SiouxSports.com Forum

Gordy Hangsleben passes away at 52

aleah

Gordy Hangsleben passed away on July 16, 2006 after a year long battle with lung cancer. He is a native of East Grand Forks and a first cousin to Alan Hangsleben, who also played for the Sioux.

Gordy played for the Sioux during the mid seventies. He was a dedicated Sioux fan long after he played. He had lived in Minneapolis (Gopher country) and still proudly wore Sioux apparel to every Sioux-Gopher game he attended...no matter how much guff he got!

His last game he watched in person was last season when the Sioux beat the Gophers at home! He was able to meet some players after the game and talked of how much fun he had.

Please take a moment to remember someone who was not only a great player and fan but a phenomenal person.

Here is a photo of him at "Meet the Sioux" in 1974

scan0003.jpg

I got to know Gordy pretty well while we were both students in the 70s. He was not as athletically gifted as his cousin Alan, but Gordy was a wonderful, funny, sharing and caring young man. He knew he wasn't going to be the go-to goaltender; he knew he wasn't the top athlete on the ice. But he also made a point to be positive and best of all happy every time he strapped on the gear. The Sioux family is missing one of its bright lights today. :crazy: RIP

My condolences goes out the to entire Hangsleben family on Gordy's passing to the spiritual world.

I never had the opportunity to meet Gordy but my daughter, Aleah, is his great-niece. From the stories I've heard he was a genuine man, father and husband. My son, who plays for the Sioux, was suppose to have met up w/ Gordy after the Gopher series this past January. Unfortunately, they were unable to cross paths that weekend.

We've all lost close family members to the horrible disease of cancer. I went through a 18-month ordeal with my brother-in-law with brain cancer back in 2001. He died on August 3 then my father passed to the Creator on August 11, 2001. It was a very difficult time in my life yet I knew both men lived full lives. One too soon, the other, my father, a very rich life with his family.

Take a moment of silence for one of the Fighting Sioux' Band of Brothers ... Gordy Hangsleben, #30.

I remember Gordy as a big teddy bear with a fu manchu mustache. Great guy and very unassuming. I read his obit in the Bismarck Tribune this morning and was very stunned to learn of his death. Just a class year behind me at UND. Makes you think of your own mortality abit. Is there a goalie net in Heaven?

I would also like to add my condolences Hangsleben family for there loss. I remember watching him at UND for the record it was my first expereince of watching hockey of any type at the time this old boy from the state of Florida never even hearing hockey to boot. To me he always played his best against the gophers. Then again like I said I didn't know much about hockey at the time. What scares me the most is that this young man was my age. Then again after all we're just only here for a little while.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.