SiouxSports.com Forum

Stafford probably gone

BB9

I hear from a reliable source that the answer is no. Is that for certain? Again, no. But I just don't see him coming back.

One should have more postive thoughts. Anything is possible. But your probably right.

I am just surprise nothing has happened as of yet.

He's not coming back, unless he wants to throw away over $300,000. I think it's been well proven that when a player says he's coming back it means nothing. When his teammate(Finley) says it, it probably means even less. Buffalo will give him whatever he wants this summer. They will not risk losing a first round pick to free agency, which is what could happen if they allow him to play his senior year.

One should have more postive thoughts. Anything is possible. But your probably right.

I am just surprise nothing has happened as of yet.

I could be wrong but I've just assumed nothing has happened yet because of his injury. I assume he's not going to play anymore this year to rest his knee so there isn't much rush to sign him and get him into the AHL playoffs.

He's not coming back, unless he wants to throw away over $300,000. I think it's been well proven that when a player says he's coming back it means nothing. When his teammate(Finley) says it, it probably means even less. Buffalo will give him whatever he wants this summer. They will not risk losing a first round pick to free agency, which is what could happen if they allow him to play his senior year.

So apparently you have the ear of the Buffalo GM? :glare: Or you and the Buffalo GM play golf together. :silly: My Guess is that you have no more information than any of us on this message board. But unforunately, your right, Drew is probably gone.

I don't think that discounts the fact that all we are doing is merely speculating? Also, I wouldn't assume that its a done deal. Lee Goren came back to win an NCAA title. If I was Drew I would wait Buffalo out and see what they do. They are a young team loaded with young players. There isn't much hope of making the Big club next season. I might see what else happens in the off season.

Who the heck knows, maybe Finely is right. In fact Joe is actually on the team and you have a BuckySieve moniker so I am not sure if your agenda is to troll and get people excited. Which is fine if that is your agenda.

So apparently you have the ear of the Buffalo GM? :glare: Or you and the Buffalo GM play golf together. :silly: My Guess is that you have no more information than any of us on this message board. But unforunately, your right, Drew is probably gone.

I don't think that discounts the fact that all we are doing is merely speculating? Also, I wouldn't assume that its a done deal. Lee Goren came back to win an NCAA title. If I was Drew I would wait Buffalo out and see what they do. They are a young team loaded with young players. There isn't much hope of making the Big club next season. I might see what else happens in the off season.

Who the heck knows, maybe Finely is right. In fact Joe is actually on the team and you have a BuckySieve moniker so I am not sure if your agenda is to troll and get people excited. Which is fine if that is your agenda.

Potulny and Irmen would have liked to stay but it would have cost them over $300,000. Stafford is in the same boat. That's why I think he'll leave. I'm not trolling, it's just my opinion.

It's more than speculation......just look at the facts.

From Buffalo's point of view, if they doesn't sign him, he can become a free agent next year, and sign with any team he choses, with Buffalo getting NO compensation for him. So in effect, they will have pissed away a number 1 pick.

From Stafford's point of view, if he does wait till next year, he will NOT get a larger signing bonus, nor salary from any team that signs him (assuming that Buffalo will offer the rookie max), who ever that may be. However, if he has an off year, or possibly sustains a serious injury of sort, his value could drop, and even going the free agent route, could get considerably LESS money next year. So there is no real advantage on his part for not signing.

Bottom line.......Buffalo will offer the max.........Stafford signs. Will be shocked if he doesn't.

Potulny and Irmen would have liked to stay but it would have cost them over $300,000. Stafford is in the same boat. That's why I think he'll leave. I'm not trolling, it's just my opinion.

It's worse than that as well. Signing this year get him his bonus based on a three year deal. I believe he'd only get a two year deal next year, but if he tested free agency he could potentially sign with a team that would put him on their NHL roster with no AHL time. At least that's how I gave myself a glimmer of hope reguarding Irmen.

If he returns out of love for UND hockey, he should be elevated to diety status around here replacing Zach. I would be very impressed as well and he'd be easy to cheer for from an opposition perspective.

Buffalo didn't sign Vanek until late in the summer, so I wouldn't expect Stafford to sign right away.

UND will be devastating if Toews, Oshie and Parise return, with or without Drew.

Amazing then, considering he was one of the NCAA Academic All Stars this year--check your facts.

you don't think that they have tutors for every single class that they are in?? c'mon now. with all the travel time and time away from school that they spend playing their respective sports, you'd be stupid to think otherwise. It's probably easier for them to hang out with tutors, show up for review and test days and go to the rink. These kids aren't stupid enough to not take advantage of that being if they don't get the grades they don't get to play.

Does Hak not have a "Must attend class policy?" I know Blais had that rule, and thought maybe Hak carried it over. I always remember seeing Deano showing up at some of my classes, to make sure O'Connell, Skarperud, and Hoogsteen were in class. Of course, Roche skipped, which led to the entire team doing stairs. :silly:

He appears to be having alot of fun with RSP. Also, depending on what his financial status he may be able to put off the money for a year.

I would consider waiting a year to cash in if the year was spent as a UND hockey star. He is a frickin' king at this place.

That said, you got to be practical and take the money. I'd be shocked if he came back.

[

I could be wrong but I've just assumed nothing has happened yet because of his injury. I assume he's not going to play anymore this year to rest his knee so there isn't much rush to sign him and get him into the AHL playoffs.

He played during the Western regionals & the Frozen four--if he wasn't fully healed, I don't think the UND coaching staff, let alone Buffalo, would've allowed him to play.

Buffalo's AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans, didn't make the playoffs, hence for that reason he wouldn't be needed to play on that level, like Zajac.

I sure hope that you are right for Drew's sake. Yes he was the assist on that one, but I know that late in the game when I expected him to be on the ice he wasn't. It just raised a concern in my mind. Could be just a hyper imagination.