SiouxSports.com Forum

RIP Kirby Puckett

Fetch

Talk about a unique character.

Here's something sad. My 11 year old son was sitting with me at breakfast yesterday when the news was talking about Kirby. Noticing he played for the Twins, my son asks "Dad, who's Kirby Puckett?". I grew up in the 70's hiding an old transistor radio in my bed and listening to Twins games at night under the covers. And my kid doesn't even know who Kirby Puckett is.

Boy, did he miss out.

Stark from ESPN

What does it tell us about Puckett's inimitable charisma that when he arrived for a luncheon appearance in Grand Forks, N.D., the winter after the '87 World Series, he discovered there was a minor riot breaking out -- because there were 1,000 more Puck Lovers waiting to see him than there were seats in the hall.

Anyone go to this or remember where it was held?

Hearing all the stories on the radio today really helped me to understand what a great guy he was. It's too bad that he couldn't have continued to be a bigger part of the Twins in recent years. I think people were beginning to forget about him, because we haven't heard or seen anything about him in a few years.

Kirby Puckett, a Legend for all-time.

..hard to believe BisonMav but this is something we CAN agree on! :silly: One of a kind! I remember when he came to EGF on the Twins Winter Caravan several years ago. Walked out to a big group of middle schoolers saying he was happy to be in "Grand Forks". The kids screamed out...."EAST GRAND FORKS!!" Kirby busted out in a big smile and said..."sorry guys! (screaming in that high pitched voice) EAST GRAND FORKS!" Everyone laughed!! You kind of had to be there but it was pure Kirby!! ;)

Very nice memorial. The highlight was Mudcat singing "what a wonderful world." Winfield, Ripken, Gardy, TK, Al Newman, Dan Gladden, Andy MacPhail, Harmen Killibrew, and Hrbek all spoke. I might be missing someone. Lower bowl from corner to corner was pretty full. Not sure on upperdeck.

The most heart wrenching moment was at the end. They had shut out all the lights and while the choir was singing a single spotlight shone into centerfield where Puckett's jersey was laying.