SiouxSports.com Forum

Colby

Prof Plum

Since nobody else has answered, I'll share my very limited observations. I watched the Sioux practice and scrimmage a number of times in the preseason, but not since. Genoway skates well and he has some nice skills. He looked like he belonged on the ice with the rest of the team (there were a small number of other players who clearly were in over their head). He looked a bit tentative, understandably. I don't know how he has progressed the past few months.

I did notice Colby in the stands during the UAA series. He was nattily dressed, looked happy, and appeared to have gained a little weight (??). I was tempted to go talk to him, but I decided not to bother him.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd roll this one back to the top now that we're officially looking forward to next year.  

How are we supposed to put hippity-hoppety lines together for next year if we don't know if Genoway can play?  Someone must have an idea now whether we should expect an inconsistent third or fourth-liner or someone who will be competing for time on the top lines.  Anyone?

Thought I'd roll this one back to the top now that we're officially looking forward to next year.  

How are we supposed to put hippity-hoppety lines together for next year if we don't know if Genoway can play?  Someone must have an idea now whether we should expect an inconsistent third or fourth-liner or someone who will be competing for time on the top lines.  Anyone?

I think that is going to be the $64,000.00 for next season. Blais seems to talk good about him but didn't get into the particulars...

HKNTSMN - That's hilarious.  I bet his mom thinks he's going to be good, too.  Let's hope he's right.  

It must just kill these guys to have to sit out a year, after playing every day of every winter for as long as they can remember.  The great part about it, though, is they have the year to adjust to college life and classwork.  So when they finally do start playing, they are only adjusting to college hockey, not college life.  And since they have been practicing for a year, even the adjustment to the speed of the game should be easier.

Who would the four sophmore centers be.

I think

Spiewak, sr

Lundbohm, jr

Fournier, soph,  may need to be wing

Rory McMahon for sure he was great at the end.

What other Soph center besides Colby.  I am not clear on who you are thinking of...

I am far from an expert so someone is welcome to chime in with real facts, but it seems to me that Colby put up the numbers in bantams.

At SSM, I know that Parise plays with the Midget AAA team.  SSM also has teams that play Midget AA, Midget A, Bantam AA, and Bantam B.  So I'm guessing Genoway didn't put those numbers up at a similar level of hockey.  Not that I will object in any way to his being a fine player.

HKNTSMN, I have a serious question and you may be able to answer it.

What qualities do you look for in a center.  What makes a guy a better center than a wing.

My impressions are you look for a guy who is quick, who can handle the puck and who can create room for himself or others and pass them the puck.

I thought this team is light on that sort of gifted center.

David Lundbohm and Rory McMahon strike me more as wingers than centers.  That's just my impression.

However, if Lundbohm and McMahon really are suited for being centers, and Genoway has been listed as one then we are overloaded with centers.

Candidates being the ones you and Kiork both mentioned

Spiewak

Parise

Lundbohm

McMahon

Fournier

Genoway

Spiewak has always seemed to play center.  I would be surprised to see him on a wing.  I believe Parise is a center through and through so he probably stays there.  Fournier doesn't strike me as strong enough to play on the wing (what do I know).

If this is a list of true center candidates, who are the best candidates to play on the wing and why?

My guess would be Lundbohm and McMahon.  I don't know anything about Genoway so it is hard for me to say either way.  But if he truly was as good as his point total might indicate maybe, like Parise, you leave him at center.

Thoughts??

While we can definitely use some help at forward, I think guys like Ryan Hale, Bochenski and Massen really need to work on their speed and footwork in the offseason.  Plus it would be nice if some of the defensemen would learn how to move their feet once in awhile too.  It would make the goalie issue less of a problem if they don't have to face a 2-3 man breakaway.

Thanks, HKNTSMN.

Would you say Fournier is better suited to wing than center, then.  He doesn't seem to be as strong a skater.

However, he strikes me better as a center because he seems to handle the puck well, but doesn't seem as physically capable in the corners, etc.