SiouxSports.com Forum

Dr. Charles Kupchella's legacy

dakotadan

Apparently Dr. Charles Kupchella is determined to make his legacy a parking ramp... :D

Herald Article I don't mind UND trying to better the parking situation, but 16.2 million could be spent alot better! And the place that they plan on building the parking ramp is rediculous. When people are coming onto campus from Gateway Dr., Columbia or East University there is nothing to welcome someone to campus like a 5 story parking garage overlooking Colimbia. ;)

First off, I don't think the parking situation at UND is bad enough to justify a 16.2 million parking garage on campus. Second, if they are determined to build one on campus, there are many better places. The back of the parking lot behind the Chester Fritz Auditorium would be the perfect place for a parking garage and it would be out of sight there. And with the new Dormitory going up over there, they will need added parking anyway.

Really, if you ask me, 16.2 MM could be MUCH BETTER SPENT! What about classrooms? What about expanding UND's Research corridor? I bet 16.2 MM would go a long way in that new medical research corridor they want to build over by the I-29 truck stop? He!!, I bet 16.2 MM would pay for that new dorm they are putting up on campus.

I just think that this is too much for a parking ramp, that really isn't needed that much, and I think it is in the wrong area!

I think the location is the right one for a parking ramp. There is no way Campus Dr could handle the kind of traffic that a ramp behind the Fritz would generate. Also, putting it there would dramatically increase the traffic through campus. Putting it on the outer edge of campus, near two major roads makes complete sense...

Do we really need a parking ramp? I'm not sure. I've been going to school here for 5 years now, and have never had problems parking. I think that the way we are growing as a campus, however, it is going to be needed sooner or later. Sure, you could build a smaller, less ornate ramp, for less money, hidden out of the way somewhere and hard to get to...but why not do it right the first time?

The ramp will be paid for by parking fees, if you use it you pay for it. That is money the University doesn't have now so it isn't money they could spend on any other use. I'm not sure if that is the right place or not, but it is closer to classrooms than many other potential locations and has the best current access with 2 major streets, Columbia and University. No other location has that access. They paid a consultant to solve a problem and this was the recommendation.

I wish they had the parking ramp when I went to school. I think to many of you live on campus and haven't done the commute. Had to park at the Old Englestad and then walk a looooooong ways in the -20 weather. They didn't even put that mini lot between the bridge and memorial until like 2002 due to all the complaints about parking. Every year that was the #1 issue brought up by student senators and nothing was ever done.

I guess I don't know if it is needed now or not, but the location is right near the Union and Library and most classroom buildings. So the spot is as good as they could get. I know originally there was some talk about putting a structure behind Tabula, but then you'd still need all those people to cross University.

Well smoggy, I did live off campus for a while, and still didn't have problems parking. However, I usually arrived to school early in the day, when good (read, close) spots were still available. Unfortunately, even if every student who lives off campus comes early, many are still forced to park out in the boonies near the old Engelstad...the reality is that some will always have to park far away.

The ramp is a good solution for this problem. Many more people will be able to park closer to the heart of campus and avoid the long walk. Also, with the parking ramp, many of those spots closest to the old engelstad may not be needed anymore. This could open up the area for expansion by either the athletic department or the EERC.

Well smoggy, I did live off campus for a while, and still didn't have problems parking. However, I usually arrived to school early in the day, when good (read, close) spots were still available. Unfortunately, even if every student who lives off campus comes early, many are still forced to park out in the boonies near the old Engelstad...the reality is that some will always have to park far away.

The ramp is a good solution for this problem. Many more people will be able to park closer to the heart of campus and avoid the long walk. Also, with the parking ramp, many of those spots closest to the old engelstad may not be needed anymore. This could open up the area for expansion by either the athletic department or the EERC.

Good point on opening up that other land.

I wasn't directing my post at you, but at those who are critical of the ramp.