SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Contract

bincitysioux

They're saying on Bisonville.com that the reason NDSU cut off negotiations with Clear Channel was because they were told that KFYR would not be available to carry NDSU games. Why would that be? UND football has always been on KFYR, and according to that GF Herald article, will continue to be.

Are we getting bumped from KFYR in favor of Mary? :silly:link.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves, wasn't Sioux Football on KFYR and Bison Football (under agreement with WDAY) on KXMR last season?

If CCND now has UMary Football, and because the Herald story on UND's contract specifically says UND Football is on KFYR, and because negotiations between CCND and NDSU broke off (down?), does that leave NDSU Bison Football as the "odd-man out" on those stations?

Kind of funny that cc wants all the contracts but is running out of stations.

Of course there's humor in the other side of that coin as well.

From the In-Forum link above:

One point of instability may be the ability of Forum Communications to deliver games on a second radio station when men

I would doubt that sioux hockey is profitable on the radio when they have it on TV in most markets.

You may be wrong; you may be right; all we know for sure is that when the rubber met the road, keeping UND Hockey was more important to (profit-driven corporate) Clear Channel. Either way, how terrible to be losing UND radio listeners to UND TV viewers. :silly:

PS - The number of folks that turn on the TV, mute it, and then turn on the radio for Tim Hennessy (instead of Pat Sweeny) is sizable. Nothing against Pat, but I admit to doing it. I prefer Tim.

PS - The number of folks that turn on the TV, mute it, and then turn on the radio for Tim Hennessy (instead of Pat Sweeny) is sizable. Nothing against Pat, but I admit to doing it. I prefer Tim.

Copycat. You and PCM are terrible with this. I'm gonna have to start charging you two. Or suing you for plagirism.

Are we getting bumped from KFYR in favor of Mary? :silly:link.

It would appear so.

All 10 home and away NCAA Marauders football games, including the NSIC Metrodome Classic in Minneapolis, MN, Saturday, Nov. 11, 2006, at 12 p.m. CDT, will be broadcast live on KFYR AM 550.
The only game that doesn't conflict is UND vs. Winona, UMary plays a night game that night.

I don't think it matters much, as long as KXMR still broadcasts UND football games, which is why it was stupid for NDSU to break off negotiations with CC just because they couldn't get KFYR. KXMR is probably the second most powerful station in the state, trailing only KFYR.

NCAA Marauders men's and women's basketball games will be heard on KXMR AM 710 "The FAN."

I wonder if that means that Hockey will move over to KFYR? That would be a good thing for hockey fans.

I was just surfing the web and saw on South Dakota State's site that seven different Jackrabbit sports can be heard on the radio in South Dakota, and the rights to each sport are split up between two separately owned broadcasting companies.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Broadcasts/Index.cfm

Perhaps this is what UND should have been doing. Offer the big draws of Hockey and Football together as a package, and M & W Basketball and Women's Hockey as a separte package. I know the Clear Channel network is great because it reaches so far, but Basketball games are on GF station 100.3 FM only. Good luck getting that if you're more than 25 miles away from Grand Forks.