SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Camp

UND Fan

I am one who continues to preach that us UND fans should not waste our time arguing and debating with SU fans. Instead, we should talk about UND sports! Therefore....

I assume it has been announced but when does our camp open?

Do we know if any of our more important players will not be returning this fall?

Who is walking-on? Anyone of note?

Do we think our backup QB will be "the other senior" (probably Belmore) or will it be Danny Freund as he is the heir apparent for the job next year?

Let's talk football................

I'd expect Dale to use Freund as the 4th quarter mop-up QB. Got to get his feet wet, he should have an outstanding chance at taking over the offense next season as a junior.

Anybody know anything about Brandon Strouth's recovery? We need him at full strength. He is alot quicker and shiftier than Beatty, and a better receiver out of the backfield. We'll need his speed against Northern Iowa to have chance, as I expect that to be the fastest defense that the Sioux will see all year.

I hope that Ryan Chappell lines up next to Dressler on kickoff returns. Kickers don't like to kick to Dressler, but they may not think Chappell is a much better alternative.

I think the biggest question mark on offense is the wide receiver position. Losing Grossman was huge. I'd expect Loegering to start opposite Dressler. Hopefully some of the young kids can contribute especially the ones with size like Caufield, Hegg, and Wahlin. We were far too small at the WR position last year. Fast, but small.

Any body heard anything for certain about ZBJ? I heard he was gone, then that he was coming back. He would be a huge asset to a defense that graduated several key members.

I'm excited about the potential of the running game this year. Up front, the line has a lot of talent, with the addition of Murray, the return of Braegelmann, and another year of development by Troen, who was honorable mention all conference as a freshman. Hopefully Kusler can move back to tight end, which would also potentially really help the running game. Strouth should be back to close to 100% (hopefully), and Beatty and Brady should both be very solid. Throw in the constant threat of Dressler on reverses and end-arounds, and that should give defenses a lot to worry about. Manke also provides the threat of the option. While it's true that the receiving corps isn't really proven other than Dressler, I'm not worried about that as there shouldn't be any shortage of guys who can catch the ball, including younger players such as Caufield, Trenbeath, Wahlin and Rambeck.

Here's a Herald article on the quarterback competition between Manke and Belmore. I really hope Manke is the choice.

I think he is the choice of his teamates as they have elected him a captain. Belmore didn't have as good of a spring but he is certainly going to keep pushing for the starting job. You have to give him credit for handling the situation with class.

I think he is the choice of his teamates as they have elected him a captain. Belmore didn't have as good of a spring but he is certainly going to keep pushing for the starting job. You have to give him credit for handling the situation with class.

Absolutely, I have nothing but respect for a guy who sticks around and keeps working hard even after the starting job is no longer his. By the same token, I really respect that Manke didn't transfer a couple of years ago when it looked like he may never get to play here. UND should have the best quarterback situation in the conference in that there are two experienced, capable quarterbacks ready to play. Other teams may have as good or better of a number one guy, but have absolutely no experience should the starter go down.

Does anybody know whether pre-fall camp has resulted in any changes in the depth chart? Specifically, I'm wondering if Murray has moved into the starting lineup on the offensive line. I know that historically there has been a reluctance to put transfers ahead of players who have been in the program for awhile, e.g. Travis Lueck never technically having been a starter, but it seems like it would be tough to keep a guy with Murray's experience and all-conference accolades out of the lineup, especially since there's no returning starter at that position.