SiouxSports.com Forum

Irish hostile and abusive?

PCM

As you are always bashing people about their knowledge of the "true" Sioux, such as yourself, it is amazing how lacking you are about the culture we talk about. You stupidity is overwhelming...

So here are a couple of culture diversity lessons for you.

1) Very few Vikings were raiding tribes or villages, and yes, they were referred to tribes. Most were traders. They traded items all over Europe, Africa and Asia. They traded a great deal with Orient. Most of the long distant traveling was done on land in caravans, not by boat.

2) Vikings never had helmets with horns.

3) Viking settlements still exist today, but are not known as "Viking settlement" due to the fact that their culture has evolved with time. The city of Kiev, along with many of the larger cities in that region were original Viking/Scandinavian trading settlements. Do they still do cultural things as their ancestors did. Yes they do. Do they claim to be Vikings; no they claim to be Ukrainian now.

Why, do they claim to be Ukrainian now? Why did my grandfather and his grandfather before him claim to be Canadian, rather then Viking? The same reason you claim to be Sioux, instead of Asian or European, were your true ancestors came from.

The one thing you seem to not understand, GK, is cultures evolve. You may ride horse, or sleep in a teepee, or serve in the armed forces (which as much as I despise you for your other traits, I truly thank you for) but that doesn't make you a Sioux of olden days. You don't ONLY live in a teepee, you do not migrate with the Bison, you don't farm and hunt solely for your food. You have a house/apartment/condo, which is stationary, you go to the store to get most your food.

Culture is nice GK, but it is also the past. Even if you could, you would never go back to the way it was 500 years ago. Don't try and fool yourself.

Very good points Bacardio but GK won't get them. He has constantly bashed other cultures and truly believes he is the only one with any pride in his. Because other cultures have moved forward as the times and evolution dictate, he belittles them. When someone such as yourself attempts to educate him, he 1) insults you/your culture or 2) ignores the information.

As much as I dislike GK for things he has said and done, I also pity him. It must be very lonely living in a tunnel.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I DO ride horses, and I DO sleep in tipis. and I DO speak my language, and I DO practice my Lakota way of life. Why must being an american mean giving up who I am? Instead of attacking me, why not explain the whole leprechaun/viking thing to me.

I wasn't attacking you. As for your Lakota way of life, I think that it's important to hold on to the values of your ancestry. After the Fighting Sioux name whats going to be next on your agenda? Are we going to have to live in a completly sterile PC world? Are you going to go after commercial business and government programs that use Native images or words? Where exactly do you see it stopping.

Once more, I'm not attacking you. I'm merely asking what I think may be a legitimate question.

That's a good question. I, and this is the truth, didn't know this problem even existed until I step foot on campus. Do you think UND promotes this FS crap in ANY Native publications? No.

And do you think that 8 hours southwest of here anyone gives a rip about Hockey? No, again. If I could do it again, I wouldn't be here. I say this because I wanted the entire College experience. I wanted to root for my team, I wanted to attend games and tailgate, but do you think that'll happen here? Not on your life.

The level of education I have received on campus has been excellent. I have met many wonderful people. And like the pins I made last year state:

"UND

a great school, plagued by a racist name"

Its only a matter of time before we bring this to an end, though. I can guarantee that it will get worse before it gets better, but change is always difficult. But do you think that UND will be "less" of a team when the name changes? I don't

That's a good question. I, and this is the truth, didn't know this problem even existed until I step foot on campus. Do you think UND promotes this FS crap in ANY Native publications? No.

And do you think that 8 hours southwest of here anyone gives a rip about Hockey? No, again. If I could do it again, I wouldn't be here. I say this because I wanted the entire College experience. I wanted to root for my team, I wanted to attend games and tailgate, but do you think that'll happen here? Not on your life.

The level of education I have received on campus has been excellent. I have met many wonderful people. And like the pins I made last year state:

"UND

a great school, plagued by a racist name"

Its only a matter of time before we bring this to an end, though. I can guarantee that it will get worse before it gets better, but change is always difficult. But do you think that UND will be "less" of a team when the name changes? I don't

You can leave, you know. Why would you choose to stay if this is how you feel? Just becuase you came here when you were a Freshman doesn't mean you have to stay here all 4 (or more) years.

The problem here GK is not the nickname or the logo, the problem is people like you that have nothing better to do with there time but whine and bring attention to them selves. You knew what the nickname was when you came to the school and you still came, you know now that you are offended by it, the school year is almost over so leave

The problem here GK is not the nickname or the logo, the problem is people like you that have nothing better to do with there time but whine and bring attention to them selves. You knew what the nickname was when you came to the school and you still came, you know now that you are offended by it, the school year is almost over so leave

When the name change is eventually forced on this campus, I hope you take heed to your own words. I have nothing better to do.....hmmm, I say standing up for my rights and the rights of the Sioux Nation is pretty important. I only stood out there for a couple hours, you probably spent more getting ready for the game, parking, attending the game, and leaving. I would consider that a greater waste of time.

I have nothing better to do.....hmmm, I say standing up for my rights and the rights of the Sioux Nation is pretty important.

Exactly which rights of yours are being violated? Exactly which rights of the Sioux Nation are being violated? Please cite chapter and verse, because I really, truly want to know.

Gk, I would not have a problem with UND Fighting Sioux changing the name and logo, on one condition: Get rid of all the indian studies programs they offer, and you can pay for your own degree rather than me paying for you. For all that the university does for native americans rather than being gratefull and take advantage of what they offer, you sit on these sites and whine!

Gk, I would not have a problem with UND Fighting Sioux changing the name and logo, on one condition: Get rid of all the indian studies programs they offer, and you can pay for your own degree rather than me paying for you. For all that the university does for native americans rather than being gratefull and take advantage of what they offer, you sit on these sites and whine!

I hate when people make statements like these. It makes us look just as petty and rediculous as GK. I, however, understand the aspect of the argument of when is GK going to stop trying to do nothing but find negatives and acknowledge the good that UND does for Native Americans. That is a much better argument.

I would disagree, you might need to look into it alittle more before you make that statement

Ditto. Sorry but I'm right on this one.

Old information but it can't be too far off.

http://www.UND.nodak.edu/news/NEW_SCRIPTS/...ease.jsp?id=680

"Indian students, like most others at UND, typically pay for their educations from multiple sources that include scholarships and grants, loans, part-time jobs, and savings. The estimated cost of attending UND last year, including room and board but excluding personal costs such as clothing, ranged from $7,000 to $11,600 for undergraduates, and higher for graduate and professional students.

Other highlights from the report:

Edited by Sioux-cia

There are programs set up for Native Americans, but just because you're a Native American doesn't mean that you get to go to school for free or anything. I'm sure Native Americans have to work just as hard to obtain their scholarships as anyone else does. And I know about working hard for scholarships cause I never got one. ;)

I have spoken with people from the buisness offices at UND, and there are programs set up for the native amicans, one for instance is the rain program. They also have access to there own computer labs and tutors in certain programs

See my edited post. I don't disagree that there are a lot of Native American programs on the University of North Dakota. Hardly a 'hostile and abusive' atmosphere. But you are not paying for GK's education anymore than you are paying tuition for students who get Pell grants, scholarships, etc. For example, my step-dad worked for US Steel and they used to offer lots of grants and scholarships to employees and their families, our church did as well.

They also need and I stress need to allow so many native americans into certain programs

Dont wanna get into a pissing contest with you because we are on the same side but much of the money that funds these programs come from federal grants not state money so of course they need NA's in the programs. The grants written for the money would stipulate that.

What I find so interesting is that the people who wrote the grants for the programs at UND are opponents of the Sioux name and logo. If there is such a hostile and abusive environment at UND, why not write those grants and take that money to another institution, i.e South Dakota, St. Cloud, etc.

See my edited post. I don't disagree that there are a lot of Native American programs on the University of North Dakota. Hardly a 'hostile and abusive' atmosphere. But you are not paying for GK's education anymore than you are paying tuition for students who get Pell grants, scholarships, etc. For example, my step-dad worked for US Steel and they used to offer lots of grants and scholarships to employees and their families, our church did as well.

I don't disagree with you on this either, but there are advantages and programs in place for native americans, my point is if they don't like the name and or logo than don't come to school here and take advantage of the what has been put in place for them. A reason that they do come to school here is because of what is offered to them which is great, but then don't turn around and say that the school or students are hostile and abusive.

I don't disagree with you on this either, but there are advantages and programs in place for native americans, my point is if they don't like the name and or logo than don't come to school here and take advantage of the what has been put in place for them. A reason that they do come to school here is because of what is offered to them which is great, but then don't turn around and say that the school or students are hostile and abusive.

Believe it or not people come to school here to get an EDUCATION and could care less about the sports teams. Actually, this happens at many institutions. Again, one more ignorant person. Before you type away you should do your history, and I don't mean asking the guy next to you at the bar.

If you only did your research, you would have seen that all but 2 programs related to American Indian students actually PAY to be on campus.

If you only did your research, you would have found UND does not even mentions FS anywhere when they recruit Native Americans.

If you only did your research, you would see that there isn't ONE Sioux tribe that is behind UND's use of the name. I know PCM says otherwise, but when we were in Bismarck a couple weeks ago the Chairwoman of Spirit Lake AND the Chairman of Standing Rock both affirmed that their tribes have not changed their stance, I directly heard it from them.

So use that ignorant comment. It only shows that you have negative feelings about the people you claim to "honor."

If you only did your research, you would see that there isn't ONE Sioux tribe that is behind UND's use of the name. I know PCM says otherwise, but when we were in Bismarck a couple weeks ago the Chairwoman of Spirit Lake AND the Chairman of Standing Rock both affirmed that their tribes have not changed their stance, I directly heard it from them.

So wouldn't that mean that Spirit Lake hasn't changed their stance from the 2000 resolution, the last official stance they took?

If you care less about sports teams, why do you care about the nickname and logo of the sports teams?? ;)

Well, you live here long enough and you see enough people hurt you start to take sides. Trust me, I have more important things to do, but at this time and place my time is devoted to defending the rights of my people. So be it. We're almost there.