski, Lamoureux, and so on ALL have or will eventually lose a game or two. I am not sure when's the last time a goaltender has suited up for ANY team over a 3 or 4 year span and had gone undefeated (of course, this assumes that the goaltender has actually played long enough in games to qualify for a decision). Grieco lost this game. He'll probably lose a few more games. In fact, I'm sure of it. However, to think that this is the break Walski needed is rather assinine. It does however, give Phil a little breathing room and it shows that Grieco is a 17 year old freshman goaltender.

I see what your saying its just I said two weeks ago that he was inconsistent. Then the people that are sending in his hobey vote come back and try to get him early entry into the Hall of fame. Pretty much what I've been saying is as a sioux fan I think UND has a better chance to be successful with Walski in there. Greico has played five games.he let's in 5 and 4 to MSU mankato 1 and 2 to SCSU and now 4 in one period agianst Anchorage. What I'm saying is this is far from a murders row of teams. Walski hasn't been tested either and could be just as big of a bust but as of right now they need to go to someone new because greico is only seventeen and doesn't appear to have it this year. Letting in 13 goals in 7 periods agianst agrueably the two worst teams in the wcha is not what is going to get the sioux back to the NCAA final four. I guess I'm in the group that says I don't care what your age is if you get torched in three out of five games agianst below average competition the team needs to shut you down for the year. I didn't wait till he lost either I've voiced this concern for two weeks or so.

I see what your saying its just I said two weeks ago that he was inconsistent. Then the people that are sending in his hobey vote come back and try to get him early entry into the Hall of fame. Pretty much what I've been saying is as a sioux fan I think UND has a better chance to be successful with Walski in there. Greico has played five games.he let's in 5 and 4 to MSU mankato 1 and 2 to SCSU and now 4 in one period agianst Anchorage. What I'm saying is this is far from a murders row of teams. Walski hasn't been tested either and could be just as big of a bust but as of right now they need to go to someone new because greico is only seventeen and doesn't appear to have it this year. Letting in 13 goals in 7 periods agianst agrueably the two worst teams in the wcha is not what is going to get the sioux back to the NCAA final four. I guess I'm in the group that says I don't care what your age is if you get torched in three out of five games agianst below average competition the team needs to shut you down for the year. I didn't wait till he lost either I've voiced this concern for two weeks or so.

Sure, I can understand your perspective but there is some things I disagree with.

First off, how is giving up 1 goal to SCSU getting torched? Since when is winning 3 out of the first 4 games, unbeaten in your first four games, and a .600 winning percentage (5 games factored in, didn't factor in the tie) a bad thing? I don't care how many goals you let in. If you still win the game, winning is what will get you to the Frozen Four. And it takes more than just goaltending to win a game.

Secondly, UAA has played well this season despite their record. SCSU is not the SCSU we remember. They are much better and much better coached. UAA has a decent coach now and if you don't think that matters, then don't tell Motzko or Jackson (Notre Dame). MSU Mankato can be a downright good team that has NEVER treated us well in Mankato. A nice way to get greeted in your first real DI game, no?

Thirdly, I understand what you say about Grieco last night, but to be strictly to the facts, it was 4 goals in 1.5 periods (2 in the first and 2 in the second). Regardless, Grieco DID INDEED have a bad game.

Lastly, I agree that Walski could be just as big of a bust, but I don't see such skepticism towards him that Grieco got even after his good weekend at home. Does Walski deserve a shot tonight? Sure. Does it proceed past tonight? Well, it would have to be a dynamite performance tonight plus incredible practices to get the #2 job away from Grieco even with the loss.

I don't care who you are, where you are from, or what team you play for. A 17 year old goaltender with a young team (UND dressed only ONE senior last night and 12 sophomores) that starts out 3-1-1 deserves respect. PERIOD.

Count me among those who would like to Walski at #2 and Greico #3. Greico is only 17 years old. He needs to sit, watch and learn, and wait his turn. Walski is 22, has paid his dues, and gives us a better chance to win now. Greico is the future, but the future is not now in my opinion. In the two periods that Walski played last night, he showed nothing to indicate that he is the worst goalie on the roster. Why not continue to play him until he proves that he shouldn't be playing? Regardless, I just hope we get Lamoreaux back soon.

You've seen 2 periods of Walski play and now he should be the #2 guy? Have you been to all of the practices to see how the goaltenders perform there as well?

We only see a glimpse of these players for a couple hours every weekend, I think I'll trust the coaches to who they think the starting and backup goalies should be.

Count me among those who would like to Walski at #2 and Greico #3. Greico is only 17 years old. He needs to sit, watch and learn, and wait his turn. Walski is 22, has paid his dues, and gives us a better chance to win now. Greico is the future, but the future is not now in my opinion. In the two periods that Walski played last night, he showed nothing to indicate that he is the worst goalie on the roster. Why not continue to play him until he proves that he shouldn't be playing? Regardless, I just hope we get Lamoreaux back soon.

I am not picking on Dave K, per se, its this message I see time and time again. The most love goalie of all of sports is the back up goalie. I think its funny that everyone is calling for Walski to play based on his play for a period and a half and now some want to throw Grieco under the bus, the kid is 17 years old and show a lot of promis. In my opinion, I think Lammy played worse than Grieco in my opinion before he got hurt. In fact Lammy has proven he is unreliable and no better than Grieco. I didn't watch Friday's game but on from reading the paper and the message board it appears that Grieco has been a victim of shoddy defense this past weekend. Our offense only scored four goals. Losing both games proves we aren't a very good team this season and will not go very far if some people stand up and take a leadership role, one good thing if Oshie and Towes keep playing like they are right now they won't be going anywhere.

Funny this is that if this Walski was from Minnesota no one would be calling for him to play, but since he is a ND boy we keep hearing for him to be the man, a lot of it based on one game at a high school hockey tourney where he stopped 72 shots, big deal. I don't understand the logic since he is from North Dakota everyone is saying he needs to play, he has paid his dues. There is a reason he is the third goalie practice goalie and I trust Hak is making the right decision. I think we need to go out and recruit a goalie this for next season. Beause it is obvious we have problems in net.

I am not picking on Dave K, per se, its this message I see time and time again. The most love goalie of all of sports is the back up goalie. I think its funny that everyone is calling for Walski to play based on his play for a period and a half and now some want to throw Grieco under the bus, the kid is 17 years old and show a lot of promis. In my opinion, I think Lammy played worse than Grieco in my opinion before he got hurt. In fact Lammy has proven he is unreliable and no better than Grieco. I didn't watch Friday's game but on from reading the paper and the message board it appears that Grieco has been a victim of shoddy defense this past weekend. Our offense only scored four goals. Losing both games proves we aren't a very good team this season and will not go very far if some people stand up and take a leadership role, one good thing if Oshie and Towes keep playing like they are right now they won't be going anywhere.

Funny this is that if this Walski was from Minnesota no one would be calling for him to play, but since he is a ND boy we keep hearing for him to be the man, a lot of it based on one game at a high school hockey tourney where he stopped 72 shots, big deal. I don't understand the logic since he is from North Dakota everyone is saying he needs to play, he has paid his dues. There is a reason he is the third goalie practice goalie and I trust Hak is making the right decision. I think we need to go out and recruit a goalie this for next season. Beause it is obvious we have problems in net.

I think people are throwing him under the bus because they are sick of seeing him getting lit up by bad teams. I mean whats it going to take to for hak to sit this cat down? what does he have to let in 8 goals in less then 5 periods against anchorage? Or let in 9 in two games against mankato? He played well agianst ST.Cloud only letting in 3 goals in two games I give him that. These teams the sioux have been playing are brutal mankato hadn't scored that many since they were playing d3 and anchorage hasn't scored this many ever. I mean whats it going to take a few more beat downs to brutal teams. I mean whats next letting in 7 to ferris state? Enough is enough, give anybody else a chance it is time.

It's not that people think walksi is the savior it's that they think greico has proven now for the fourth time in 6 games that he is a liability what I think what people are saying is it couldn't be much worse then grecio. By the way I'm trying to figure where lamaroux was ever playing as poorly as grecio?

By the way I'm trying to figure where lamaroux was ever playing as poorly as grecio?

Phil was lit up against Maine, he looked worse than Grieco. Seriously, Phil looked horrible the whole weekend against Maine being grossly out of position numerous times, then to top it off at least 3 goals were him not and not playing angles at all. A taller goalie like Grieco is has been able to get back to the post to play the puck. I think we rushed Grieco in this season, but I think its time to start looking at recruiting a new goalie for next season or we are going to have the same problems next season.

how's this for a theory...Phil COULD have made the UAA trip but the coaches decided to leave him behind and bank on Greico being able to win at least 1 and probably 2 against an average Anchorage team. The thinking being Phil would be well rested, totally rehabbed, and ready to go against CC with no aftereffects of a long road trip and holiday week? I saw Phil in practice last week and he was bouncing up and down pretty good...not sure what else could be holding him back.

I watched some pretty broken-up video feed from Ak, but I haven't seen other teams get by with crashing the goal like UAA did for quite a while. Grieco may have let in some weak ones this weekend, but I think our D needs to show a lot more ownership of the ice around the net (and get a little mean about it). A young guy like Grieco needs that. All goalies need that.

Grieco may have let in some weak ones this weekend, but I think our D needs to show a lot more ownership of the ice around the net (and get a little mean about it). A young guy like Grieco needs that. All goalies need that.

Running over goalies should result in a cross check to the back of the head and at least a response, from what I heard that goal should not have count, but oh well, we still lose anyways.

Our defense is not half as physical as it has been in the past, its almost like they are a bunch of pretty boys or switched with the Goofer defense, they don't want to get a crease in their jeresys. Teams used to fear standing in front of the net with Greene and Smaby now they can take up shop there. We have Finley that is 6'7" and doesn't throw the body around, in fact it came down to Lapointe and Finely playing next season I would say that Finley sits, he is not very impressive at all. I hope Washington signs him in the spring, he is not playing well.

Coach Hakstol has some serious issues to be address, challenges need to be made, leadership needs to take over. Losing to UAA once is ok, losing twice is unacceptable. We are going to be hard pressed to beat C.C. and MTU (which aren't world beaters) in the upcoming weeks.

I think that finley is overly careful because he is so big everything he does looks like a horrible penalty. Plus I think he started the season out 3 for 3 by injuring someone each series. (skille for sure) he just needs to learn where and when to get physical.

I can see where Hak has to be a little careful. He is trying to get his guys not to take bad penalties (especially with less experience in net). But when other teams start smelling blood in the water in the form of garbage goals and start throwing the puck on net and crashing (I would too), some bodies need to start flying. The crease rules have changed this year too, I think, which makes it even more important for us to own the crease and the area around it.

Phil was lit up against Maine, he looked worse than Grieco. Seriously, Phil looked horrible the whole weekend against Maine being grossly out of position numerous times, then to top it off at least 3 goals were him not and not playing angles at all. A taller goalie like Grieco is has been able to get back to the post to play the puck. I think we rushed Grieco in this season, but I think its time to start looking at recruiting a new goalie for next season or we are going to have the same problems next season.

O Maine as in the Number 1 team in the country? you mean he looked bad against them. Who if you were a gambling man would you say should score more goals on UND, A. Maine the best team in the country B. A !@#!$ team in Mankato C. A shittier team in Alaska Anchorage.

Tough question? shouldn't be. Spin it all you want but to say greico is even comparable to lamoreaux is a flat out joke.

You've seen 2 periods of Walski play and now he should be the #2 guy? Have you been to all of the practices to see how the goaltenders perform there as well?

We only see a glimpse of these players for a couple hours every weekend, I think I'll trust the coaches to who they think the starting and backup goalies should be.

I also trust the coaching staff to put someone in net that isn't going to let in 17 goals in less then 11 periods against mankato and alaska anchorage, but I guess sometimes we shouldn't be so trusting.

O Maine as in the Number 1 team in the country? you mean he looked bad against them. Who if you were a gambling man would you say should score more goals on UND, A. Maine the best team in the country B. A !@#!$ team in Mankato C. A shittier team in Alaska Anchorage.

Tough question? shouldn't be. Spin it all you want but to say greico is even comparable to lamoreaux is a flat out joke.

First off you probably want to watch your cussing on the board, this is a family board. :lol: Second, Grieco is comparable to Lamoreaux, look at the stats, they don't lie. fact is he is a Junior Goalie and not reliable. Grieco is a just as good as Lammy and he has made more saves and has played less miuntes, which probably mean in my opinion that the defense has been horrible and that they probably have been killing a lot of penatlies. Tony won against MSU-M a win is a win.