SiouxSports.com Forum

Altru Expansion

The Sicatoka

There's been a steady flow of physicians out of the Altru system. Independent practices are spinging up in GF and EGF. A new top of the line cancer center is opened now in the south end of town. I toured the center and the diagnostic and treatment equipment are the best in the tri-state area, including Minneapolis and Rochester. A large 'clinic' has been built in the south end which is slated at this time to house a couple of Family Practice docs, lots of space for two docs. :)

Altru is beefing it self up in the face of some real competition. Damn!! It's about friggin' time!!!! ;)

Overall this is good news for GF. However, Altru is starting to pull the same stunts Meritcare is known for, i.e. strong-arming competition. Independent physician networks are as dangerous to large hospitals as unions are to retail corporations. They hate the fact they must give these non-employees privileges, and pull all kinds of dirty stunts to try and deter them from using their facilities.

A Dr. in Fargo (I don't want to mention his name) is trying to get a independant physicians hospital established in Fargo. Meritcare is doing everything they can to prevent this.

Because Altru wants them to go back "on call."

Of which many don't want to do.

Not true. I only know of one doc who wanted to go off call, he'd only worked for the Altru (and previous other names) system close to 30 yrs. There are several (so far) other less senior docs in his speciality who do take call. One doc left because his wife was starting her own business offering a service that Altru had. Altru didn't want the competition. Referrals for that service would not come from her husband due to his specialty. No conflict. The doc was told by Altru administration to tell his wife she couldn't start that business or he would be in BIG trouble with Altru. Others left for a variety of reasons, one of which is lack of respect by administration. The attitude has been do as we say and if you don't like it too bad. The Altru belief has been that the only successful practices are theirs and if you leave the system you're doomed! So you better put up, put out and shut up.

I've been in and around the GF health system for 30+ years. There's more to what's going on at Altru than what they are telling the public. Not wanting to take call is NOT the reason for the steady flow out of the Altru health system. Money is also not a factor for the leaving. The docs that are branching out on their own are spending big bucks up front for modest returns. A vision of a better health system for the community, a better work enviornment, and a better life overall is worth more than big bucks to many of the 'defectors'.

Your last paragraph hit it on the head sioux-cia,

as a soon to be doc, i would certainly love the opportunity to practice eye care in grand forks, and even though it is fairly saturated, the quality of life and people are a big reason i am willing to take less of a return on my education.

i do think it is vital that the "non-hospital" on the south of town becomes a hospital, i think the health care system of grand forks could benefit greatly.