SiouxSports.com Forum

CRAIG SMITH

the747kid

Look at what Craig Smith has done at Mayville State... Doesn't anybody around know that Mayville was 1-27 the year before he got there??? Yep... 1-27... So Smith takes over and what happens??? They go to a national tournament in his first year... HE TOOK OVER A 1-27 TEAM AND GOT THEM TO THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT IN HIS FIRST SEASON... Then what happens this year? They beat our ass in Grand Forks and won 28 games... Oh yeah, AND THEY MADE IT TO THE ELITE EIGHT OF THE NATIONAL TOURNAMENT... SO... JUST TO RECAP... Craig Smith takes over a program that won 1 game and then goes to two National Tournaments... HMMMMMM......... DON'T YOU THINK WE COULD USE A TURNAROUND AT UND RIGHT ABOUT NOW?!?!?!

Very well said. If you spend five minutes speaking to Craig Smith, you realize quickly he knows what he is talking about. Passionate, energetic, driven, and youthful. Rich Glas is going to take the UNI job. It will most likely be a done deal by Friday the 21st. UND and Tom Buning need to move quickly on Craig Smith. This is a no-brainer. And as for the players backing Randall Herbst, that is to be expected. That is what players do. They feel a loyalty to the program, and at the same time have a fear of the unknown. Some of the current UND players need to look in the mirror and ask themselves how Mayville State rolled in here and beat the Sioux on their home court.

Very well said. If you spend five minutes speaking to Craig Smith, you realize quickly he knows what he is talking about. Passionate, energetic, driven, and youthful. Rich Glas is going to take the UNI job. It will most likely be a done deal by Friday the 21st. UND and Tom Buning need to move quickly on Craig Smith. This is a no-brainer. And as for the players backing Randall Herbst, that is to be expected. That is what players do. They feel a loyalty to the program, and at the same time have a fear of the unknown. Some of the current UND players need to look in the mirror and ask themselves how Mayville State rolled in here and beat the Sioux on their home court.

Excellent point....something like this should NEVER happen. Teams that are clearly that inferior should not be able to come into another's house and make themselves a sandwhich!! :silly:

Or fear of losing their scholarship. Who is to say the new coach gets rid of all players and honors none of the scholarships...its in the players best interest to back him....that way they know their safe...which is why players opinion should not count...especially of solicitated!!!

I can buy that. I will say that I think that Craig Smith would probably be an excellent choice....and that besides being a huge Sioux fan, I am a huge Comet fan, and that Comet fans would hate to lose him (as we did Tim Miles, who is also one class individual, like Craig Smith).

I can buy that. I will say that I think that Craig Smith would probably be an excellent choice....and that besides being a huge Sioux fan, I am a huge Comet fan, and that Comet fans would hate to lose him (as we did Tim Miles, who is also one class individual, like Craig Smith).

Sodbuster:

Is it true that Craig Smith has not applied for the UND position, and will not apply unless specifically asked to apply (which hasn't happened yet, according to one Mayville source) ?

Sodbuster:

Is it true that Craig Smith has not applied for the UND position, and will not apply unless specifically asked to apply (which hasn't happened yet, according to one Mayville source) ?

If it's true that Buning hasn't been in contact with probably the most popular local candidate (at least according to the Herald poll), I find it puzzling, and a bit unsettling. If I were the a.d., I'd have been in contact with Smith and at least a few other candidates immediately upon hearing the news of Rich Glas's resignation, if not sooner. Unless Buning really wants to hire Herbst but didn't think it politically wise to do so without at least going through the motions of a national search, I can't see the logic of not yet having contacted Smith, among others.

If it's true that Buning hasn't been in contact with probably the most popular local candidate (at least according to the Herald poll), I find it puzzling, and a bit unsettling. If I were the a.d., I'd have been in contact with Smith and at least a few other candidates immediately upon hearing the news of Rich Glas's resignation, if not sooner. Unless Buning really wants to hire Herbst but didn't think it politically wise to do so without at least going through the motions of a national search, I can't see the logic of not yet having contacted Smith, among others.

IMO, Craig Smith needs one additional position on his resume (as a DII head coach or a DI assistant) before he would be the odds-on-favorite for the UND position. The jump from NAIA to (likely) DI is just too much of one-time promotion. That said, I think the new UND coach is likely to be an established (i.e. winning) DII coach who'd relish an opportunity at the DI level.

IMO, Craig Smith needs one additional position on his resume (as a DII head coach or a DI assistant) before he would be the odds-on-favorite for the UND position. The jump from NAIA to (likely) DI is just too much of one-time promotion. That said, I think the new UND coach is likely to be an established (i.e. winning) DII coach who'd relish an opportunity at the DI level.

I disagree, Smith has demonstrated an ability to put together a team that was good enough to get to the final 8 teams of the NAIA II national tournament. That, in and of itself, is a team as good as some of the lower to mid-level if not upper echelon NCAA DII teams in the country. The manner in which he did it, by using a combination of local HS and transfer products as well as transfers from other parts of the country, is the exact same way it can be done at UND. Success at different levels is relative. Imagine what Smith could do at UND with all of the best facilities and exceptional resources. I am not a Smith apologist, I simply know that what he has done at an NAIA program with limited resources compared to other NAIA programs is well respected and highly thought of. He is without question worthy of being contacted and pursued to be the next coach at UND. He is more qualified than any JUCO coach that might apply and definitely more qualified and carries himself in a more professional manner than some other potential candidates. Here is a guy who has local ties and would treat the UND job as a career move rather than a stepping stone.

If I am not mistaken, a pretty good football coach at UND took the exact same route and has not only been successful, he has put together a top notch DII football program that includes a NCAA National Championship. Let's see, he was an assistant at NCAA DII, went to NAIA University of Mary and was successful with many more resources than those that exist at Mayville, and then was named head coach at UND. Smith was an assistant at NDSU, (don't even bring the "enemy" argument up and demonstrate some ignorant bias) became the head coach at Mayville and rebuilt a downtrodden program in TWO years into a national power at that level. Do NOT igonre that parallel and think Smith somehow needs more seasoning. He has demonstrated success as a Head Coach at the four year level and is without question a candidate that deserves a chance to come on campus and put himself in position to pursue the job.

The only other "regional" candidate that truly deserves consideration would be Billeter at Augustana. He proved he could compete and win on a national level in Fargo, and with limited resources at Augustana, compared to UND anyway, has that program moving in a very positive direction.

Either guy would be a good hire. A national search will bring in some amazing candidates on paper, I just hope UND doesn't get too excited when big names are calling for references for some of these candidates. They simply need a quality guy and a FRESH start within that program. The players that are all "supporting" Herbst will be gone in a few years and the new coach will hopefully be there for the long term. Of course they would want him to be the coach, he recruited most of if not all of them and they have loyalty to him. The bottom line is you can blame Coach Glas for the down fall of the program, but you need players to win. You can't win with inferior talent, and the guy responsible for bringing the current level of talent in needs to be held accountable as well!

Sodbuster:

I agree that Smith certainly appears to be a great candidate for our open position but, if your info is correct, he must be fairly arrogant to take the stance that he isn't going to apply unless someone asks him to. While he is probably the best candidate from the upper midwest, there will be lots of good candidates. He is sending the message that he may be difficult to work with!

If I am not mistaken, a pretty good football coach at UND took the exact same route and has not only been successful, he has put together a top notch DII football program that includes a NCAA National Championship. Let's see, he was an assistant at NCAA DII, went to NAIA University of Mary and was successful with many more resources than those that exist at Mayville, and then was named head coach at UND. Smith was an assistant at NDSU, (don't even bring the "enemy" argument up and demonstrate some ignorant bias) became the head coach at Mayville and rebuilt a downtrodden program in TWO years into a national power at that level. Do NOT igonre that parallel and think Smith somehow needs more seasoning. He has demonstrated success as a Head Coach at the four year level and is without question a candidate that deserves a chance to come on campus and put himself in position to pursue the job.

The parallel breaks down when you consider that UND will likely be DI soon. Consider if Lennon had applied for a UND DIAA head coaching position from from an NAIA U of Mary vs a DII U of Mary. A jump from NAIA to DIAA may have been considered too much of a stretch, while from DII to DIAA wouldn't have been.

When making a head coaching decision, an issue that has to be considered is what type of staff will be assembled. This certainly may not be fair, but a coach direct from the NAIA ranks may not be able to attract the staff for recruiting and scouting that an otherwise better-known coach could.

I agree that Smith certainly appears to be a great candidate for our open position but, if your info is correct, he must be fairly arrogant to take the stance that he isn't going to apply unless someone asks him to. While he is probably the best candidate from the upper midwest, there will be lots of good candidates. He is sending the message that he may be difficult to work with!

The manner in which AD's go about filling their head coaching slots has changed. Twenty years ago, an opening gets posted and interested candidates apply. Now, any candidate can still throw his name in, but the press will release his name signaling to his current employer he is ready to move on. Unless the AD has previously informally contacted him- a type of precreening, he really has no chance anyway and his resume just gets thrown in the circular file and the act of applying undermines his current position.

If anything, I would say Smith's behavior reflects very positively on him.

The manner in which AD's go about filling their head coaching slots has changed. Twenty years ago, an opening gets posted and interested candidates apply. Now, any candidate can still throw his name in, but the press will release his name signaling to his current employer he is ready to move on. Unless the AD has previously informally contacted him- a type of precreening, he really has no chance anyway and his resume just gets thrown in the circular file and the act of applying undermines his current position.

If anything, I would say Smith's behavior reflects very positively on him.

I agree. I think it's common knowledge that Smith won't be at Mayville State much longer, as he's clearly destined for bigger things. Without knowing who else is interested in the UND job, I can't say whether or not Smith should be considered a leading candidate, but on the surface it sure seems like he should get strong consideration. And that's why I am so perplexed if Buning hasn't contacted him already. One thing is certain--Smith doesn't shy away from a challenge. He would not have taken the Mayville position as his first head coaching job if he didn't have a lot of confidence in himself. If one believes the numbers reported to the federal government, Mayville State's total men's basketball budget is less than $45,000, so to win at such a small school in such a small town with such a small budget is incredible.

As far as I know, Coach Smith has not applied. The word around town is that he's stated he really enjoys the small town life, that Mayville is a great place to raise kids' etc. This may be just wishful thinking, speculation, etc. on our part. It is a fact that he and the team enjoy great community support. If he has a chance at significantly more money and a situation like UND's, I can't see how he would be able to pass it up.

As far as I know, Coach Smith has not applied. The word around town is that he's stated he really enjoys the small town life, that Mayville is a great place to raise kids' etc. This may be just wishful thinking, speculation, etc. on our part. It is a fact that he and the team enjoy great community support. If he has a chance at significantly more money and a situation like UND's, I can't see how he would be able to pass it up.

Hmmm....when underclass hockey players say that it means in about a week we'll hear they've signed their pro contract.

An Open Letter to Tom Buning, Betty Ralston, and Gene Roebuck:

It's not too late. By not using the term "Finalists" to describe the four coaches invited for on-campus interviews, you have wisely left the door wide open for other candidates to enter the picture. It is one of the few moves you've made that I agree with. Now, I implore you to use this option. Craig Smith is still out there. He's waiting to hear from you. Mr. Buning, I know you've met with Smith. And I also know that you were impressed with him. Call him. It's not too late. Give him the interview vacated by Herbst's departure. If you don't, I can assure you this: When you start looking for a new coach again in three years, Craig Smith won't be at Mayville State anymore, and he won't be waiting for his phone to ring.

An Open Letter to Tom Buning, Betty Ralston, and Gene Roebuck:

It's not too late. By not using the term "Finalists" to describe the four coaches invited for on-campus interviews, you have wisely left the door wide open for other candidates to enter the picture. It is one of the few moves you've made that I agree with. Now, I implore you to use this option. Craig Smith is still out there. He's waiting to hear from you. Mr. Buning, I know you've met with Smith. And I also know that you were impressed with him. Call him. It's not too late. Give him the interview vacated by Herbst's departure. If you don't, I can assure you this: When you start looking for a new coach again in three years, Craig Smith won't be at Mayville State anymore, and he won't be waiting for his phone to ring.

Did you actually send this to the three decision-makers? If not, you need to do so. Posting it here does no good! If you have sent it to them - great! If not, you should do so along with anyone else who shares concerns about how this is being handled.