SiouxSports.com Forum

Swept again

OETKB

Anyone get a kick out of the Goofer fascination with the Sioux demise?  Parise, the once highly touted 1-year-and-gone candidate, is apparently now a bust.  Well, then, perhaps we won't worry as much when he goes pro, huh?  Silly people.

Out of curiousity Taz, who is saying Parise is a bust? I haven't seen anybody use that term with him as far as Gopher fans go. I don't think you can necessarily argue that he has slumped some recently but I don't think anybody is ripping him and saying he is a bust. That would be stupid.

As far as Gopher "fascination", it only makes sense we would be interested in our closest pursuers in the league. I don't know why that would seem so odd to you.

You'll find most are Kato fans in the Kato thread; no big deal, they're just enojoying their recent success. Have to believe it will be short lived, but who knows. We'll see after their weekend at CC.

Course Handy likes to rag on Parise, but no doubt it's just for reaction from Sioux fans on USCHO.

I was at Saturday's game and I thought the fans there are alright. The fans actually reminded me of the old Englestad fans. The difference being we have an excellant hockey tradition and them enjoying it for the first time since being D-1. I actually got into a verbal altercation with a fan and at the end of the game we ended up walking out of the game practically best friends. Thats a bit overblown but at least they understand that it is just a game and nothing to fight over. Except I didn't care for the guys wearing the Dumb and Dumber suits. It fit them well.

As for the game I was conviced we were going to tie it up in the third period. We flat out dominated them but they just took better advantage of the opportunities they got. The goal tending I thought was very good on both sides theirs a bit better because some of the saves he made.

As for the season I'm not going to watch the standing over the next two weeks because this team deserves exactly whatever position they end up in the WCHA standings.

You'll find most are Kato fans in the Kato thread; no big deal, they're just enojoying their recent success. Have to believe it will be short lived, but who knows. We'll see after their weekend at CC.

Course Handy likes to rag on Parise, but no doubt it's just for reaction from Sioux fans on USCHO.

True, I think Handy's posting flurry has me seeing double, triple. Mostly Kato fans + Handy, I was confused. I stand 100% corrected and offer any and all apologies to the Goofer collective. :0 Hammy, nice try arguing that the attention to the Sioux struggle as of late is merely a standings concern.

Poobah, not sure if you were saying this regarding my posts, but I don't recall blasting Ranfranz at all. I thought he played well and had a couple of unfortunate, unlikely goals scored on him. These are #1 and #4 in your discussion. Your level of detail is excellent, by the way. I also don't disagree with your assessment. Not sure where you think we differ. Perhaps my previous post comes across as more negative than I had intended. My impression was that Mankato had the better overall play (physical, passing, attack to the net) through the first two periods, but certainly not the third. They played relatively mistake-free hockey and allowed Jensen to do his job in net. I also believe they got the better of the "bounces". Not just in the two goals, but it seemed at times that the puck just landed on their sticks in the offensive zone.

Whatever, it changes nothing. The mighty Sioux have much work ahead of them, and hopefully this past weekend didn't weaken their resolve. They are a great bunch of althletes with incredible skill. I see 6 more points in their future, and a fourth place finish. This is not inconsistent with the pre-season projections. The big surprises are Mankato (competing for cup) and Denver (not). However, the post season may change things yet again...

taz

Hammy, nice try arguing that the attention to the Sioux struggle as of late is merely a standings concern.

OK Taz, you tell us Gopher fans why we do it. I mean, you must know how Gopher fans think since you are one, right? ;)

You can believe what you want to but I don't see any reason not to talk about the Sioux (and other teams in the WCHA) especially at this time of the year with playoff positioning and pairwise rankings at stake.

If the Gophers struggle with Denver and the Sioux gain ground next weekend, are you telling me that is of no interest to you? Well, it goes both ways. We each have an interest in how the other does right now. You would seem intelligent enough to understand that. :0

Poobah, not sure if you were saying this regarding my posts, but I don't recall blasting Ranfranz at all. I thought he played well and had a couple of unfortunate, unlikely goals scored on him. These are #1 and #4 in your discussion. Your level of detail is excellent, by the way. I also don't disagree with your assessment. Not sure where you think we differ. Perhaps my previous post comes across as more negative than I had intended. My impression was that Mankato had the better overall play (physical, passing, attack to the net) through the first two periods, but certainly not the third. They played relatively mistake-free hockey and allowed Jensen to do his job in net. I also believe they got the better of the "bounces". Not just in the two goals, but it seemed at times that the puck just landed on their sticks in the offensive zone.

Whatever, it changes nothing. The mighty Sioux have much work ahead of them, and hopefully this past weekend didn't weaken their resolve. They are a great bunch of althletes with incredible skill. I see 6 more points in their future, and a fourth place finish. This is not inconsistent with the pre-season projections. The big surprises are Mankato (competing for cup) and Denver (not). However, the post season may change things yet again...

taz

Taz, your points are well taken. It was someone else who used the phrase goaltending nightmare, and I think we agree that goal #1 was stoppable, and #4 was just plain soft.

If we differ, its in defining better ... I would not have said Mantanko played better, but they got results and we didn't. They made very few mistakes, and I agree totally with that... we had a few odd man rushes but they had a lot more, especially in the second. You've obviously seen a lot of hockey, and I think you raise good points.

As to the detail, thanks. It helped to have the big scoreboard at the Wireless replay the goals. har. But really, I watched a tape (mavs home games are on local cable); skimmed thru the boring stuff and got to the goals.

Two weeks ...

In a game like Saturday's, I like to think that while UND perhaps didn't outplay MSUM and flat-out deserve to win, had they won the result wouldn't have been unjust. That was the way I felt, besides horribly miserable, after the 2001 title game: BC played a fine game and were deserving champions. UND also played a fine game and would have been deserving champions had they won.

Can the Sioux mature this next couple weekends and have someone step up and make the one play or two plays we need to win. Each of the last 3 one goal losses could have been wins. What it takes is for someone to just believe and shoot the puck in the net. I think we have the talent it is time to loosen the collars and let the puck fly at the net. We need two or three ugly goals a game the next two weekends to get on track.

Good luck guys.

I still believe we can do the whole deal this year. Let's Go Sioux!!! :0;):0

I was at the Mankato series, and while I do agree, this losing streak is not fun....Friday's game, the Sioux couldn't stay out of the penalty box....3 penalties by one individual, and a 5 minute major by another...how can you win when you're constantly killing off penalties!!

I still think we were better than Mankato! Saturday, the guys played about as hard as I've seen them play, but missed a few opportunities, hit a few posts, Jensen made some "lucky" saves, and we wind up losing. Ranfranz would probably want a few of the goals he gave up back as well! As Blais said, we just are not having any "puck luck" right now! I personally see how hard this team is taking the losing streak, and by no means have they given up! The hard work shown gives me hope still as the season is coming to an end! Hopefully that work ethic will carry over to the Duluth series, Wisconsin series, and into the Final 5 and beyond! Get a few bounces to go our way, and this team is STILL DEADLY!

as far as farce poobahs comments on the game...I agree with most of what he said....other than the players who were "invisible"....I agree Mason was not agressive, and resorted to his sit back and let someone else do it approach. As far as Lundbohm, I don't know if I noticed a player who played as hard as he did! How many people did he set up, and didn't get results? Connelly had probly one of his best efforts, flying in and forechecking...Prpich had another strong effort!...the Mavericks have good forwards, but I would say their defensive corps is suspect! If we meet them again in playoffs, I would bet on the Sioux if we continue to pepper their zone and defensemen like we did the 3rd period of Saturday's game!

This weekend, let's get behind the team! The early home stand has come back to hurt us as being on the road, while struggling, doesn't help things! Make Engelstad Rock!

and.....LET'S GO SIOUX!!!

Poobah and jk:

It is encouraging to hear someone have a more positive take on the game. I'd be lying if I said the loss didn't bug the living cr@p out of me-- perhaps distorting my memory. Went to the Wild game on Sunday night and still spent most of the time thinking about what could have been for the mighty Sioux that third period. Fortunately, a short-lived moment of pathetic weakness I shall not repeat. A 24hr bug that will no doubt be squashed next weekend with a dominating performance by the Kelly Green.

Hammy:

An excellent question. Fortunately for you, I have had the opportunity to study the collective singular wit known as the Goofer for some time now. As you know, the Goofer mindset is driven by a unyielding jealousy of the University of North Dakota and it's incredibly rich hockey tradition. The basis of the Collective thought was formed long ago by the Wooger and his beloved Pride On Ice recruiting policy. The POI religion was infectious, as it played upon the xenophobic nature of the urban resident Scandinavians and their dislike of the Outstate lesser class. POI followers grew vast in numbers as the "members only" policy provided not only a moralistic high ground from which to judge other hockey programs, but also a convenient crutch to use as NCAA titles became elusive for so many years. Group affirmation, consolation, and condemnation became the yearly rituals used by the Collective to stengthen their beliefs in the Wooger and his journey along the road-less-traveled.

The culmination of all that is POI is manifested in the Shrine of Whine: a spectacular venue of agony and complaint. A place of worship for those who find victory a series of injustices that through divine intervention lead to a righteous outcome, and defeat as simply a series of injustices. Nowhere else can one observe an equally sized group of individuals with seemingly diverse socioeconomic backgrounds operating in such a synchronous state of sanctimony.

The Goofer Collective mindset of self-importance and haughty arrogance is merely a shield to cloak the underlying jealousy and disdain for the highly successful Fighting Sioux hockey program. A storied tradition of excellence that has few, if any, equals. This undeniable fact is what pains the city folk most. How such a small town in such a rural state can attract and sustain so many highly capable athletes and scholars. Indeed, this is truly the work of evil.

I had thought that the replacement of the Wooger with Lucia, weakening of POI policies, and the eventual National Championship year would have quelled such nonsense. But, in fact, it has become even stronger. The Goofer Collective no doubt wrestled with the conflicting feelings of joy and guilt that last April evening as they realized the era of excuses and moralism were to be left behind. How, then, shall the new Champions address their lesser rivals? Have they now dipped into the sinful bath of open recruiting and delighted in it's wonders? Truly, joyous chants of "USA!" can no longer be celebrated in the Shrine. An era has ended, but the Collective lives on with the media leadership of Wooger, Nanne, Sonmor, et al. Add to that the defection of Minnesota's finest to the Vegas funded cow-town to the northwest, and you see the agony is alive and well. As a result, the focus of POI's group therapy discussions on the internet can be found daily in that little school with the many glorious NCAA banners.

taz

Wow Taz... and you think we are preoccupied with a rival!? That is quite an in-depth analysis (though misguided in many respects). ;)

Lots of respect for the Sioux program from many Gopher fans. Doesn't mean we don't want to kill the Sioux whenever we play them but there is certainly respect there. But I think we feel very good about what we have going down at the U. No need to be jealous of anybody else. :0

I don't think UND is playing as badly, or is as bad a team as many posters now seem to believe. UND is on a losing streak, but is missing their best defenseman, has lost many one goal games, had many bad breaks, and almost all of the losses are against top 15 teams (CC, Denver, Minnesota, Mankato). Earlier in the year UND was fortunate in many games--how many pinball goals were scored by Bochenski and Hale around Christmas time and early January? Early in the season it was easy to overestimate the strength of the team, and now its becoming easy to underestimate them if you only look at the record the past few games. MSU-Mankato is a good team. UND is also a very good team. When your team wins, you forget all the mistakes they made during that game. When they lose, every mistake is remembered as a glaring one.