SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS MICHIGAN

AZSIOUX

Michigan has some talented forwards but they have less firepower than most of the top WCHA teams. Their defense is prone to turnovers with forchecking pressure and their goaltending is not good enough to overcome those mistakes. That should mean about 5 goals for UND. Michigan will maybe score 3 goals against Parise and that is only if Parise has a average game.

5 to 3 for UND...It even rhymes

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michigan will be tough, well-coached and balanced. If you look at those numbers, they spread out the goals like Lennin and Trotsky. MN on the other hand is a one trick pony. Look after Potulny's sick 38 goals and your next top goal scorer is Kessel with 17. I would have someone shadow Potulny the whole game. I couldn't believe it when SCSU let him get open at the bottom of the circle with the game on the line. Even Wooger made the comment that MN is relying way too heavily on the Potulny line. First things first though...Michigan.

I agree, Minnesota's other lines need to step up. Guyer-Chucko-Howe have become our 'checking line', but they haven't scored in about 5 years. Our fourth line hasn't been as good lately as it usually is; Kaufmann, Bostrum, and Sertich need to chip in a goal or two this weekend if the Gophs are to be successful. However, Wheeler-Kessel-Gordon have come on as of late, and I expect them to have a big weekend as well.

The Gophers, like the Sioux, are actually a very well-balanced scoring team:

Goal scoring leaders

Sioux

Stafford - 23

Oshie - 23

Towes - 19

Zajac - 15

Dunacn - 14

Spirko - 10

Gophers

Potulny - 38

Kessel - 17

Irmen - 16 (in 29 games)

Gordon - 12

Howe - 12

Goligoski - 10

Stoa - 10

Good teams have great goal scorers like Potulny, Irmen, Kessel, Oshie, Stafford, and Towes, but they also rely on other players to consitently chip one in every couple of games.

As for the UND-Mich game, I think UND will win. Michigan is talented offensively, and will score some goals, but in the end UND is too deep and solid to lose to the Ugly Helmets. A hard forechecking, gritty UND team will win a closer-than-expected 5-3 contest.

So Michigan is good but has no defence is that what im seeing. And if thats wat im seeing then a Sioux-Gopher final. unless Holy X has a Miracle on ICE. AND NORTH DAKOTA Prevails as the winner cause its hard to beat a team 5 times in one year.

Let's focus on Michigan first. It's a one and done tournament. No time to overlook any opponent in this tournament. They're there for a reason, and everyone is fighting for the same bone.

OPPS o well my mistake i dont follow gopher after lifes cuz they seem to crash nets after games lol

Thomas Vanek actually has 40 some points in the NHL not the minors. While Parise is stumbeling somewhere around the 20's. You seem to know your stuff though.

So whats are recored against Michigan in the playoffs and overall?

honestly it doesnt matter one bit. the last time we played them we beat them but that was about 4 years ago. new year, new team and lets hope we can get off to a good start and get the 1st goal of the game.

honestly it doesnt matter one bit. the last time we played them we beat them but that was about 4 years ago. new year, new team and lets hope we can get off to a good start and get the 1st goal of the game.

Didn't we win the Great Lakes Tourney a couple of years ago as well. It was a down year - but we won that trophy anyway.

I didn't know where else to post this and didn't want to start a new topic . . . . .

From CSTV's chat with Holy Cross Head Coach Paul Pearl this afternoon:

Jack(Minneapolis): Do you think the fact that all the Sioux fans that are at the rink will be rooting for you will help you? Kind of give you a little bit of a home-ice advantage, so to speak?

Coach Pearl: I don't know about home ice advantage, but I certainly appreciate all of the fans in North Dakota who may root for us. Two years ago, even when we played North Dakota, we got a nice hand after the game. I thought they were really nice, first class fans.

:D

Jack(Minneapolis): Do you think the fact that all the Sioux fans that are at the rink will be rooting for you will help you? Kind of give you a little bit of a home-ice advantage, so to speak?

Coach Pearl: I don't know about home ice advantage, but I certainly appreciate all of the fans in North Dakota who may root for us. Two years ago, even when we played North Dakota, we got a nice hand after the game. I thought they were really nice, first class fans.

Obviously he's not read any threads here about what crappy fans populate the Ralph :D

I know it is dangerous to rely on early season intel, but I think there is a lot to be learned from Minnesota on how to beat Michigan easily. Just watch the Minnesota/Michigan tilt earlier this season. Minnesota, who at the time wasn't as dominating as they were later in the season, absolutely throttled Michigan even if the score didn't reflect it.

Michigan does NOT like physical matchups and teams who are willing to crash the net and block shots. If the Sioux play like they have been playing lately, we should win.

All very good points. I believe Michigan is very talented, but for various reasons they have not been able to piece everything together and play consistently for the bulk of the season. However, they can score goals and have talent, and are capable of knocking off anyone at any given time. An aggresive Sioux forecheck, sound goaltending, and some physical play should take care of business.

All very good points. I believe Michigan is very talented, but for various reasons they have not been able to piece everything together and play consistently for the bulk of the season. However, they can score goals and have talent, and are capable of knocking off anyone at any given time. An aggresive Sioux forecheck, sound goaltending, and some physical play should take care of business.

Sounds like another team that got placed in the Sioux pool, just replace bulk of the season with playoffs. :D

I got a question on how they set the brackets up? How does the Final Five Champion get the 2 seed when the 4th place Final Five team gets the 4th seed how does that work. Shouldnt have North Dakota gotten the 1st seed just for winning the Final Five or does it go by how u do the whole year

I got a question on how they set the brackets up? How does the Final Five Champion get the 2 seed when the 4th place Final Five team gets the 4th seed how does that work. Shouldnt have North Dakota gotten the 1st seed just for winning the Final Five or does it go by how u do the whole year

1st off, how old are you....seem like a youngen

are you serious?? if so then yes its decided by the pairwise rankings which calculate how the teams get seeded in the tourney using the whole entire season. ill leave it at that since explaining it will only cause confusion.