SiouxSports.com Forum

While Rome burns, the NCAA fiddles

PCM

In respone to "Where's the dirversity?" I submitted the following tongue-in-cheek comment to the NCAA Double-A Zone blog here:

Rather than engage in hand-wringing about the lack of minority head football coaches at top-level schools, why doesn't the NCAA Executive Committee implement a policy that prohibits member institutions from hosting NCAA championship events if they haven't done enough to recruit minority coaches? Thanks to the Black Coaches Association, we know which schools are dragging their heels. The NCAA has studied this issue long enough. It's time for the association to become the catalyst for social change it claims to be.
If rule by executive fiat is a good solution for UND, I see no reason why it can't be applied to every social justice issue confronting college athletics. :silly:

In respone to "Where's the dirversity?" I submitted the following tongue-in-cheek comment to the NCAA Double-A Zone blog here:

If rule by executive fiat is a good solution for UND, I see no reason why it can't be applied to every social justice issue confronting college athletics. :ohmy:

PCM, I have no doubt the Executive Committee Subcommittee on Gender and Diversity Issues is seriously considering such a policy, and will convince the Executive Committee to enact something along those lines in the future. The NCAA has big plans to use its Executive Committee as a catalyst for social change. After all, the wheels move too slow if you have to convince a large body to act on every perceived injustice. That is why I believe the NCAA wants to establish precedence to act on social policies without a membership vote. And it's also why the Executive Committee did not seek a membership vote on the nickname policy, not (necessarily) because they didn't have the votes.

I have no doubt the Executive Committee Subcommittee on Gender and Diversity Issues is seriously considering such a policy, and will convince the Executive Committee to enact something along those lines in the future. The NCAA has big plans to use its Executive Committee as a catalyst for social change. .... That is why I believe the NCAA wants to establish precedence to act on social policies without a membership vote. And it's also why the Executive Committee did not seek a membership vote on the nickname policy, not (necessarily) because they didn't have the votes.

I don't believe "coaches of color" will be the next area.

Given the look at using men in womens practices and the NCAA statements about "violating the spirit of Title IX", I believe that will be the next area that the Executive Committee will try to exercise its form of "social justice" in.

Remember: Title IX is Federal law, not NCAA rule, but the NCAA will go after trying to enforce it "their way" it just the same.

• 2 weeks later...

The NCAA will not expand the ban on holding post-season events in SC and Mississippi, but they won't renounce current policies either.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070123/ap_on_...onfederate_flag

I like the quote about how it would be unfair to expand the bans considering the schools have no control over the issue. Don't they see that using that logic, the original ban is equally unfair?? ???