SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA vs. HOCKEY EAST

AZSIOUX

i would love to see a yearly battle between the wcha and hockey east. i think it would be great for college hockey and would be tons of fun for the fans as well. maybe something like a challenge where 1 year all wcha schools go to a hockey east arena and visa versa the following years. or do 5 at wcha arenas and 5 in hockey east arenas then have a trophy or something that goes to the confernce with the most wins. of course the matchups would be based on the teams and how good they are at the time so it would be a fair challenge. it may be even a thing espn2 or at least espnu and cstv can work out to get most of the games broadcasted. whats does everyone else think. personally i respect hockey east hockey but im not a big hockey east fan at all except for MAINE :silly:

scheduling this season between the 2 conferences

SIOUX VS. MAINE, POSSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUP WITH BOSTON UNIVERSITY

WISCONSIN VS B.C., POSSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUP WITH PROVIDENCE

MINNESOTA, HOF GAME VS MAINE, POSSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUP WITH UMASS

COLORADO COLLEGE VS NEW HAMPSHIRE, 1 GAME VS MERRIMACK

DENVER, POSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUPS WITH VERMONT AND MASS LOWELL

ST CLOUD, POSSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUP VS VERMONT

MICHIGAN TECH, POSSIBLE TOURNEY MATCHUP WITH VERMONT

DULUTH VS. MASS LOWELL

ALASKA VS MERRIMACK, 1 GAME

MINNESOTA STATE, NONE

NCAA Tournament Champions

http://www.uscho.com/ncaad1/?data=thistory

Year Champion Runner Up Site

2004 Denver- Maine- Boston, Mass.

2003 Minnesota- New Hampshire- Buffalo, N.Y.

2002 Minnesota- Maine- St. Paul, Minn.

2001 Boston College- North Dakota- Albany, N.Y.

2000 North Dakota- Boston College- Providence, R.I.

1999 Maine- New Hampshire- Anaheim, Calif.

1998 Michigan Boston College Boston

1997 North Dakota- Boston University- Milwaukee

1996 Michigan Colorado College Cincinnati

1995 Boston University- Maine- Providence, R.I.

1994 Lake Superior Boston University St. Paul, Minn.

1993 Maine- Lake Superior- Milwaukee

1992 Lake Superior *Wisconsin Albany, N.Y.

1991 Northern Michigan Boston University St. Paul, Minn.

1990 Wisconsin- Colgate- Detroit

1989 Harvard Minnesota St. Paul, Minn.

1988 Lake Superior St. Lawrence Lake Placid, N.Y.

1987 North Dakota- Michigan State- Detroit

1986 Michigan State Harvard Providence, R.I.

1985 Rensselaer Providence Detroit

1984 Bowling Green Minnesota-Duluth Lake Placid, N.Y.

1983 Wisconsin- Harvard- Grand Forks, N.D.

1982 North Dakota- Wisconsin- Providence, R.I.

1981 Wisconsin- Minnesota- Duluth, Minn.

1980 North Dakota- Northern Michigan- Providence, R.I.

1979 Minnesota- North Dakota- Detroit

1978 Boston University- Boston College- Providence, R.I.

1977 Wisconsin- Michigan- Detroit

1976 Minnesota- Michigan Tech- Denver

1975 Michigan Tech- Minnesota- St. Louis

1974 Minnesota- Michigan Tech- Boston

1973 Wisconsin- *Denver- Boston

1972 Boston University- Cornell- Boston

1971 Boston University- Minnesota- Syracuse, N.Y.

1970 Cornell Clarkson Lake Placid, N.Y.

1969 Denver- Cornell- Colorado Springs, Colo.

1968 Denver- North Dakota- Duluth, Minn.

1967 Cornell Boston University Syracuse, N.Y.

1966 Michigan State Clarkson Minneapolis

1965 Michigan Tech- Boston College- Providence, R.I.

1964 Michigan Denver Denver

1963 North Dakota- Denver- Chestnut Hill, Mass.

1962 Michigan Tech- Clarkson- Utica, N.Y.

1961 Denver- St. Lawrence- Denver

1960 Denver- Michigan Tech- Boston

1959 North Dakota- Michigan State- Troy, N.Y.

1958 Denver- North Dakota- Minneapolis

1957 Colorado College- Michigan- Colorado Springs, Colo.

1956 Michigan Michigan Tech Colorado Springs, Colo.

1955 Michigan Colorado College Colorado Springs, Colo.

1954 Rensselaer Minnesota Colorado Springs, Colo.

1953 Michigan Minnesota Colorado Springs, Colo.

1952 Michigan Colorado College Colorado Springs, Colo.

1951 Michigan Brown Colorado Springs, Colo.

1950 Colorado College.- Boston University- Colorado Springs, Colo.

1949 Boston College- Dartmouth- Colorado Springs, Colo.

1948 Michigan Dartmouth Colorado Springs, Colo.

i would love to see a yearly battle between the wcha and hockey east. i think it would be great for college hockey and would be tons of fun for the fans as well. maybe something like a challenge where 1 year all wcha schools go to a hockey east arena and visa versa the following years. or do 5 at wcha arenas and 5 in hockey east arenas then have a trophy or something that goes to the confernce with the most wins.

The WCHA and HE used to have a lot of play against each other, I believe it was during the late 1980's and early 1990's.

I get tired of hearing about "east coast bias". If you win, well, that's the ultimate revenge and nothing is sweeter. And if you lose, who gives a rats butt if you get any media love. You lost.

I'd rather be the no-name underdog and win.

I agree. East coast always seems to get tons of coverage in the media but the WCHA keeps winning NCs.

Apparently the cross-over scheduling between Hockey East (or whatever it was called at the time) and the WCHA in the 1980s is before your time.

im 25 so maybe i dont remember that much but im referring to a set challenge that would be done every single year like in ncaa basketball they do the acc vs big 10 challenge.

im 25 so maybe i dont remember that much but im referring to a set challenge that would be done every single year like in ncaa basketball they do the acc vs big 10 challenge.

Gonna take some money from TV or other sources. I don't see a school like MN giving up a home gate. It seems pretty rare for them to go on the road for non-conference. I guess they went to BSU (few years back) and I know they helped BU open their rink (in 2004/05?). And they got a road tilt every other year for their Michigan challenge, but I might have this last one wrong.

I also think Hockey East would fear this, because it would only prop the WCHA up even more for tourney time.

All that said, I love the idea.

There was an official scheduling link between the WCHA and Hockey East during the 80's and/or early 90's as was mentioned earlier. I would have to do a little research to get the exact years. IIRC it was because one of the leagues was having problems with their schedules. There was no trophy that I remember, but every WCHA team played 1 or 2 series against East teams each year.

There was an official scheduling link between the WCHA and Hockey East during the 80's and/or early 90's as was mentioned earlier. I would have to do a little research to get the exact years. IIRC it was because one of the leagues was having problems with their schedules. There was no trophy that I remember, but every WCHA team played 1 or 2 series against East teams each year.

I found the WCHA history of the link.

The WCHA became more formal in 1973, when the league office assumed all conference scheduling. A plan was passed in 1979 to split the conference into two divisions as a cost-cutting move, but was rescinded three months later. Then, in 1981, Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech. and Notre Dame all defected to the CCHA. The loss of Michigan Tech. was a double blow, as they took the MacNaughton Cup, presented to the WCHA Champion every year, along with them.

The WCHA survived as a six-team league, then expanded again in 1984 when Michigan Tech. returned (with the MacNaughton Cup), and brought Northern Michigan with them. The same year saw the start of an interlocking schedule with Hockey East, which lasted for five seasons. All inter-conference games counted in each conference's standings.

Hey AZSIOUX I must admitted you really did your homework on all of this. I take my GATOR hat off to you & speaking for myself as a FIGHTING SIOUX for over 33 years that's longer than some of these folks on this board have been alive almost. I just want to say GO SIOUX. Hey your website is AWESOME.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Hey AZSIOUX I must admitted you really did your homework on all of this. I take my GATOR hat off to you & speaking for myself as a FIGHTING SIOUX for over 33 years that's longer than some of these folks on this board have been alive almost. I just want to say GO SIOUX. Hey your website is AWESOME.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

thanks a lot, much aprpeciated!!

1984-1989, iirc

The driving force behind the interlocking schedule was hockey east commish Lou Lamoriello, to try to lend credibility to the new conference. The games counted in the official Hockey East league standings.

It was discontinued (again, iirc) because it was a major financial commitment for everyone involved and because by 1989/1990 it had basically served its purpose.

1984-1989, iirc

The driving force behind the interlocking schedule was hockey east commish Lou Lamoriello, to try to lend credibility to the new conference. The games counted in the official Hockey East league standings.

It was discontinued (again, iirc) because it was a major financial commitment for everyone involved and because by 1989/1990 it had basically served its purpose.

A couple of posts later I had found the answer. It was actually to help both conferences because the WCHA was short of members at that time.

A couple of posts later I had found the answer. It was actually to help both conferences because the WCHA was short of members at that time.

My angle is obviously from the northeast side of things . . . that does make a lot of sense. My point was basically just that the old arrangement was not so much a "clash of the titans" as a strategic decision to serve some specific needs (and it did). A rivalry-type series between the two today wouldn't be the same thing as it was back in the day, when (no offense to BC or UNH, but) some folks saw Hockey East as BU and the Seven Dwarves. :silly: