SiouxSports.com Forum

West Region Hockey Tourney

westman

Hey Westman,

Just delete this thread, and do all the posting in the other thread (Suggestion). I can see this thread turning into a flame fest, that will have certain posters backing you into a corner, and making statements to get under your skin.

Just a suggestion sir..... :lol:

PS: I sure do love Dave Hakstol.... :huh:

West Region Tournament = Early glimpse at 5th through 8th place finishers at state tourney.

Nice comments, BringDeanBack. Have you ever thought it might be a good thing for the Dickinsons, Willistons, Minots, and Bismarcks to do well in the state tournament, thereby increasing interest in hockey in those communities, and perhaps leading to some future Sioux hockey players from those areas? I guess not.

In 1992, Bismarck and Minot played in the state title game. Several years later, Bismarck's own Mitch Vig became captain of the Fighting Sioux. Contrary to what you might think, competitive balance IS a good thing.

Nice comments, BringDeanBack. Have you ever thought it might be a good thing for the Dickinsons, Willistons, Minots, and Bismarcks to do well in the state tournament, thereby increasing interest in hockey in those communities, and perhaps leading to some future Sioux hockey players from those areas? I guess not.

In 1992, Bismarck and Minot played in the state title game. Several years later, Bismarck's own Mitch Vig became captain of the Fighting Sioux. Contrary to what you might think, competitive balance IS a good thing.

I think that you need to read my post again as you obviously do not get it. Where do I say that it would not be good for Dickinson, Williston, Minot, or Bismarck to do well? Where do I say that competitive balance is bad? Nowhere, so I don't know exactly what you are talking about. What my post did say is that the west is weaker than the east and they are more than likely headed for four first round losses. Yes the west was successful one year back in 1992 but they have done nothing since then to narrow the gap, which is wider than ever.

No one is arguing that the west is better than the east, but why does there have to be constant ripping on the west? No one rips on the east in the sports there not very good at. Sometimes people(especially from GF), talk about there hockey like its life or death. Yes i do respect the fact that Grand Forks is dominant in hockey, but do it with some class please. You have to remember that maybe 10 or 11 people in the state will go on to play D1 hockey in the next couple of years if that, and for the rest of them its the last year to enjoy it. For example, Bismarck High has never taken worse than 3rd place in wrestling since 1960!, that right there is dominance at its best. But if you look at how the students handle it, and the fans, there is no rubbing of it in. We know that even though Grand Forks is never that good but at the same time, why put someone down for cheering on there alma matter? Sports is the one thing that should bring everyone together in good fun and competition, and its situations like these that are just sad to witness. Cheer on your team and celebrate, but at the end of the day remember, we are all cheering on the sport that we love, so don't ruin it with cockiness and taunting.

No one is arguing that the west is better than the east, but why does there have to be constant ripping on the west? No one rips on the east in the sports there not very good at. Sometimes people(especially from GF), talk about there hockey like its life or death. Yes i do respect the fact that Grand Forks is dominant in hockey, but do it with some class please. You have to remember that maybe 10 or 11 people in the state will go on to play D1 hockey in the next couple of years if that, and for the rest of them its the last year to enjoy it. For example, Bismarck High has never taken worse than 3rd place in wrestling since 1960!, that right there is dominance at its best. But if you look at how the students handle it, and the fans, there is no rubbing of it in. We know that even though Grand Forks is never that good but at the same time, why put someone down for cheering on there alma matter? Sports is the one thing that should bring everyone together in good fun and competition, and its situations like these that are just sad to witness. Cheer on your team and celebrate, but at the end of the day remember, we are all cheering on the sport that we love, so don't ruin it with cockiness and taunting.

Nice post, thanks for the perspective.

They should play the state tournament without keeping score, that way everyone can be a winner.

I'm not sayin that everyone should win, thats just a stupid idea, there has to be winners and losers IMHO. I am talking about how the fans in the east handle themselves. Everyone knows what i'm talking about to, just look on the other ND hockey thread here, its just a big flame fest most of the time. I follow the sport because i have a family member playing for Bismarck High, and i myself played a few years back so i'm all for competition. but the way some grown men bicker and criticize about how highschool kids play a sport is kinda sad. SOME grand forks and fargo fans start arguing likes it personal, almost seems like there trying to carry out their childhood through the kids today. My point is not that everyone should win, but should you win, should you lose, should you dominate another team, do it with class

I'm not sayin that everyone should win, thats just a stupid idea, there has to be winners and losers IMHO. I am talking about how the fans in the east handle themselves. Everyone knows what i'm talking about to, just look on the other ND hockey thread here, its just a big flame fest most of the time. I follow the sport because i have a family member playing for Bismarck High, and i myself played a few years back so i'm all for competition. but the way some grown men bicker and criticize about how highschool kids play a sport is kinda sad. SOME grand forks and fargo fans start arguing likes it personal, almost seems like there trying to carry out their childhood through the kids today. My point is not that everyone should win, but should you win, should you lose, should you dominate another team, do it with class

Class being the key word. Great post.

No one is critizing HS kids (at least not in this thread).

You complaining about complaining makes you sound just as classless. Respect is earned. The truth is The West is bad. I could look up the stats and prove it but you probably already how bad it is. They have went many a tournaments when their top seed lost to the East's fourth seed. Build the west hockey programs (there is no reason they couldn't be as good as the east.) and win some state tournament games...until then its everyones right to point out how weak they are (historically).

East = WCHA

West = CHA