SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO studying Division I

bincitysioux

From the Omaha World Herald:

UNO Will Study All Options, Including DI, Belck Says

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck said Friday that the school will begin to study its classification status and conference affiliation as it looks to the future.

"It's going to be a summer project," Belck said. "We will be calling together all the coaches, administrative heads and staff, and there will be a series of questions for them to respond to, particularly considering the events of the last week regarding the North Central Conference."

Last week, North Dakota announced its intention to leave the NCC and NCAA Division II for Division I. South Dakota quickly responded by saying it would study its current classification.

"That changed the picture," Belck said. "A lot of things clicked in at that point."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what if the report indicates that the best fit for UNO would be to move to Division I, including I-AA in football?

"We'd certainly look at it," Belck said. "But the report would have to be very thorough and be complete with all budget implications."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see UNO going D1. In Nebraska, Nebraska Lincoln is king and UNO would be the red headed step child of the state, (which it probably already is). UNO would never get anything for football recruits except Nebraska cast offs and would be considered a lesser school in all aspects. They are better of staying DII and being a powerhouse there instead of what they would become as a DI school...

I don't see UNO going D1. In Nebraska, Nebraska Lincoln is king and UNO would be the red headed step child of the state, (which it probably already is). UNO would never get anything for football recruits except Nebraska cast offs and would be considered a lesser school in all aspects. They are better of staying DII and being a powerhouse there instead of what they would become as a DI school...

Northern Iowa doesn't seem to have a problem in Iowa where the Hawkeyes are king and Cyclones are the redheaded stepchild. Everyone in Nebraska isn't a Big Red fan, although most are. Best football player ever out of Nebraska went to Kansas.

I don't think UNO would have a problem being a DI-AA team in the state of Nebraska.

I just don't think they can afford it right now.

They have the money, just depends on who's doing the books. :lol:

I don't think UNO would have a problem being a DI-AA team in the state of Nebraska.

I just don't think they can afford it right now.

Hey if UND can do it why can't UNO? Its a fair question, mabye the two have some kind of funding ideas they are keeping private?

UND has more money than UNO, I would guess.

No, the party line for Bison/Jacks fans is that UND has NO money and is doing a great disservice to ND taxpayers in announcing the move to D-I. Get with the program. :ohmy:

Sorry I'm late replying to Bison Mav, but I can't let that slap at the Iowa State Cyclones go. If you really think they are playing some sort of inferior role to Iowa you better think again. They have beat the inferior Iowa hawks 6 of the last 8 in football, and are the CY-hawk all sports champions.

Sorry I'm late replying to Bison Mav, but I can't let that slap at the Iowa State Cyclones go. If you really think they are playing some sort of inferior role to Iowa you better think again. They have beat the inferior Iowa hawks 6 of the last 8 in football, and are the CY-hawk all sports champions.

Gotta keep you Iowegians on your toes. :ohmy:

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck: "We'd certainly look at it ... But the report would have to be very thorough and be complete with all budget implications."

That's not exactly a "ringing endorsement" of a move.

Where's all the negativism toward UNO and their chancellor for that? :ohmy:

Just cut athletic positions to balance the budget and now their ready for D-I? This is a ploy by their president to shut the boosters up.

UND cut positions in Oct...sounds almost as irrational....but...adding positions to balance it out...UNO hasnt done that yet...lol

More news about UNO:

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2006/07...e/d8imnu0g1.txt

NU Regent Hassebrook again floats idea of cutting UNO football

By ERIC OLSON

OMAHA, Neb. - A regent is again proposing the elimination of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's football program to ease budgetary problems in the Mavericks' athletic department.

Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons made the same suggestion 10 years ago, before the regents approved upgrades in athletic facilities and programs at the Omaha campus.

Hassebrook renewed his campaign to cut the football program in a letter to the editor published Thursday in the Omaha World-Herald. He said in an interview with The Associated Press that cutting football should be one of the options discussed in the wake of UNO's announcement last month that it had a $440,000 athletic budget shortfall.

"I support athletics at UNO. But I support athletics at UNO at an appropriate level we can afford that does not unduly detract from our ability to fulfill our academic mission," Hassebrook said.

Chancellor Nancy Belck said the university is not looking to cut any sports.

"It's been very important to our program," she said of football. "I've learned you never say never, but that is not what we're even talking about." . . . (read more)

More news about UNO:

http://www.fremontneb.com/articles/2006/07...e/d8imnu0g1.txt

NU Regent Hassebrook again floats idea of cutting UNO football

By ERIC OLSON

OMAHA, Neb. - A regent is again proposing the elimination of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's football program to ease budgetary problems in the Mavericks' athletic department.

Chuck Hassebrook of Lyons made the same suggestion 10 years ago, before the regents approved upgrades in athletic facilities and programs at the Omaha campus.

Hassebrook renewed his campaign to cut the football program in a letter to the editor published Thursday in the Omaha World-Herald. He said in an interview with The Associated Press that cutting football should be one of the options discussed in the wake of UNO's announcement last month that it had a $440,000 athletic budget shortfall.

"I support athletics at UNO. But I support athletics at UNO at an appropriate level we can afford that does not unduly detract from our ability to fulfill our academic mission," Hassebrook said.

Chancellor Nancy Belck said the university is not looking to cut any sports.

"It's been very important to our program," she said of football. "I've learned you never say never, but that is not what we're even talking about." . . . (read more)

Its hard to argue with him about his concern for academics. It has to be number one. Makes one wonder what the priorities at UND are?

Makes one wonder what the priorities are at NDSU also!

This doens't even take into consideration the abilitiy of GF to sustain a DI program given the growth or lack of growth for the GF area over the last 10 years or more. It was also interesting to see someone else mention that DII schools with a hockey program at the DI level is not exactly a great model financially to try to follow. If you didn't have hockey and that little thing called Title IX maybe the move would or could fit into your financial abilities but I doubt with Hockey it will be sustainalbe. That's why I pointed out the commitment to academics. NDSU isn't trying to support a Hockey program that with Title IX factored in is definetly a huge money drain.

This doens't even take into consideration the abilitiy of GF to sustain a DI program given the growth or lack of growth for the GF area over the last 10 years or more.

Most recently reported (updated) census figures, Fargo's population decreased. Shut 'er down. :ohmy:

... trying to support a Hockey program that with Title IX factored in is definetly a huge money drain.

Money drain? Hockey?

From UND's DI Report (FY05 numbers):

Mens Hockey revenues: $4,145,039

Mens Hockey expenses: $3,374,206

Womens Hockey revenues: $267,772

Womens Hockey expenses: $543,527

Do the math: UND Hockey is "net black."

Careful.

The academic fiscal year just ended for NDUS schools and that statement may have some, shall we say, "recoil." :ohmy:

That may or may not be true but last year the difference was made up by a financial supporter of the school. We didn't have a defecit when all was said and done. It was also a smaller number differnce wise then your number was after cuts were made to reduce your defecit which makes me wonder if and when you make the move that difference is certain to grow and how is UND planning on making up that even larger defecit. You made cuts this last year to alleviate that defecit but what are you going to do when the stakes/costs are even higher? How much more are you going to be able to cut and where are those cuts going to come from, academics? Fair questions which as far I have seen have not been addressed yet.

Most recently reported (updated) census figures, Fargo's population decreased. Shut 'er down. :ohmy:

Money drain? Hockey?

From UND's DI Report (FY05 numbers):

Mens Hockey revenues: $4,145,039

Mens Hockey expenses: $3,374,206

Womens Hockey revenues: $267,772

Womens Hockey expenses: $543,527

Do the math: UND Hockey is "net black."

Where's your defecit coming from then and how do you propose to cover it when the costs increase from a move to DI?