SiouxSports.com Forum

Stafford signs!

BB9

yeah, well, the source also said that he would be signing a $900,000 contract, which is bogus cause the NHL doesnt have that high of contracts anymore for incoming players, its down near $650,000...so go figure, i wont trust THE SOURCE untill drew, UND, or NHL says it officially, it isnt official.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything here, but you need to go back and re-check those figures, you are more than a little incorrect. As far as Drew being gone, you can wait for the press release, but it's happening, deal with it however you like.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything here, but you need to go back and re-check those figures, you are more than a little incorrect. As far as Drew being gone, you can wait for the press release, but it's happening, deal with it however you like.

"respectfully", would you be kind enough to look up those figs for me? wait......here it is....

There are no more $900,000 signing bonuses.

2004 Draft Picks can receive the maximum $688,940 in the first two years of the contract, and $984,200 in the third year under the terms of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement. In addition to salary, players can receive a signing bonus of $590,520, to be paid in the first two years of the contract, and has the potential to earn the maximum entry-level performance bonuses, totaling $850,000 per year.

"respectfully", would you be kind enough to look up those figs for me? wait......here it is....

2004 Draft Picks can receive the maximum $688,940 in the first two years of the contract, and $984,200 in the third year under the terms of the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement. In addition to salary, players can receive a signing bonus of $590,520, to be paid in the first two years of the contract, and has the potential to earn the maximum entry-level performance bonuses, totaling $850,000 per year.

You said $900,000 contract.

As far as Drew being gone, you can wait for the press release, but it's happening, deal with it however you like.

You're more likely than not correct but I'll delay the loss as long as I can. Nothing like being an ostrich, huh!? ;)

You're more likely than not correct but I'll delay the loss as long as I can. Nothing like being an ostrich, huh!? ;)

yeah, i think our hatred for the fact that he is leaving is outweighing our dissapointment at this point. he prolly will leave, but, hell, lets just act like he isnt for now. i mean, at this moment, as far as we know, he isnt leaving. nothing is signed, or official, so yeah.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, OK ;)

lol i think someone just wants staffy out. otherwise, you wouldnt be so keen to give up on the possibility of him coming back. let me ask you something. where are you from? because i live in Grand Forks, go to school at UND, and had a class with drew last semester. he said then that he didnt think he was gonna leave. i nkow its been a while since then, but you never know. now, please, enough with the crappy mood about him ok? at least until it is announced officially, IF it is announced officially.

does this cap apply to free agency as well? foregive me if this is a dumb question, I could care less about the NHL..

lol i think someone just wants staffy out. otherwise, you wouldnt be so keen to give up on the possibility of him coming back. let me ask you something. where are you from? because i live in Grand Forks, go to school at UND, and had a class with drew last semester. he said then that he didnt think he was gonna leave. i nkow its been a while since then, but you never know. now, please, enough with the crappy mood about him ok? at least until it is announced officially, IF it is announced officially.

Please explain to me how it matters where I'm from, or how you had class with Stafford, so therefore he's staying, because he told you he was. He told me the same thing at the meet and greet, so did Smaby and Zajac. ??? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm glad that you are an upbeat person. BUT who I am and where I come from are of no revlevance at all to the situation. There is just too much money on the line for him to not go, it's just a simple fact. As much as we all love Sioux Hockey, we have to realize that the goal for these guys IS the NHL. Why begrudge them their dreams and an opportunity to make a living playing the best game ever. I'd be glad if Stafford stuck around, all of these early defections will have an impact, without a doubt. ( It wouldn't suprise me in the least to see JPar gone as well, but I really hope he stays.)

Please explain to me how it matters where I'm from, or how you had class with Stafford, so therefore he's staying, because he told you he was. He told me the same thing at the meet and greet, so did Smaby and Zajac. ;) I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm glad that you are an upbeat person. BUT who I am and where I come from are of no revlevance at all to the situation. There is just too much money on the line for him to not go, it's just a simple fact. As much as we all love Sioux Hockey, we have to realize that the goal for these guys IS the NHL. Why begrudge them their dreams and an opportunity to make a living playing the best game ever. I'd be glad if Stafford stuck around, all of these early defections will have an impact, without a doubt. ( It wouldn't suprise me in the least to see JPar gone as well, but I really hope he stays.)

Correct. For these type of players, college is merely a way to get to the NHL. That doesn't mean they don't enjoy the experience, or build some ties to the college/team, but the number 1 goal is still to play pro hockey, and make a living doing it. It is a rare athlete indeed, who will turn down the money to play an extra year in the college ranks.

P.S. - Parise is not going anywhere...........

Please explain to me how it matters where I'm from, or how you had class with Stafford, so therefore he's staying, because he told you he was. He told me the same thing at the meet and greet, so did Smaby and Zajac. ??? I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm glad that you are an upbeat person. BUT who I am and where I come from are of no revlevance at all to the situation. There is just too much money on the line for him to not go, it's just a simple fact. As much as we all love Sioux Hockey, we have to realize that the goal for these guys IS the NHL. Why begrudge them their dreams and an opportunity to make a living playing the best game ever. I'd be glad if Stafford stuck around, all of these early defections will have an impact, without a doubt. ( It wouldn't suprise me in the least to see JPar gone as well, but I really hope he stays.)

for the record, "JPar" already went on record saying officially he wasnt leaving. as far as staffy is concerned....who knows. we have yet to find out. it will be determined eventually. it is alot of money. he'll prolly go for it. but you never know. id just rather keep that little light od him possibly comin back alive. the reason i was asking wher you are from is because there are a good amount of people on her who are from, say, ohio, or arizona, or florida to name a few in particular, who arent around the environment we are up here and wouldnt get the chance to interact personally. knowing that you have interacted with them, i respect the fact that you got the same facts as i did. and if 2 out of 3 said they were staying and left, then of course, we are gonna think the 3rd will too. and he prolly will. no one is trying to begrudge their dreams. just wishing they would have stuck around.

for the record, "JPar" already went on record saying officially he wasnt leaving. as far as staffy is concerned....who knows. we have yet to find out. it will be determined eventually. it is alot of money. he'll prolly go for it. but you never know. id just rather keep that little light od him possibly comin back alive. the reason i was asking wher you are from is because there are a good amount of people on her who are from, say, ohio, or arizona, or florida to name a few in particular, who arent around the environment we are up here and wouldnt get the chance to interact personally. knowing that you have interacted with them, i respect the fact that you got the same facts as i did. and if 2 out of 3 said they were staying and left, then of course, we are gonna think the 3rd will too. and he prolly will. no one is trying to begrudge their dreams. just wishing they would have stuck around.

Huh?

for the record, "JPar" already went on record saying officially he wasnt leaving.

So did Spirko, and we are still hearing the rumors about him going to Europe to play after the semester is over. Sometimes what players say, and what actually ends up happening, differs.

So did Spirko, and we are still hearing the rumors about him going to Europe to play after the semester is over. Sometimes what players say, and what actually ends up happening, differs.

"on the record" is about as official as me saying that i'm gonna try out for the sioux next year. all it means is that if there have been offers, they aren't good enough and they are working on it, the only thing that will matter is who shows up for captains practice and who hak says makes his squad.

i apologize for this all being one big quote as it is several different peoples posts, but

does this cap apply to free agency as well? foregive me if this is a dumb question, I could care less about the NHL..

as far as i can tell, it applies to all incoming players. im not sure on the specifics though.

there are different levels for different years of draft picks because they were signed under the old cba, new draft picks 05 on up are all subject to the same terms. as far as free agents go....my understanding is they are subject to free agent minimums based on number of years in the league, years with a team, among other variable, but the high end for these college players being undrafted free agents is lower than those drafted

"on the record" is about as official as me saying that i'm gonna try out for the sioux next year. all it means is that if there have been offers, they aren't good enough and they are working on it, the only thing that will matter is who shows up for captains practice and who hak says makes his squad.

i apologize for this all being one big quote as it is several different peoples posts, but

there are different levels for different years of draft picks because they were signed under the old cba, new draft picks 05 on up are all subject to the same terms. as far as free agents go....my understanding is they are subject to free agent minimums based on number of years in the league, years with a team, among other variable, but the high end for these college players being undrafted free agents is lower than those drafted

Thanks for the info. As you probably summized, I was wondering if there could be a financial benefit to Drew if he stayed and became a free agent.

By the way, Brady Murray told me he was definitely coming back last year at the frozen four. Lets face it, money is powerful. I for one would love to see Drew stay and take a run at the Hobey. It would be rather special and potentially unprecedented to have 3 Hobey finalists on the same team.

Good luck Drew

Why is everyone fighting. I think it is stupid cause if this is true that Drew is leaving we all have to deal with a great loss. I don't want him to leave either but if it is what he wants to do then we can't stop him. Im sure i speak for everone when I say BEST OF LUCK STAFFY :lol:

Thanks for the info. As you probably summized, I was wondering if there could be a financial benefit to Drew if he stayed and became a free agent.

By the way, Brady Murray told me he was definitely coming back last year at the frozen four. Lets face it, money is powerful. I for one would love to see Drew stay and take a run at the Hobey. It would be rather special and potentially unprecedented to have 3 Hobey finalists on the same team.

Good luck Drew

Boston College in 2000 I believe(maybe 2001) had three of the final ten Hobey finalists. They were Mottau, Gionta, and Farkas.

It hasn't happened since and I doubt it will ever happen again no matter what kind of years Stafford, Oshie and Toews have. In '02 the Gophers should have had three finalists but only had one. Pohl led the nation in scoring while Taffe was fifth in the nation in points and third in goals, but neither were among the final ten.

Even if Stafford did come back, which will NEVER happen, I think Oshie and Toews are stronger hobey candidates anyway.

Boston College in 2000 I believe(maybe 2001) had three of the final ten Hobey finalists. They were Mottau, Gionta, and Farkas.

It hasn't happened since and I doubt it will ever happen again no matter what kind of years Stafford, Oshie and Toews have. In '02 the Gophers should have had three finalists but only had one. Pohl led the nation in scoring while Taffe was fifth in the nation in points and third in goals, but neither were among the final ten.

Even if Stafford did come back, which will NEVER happen, I think Oshie and Toews are stronger hobey candidates anyway.

Someone check the temperature in hell, bucky finally said something I can agree with. (That's not a mistake, I said "agree with, not "argue with". )