SiouxSports.com Forum

Greg McDermott

UND Fan

It looks like Greg McDermott may be a leading candidate for the open Missouri job. If that would happen, I wonder if Jake has made enough of a name for himself that he would get the UNI job. Otherwise, I am sure he would follow McDermott to Mizzou.

Went to UNI and Saw Mac and Jake last weekend...Tough Loss (2 in a Row now)..Anyway Missouri has obtained permission to talk with Mac at the end of the Season....Also it is rumored that Indiana has also asked for permission....

I Believe Mac will stay at UNI for a couple more Years..with the New McCleod Center opening next Year...

When he leaves the Job is Jake's...but I think Jake goes with him....they work tremendously together on and off the court, Families and all...

They are having some great sucsess, which is well deserved....GO PANTHERS!

Went to UNI and Saw Mac and Jake last weekend...Tough Loss (2 in a Row now)..Anyway Missouri has obtained permission to talk with Mac at the end of the Season....Also it is rumored that Indiana has also asked for permission....

I Believe Mac will stay at UNI for a couple more Years..with the New McCleod Center opening next Year...

When he leaves the Job is Jake's...but I think Jake goes with him....they work tremendously together on and off the court, Families and all...

They are having some great sucsess, which is well deserved....GO PANTHERS!

I used to know Jake pretty well but not in recent years. Do you think he has any interest in coaching at UND at some point down the line or would he prefer to go straight to DI?

Never say Never...But Jake will not be back at UND in my opinion...He was offered the NDSU head Job when Mac left and turned that down....

He will be offered the UNI Head Job if Mac leaves.....

But Like I said earlier...They work so well together..I bet Jake will continue on with Mac wherever he ends up in the Future....

How is this scenario? IU cans Davis. IU brings in Alford. Mac ends up at Iowa.:lol:

This what I posted on Panthernation.com

I stated last week that Mac would not go to Missouri...He would listen but not go...

I also said that I think he would stay at UNI for a couple of years and then take the 1st Big ten Job offered...

You tell me ..Iowa or Indiana Opens up at 3-4 Times what he making now....?

He will definetly Listen and this decision at the end of the Season, will be a hard one....Windows of oppurtunity only open sometimes once...

CoachDags

What do you think McDermott would think if the Minnesota position opened up? (Monson's players have never gotten much better than when they come in, his legs are about to be cut from under him) He has had major success at Northern Iowa recruited Howard Pulley Kids, this is something that the U must know. It being a Big Ten job and all would that be something that Mac and Jake might be thinking about?

CoachDags

What do you think McDermott would think if the Minnesota position opened up? (Monson's players have never gotten much better than when they come in, his legs are about to be cut from under him) He has had major success at Northern Iowa recruited Howard Pulley Kids, this is something that the U must know. It being a Big Ten job and all would that be something that Mac and Jake might be thinking about?

We talked about the Minnesota Job..last Weekend...It would be a very attractive Big Ten Job.. They have been down for so long nowhere to go but up....

However it is not open and Monson runs a Clean Ship...so until you lose alot he will not be going anywhere soon...at least 2-3 years I'm Guessing....

And yes Mac has Crawford, Coleman,Travis Brown, from Howard Pulley and Their #1 Gaurd coming next year in Kwadzo Ahelegbe....These Kids all went to Tartan H.S. and played in the pulley program...

Timing is everything and I really believe he will be interviewing for the Iowa Hawkeyes Before May1st...

We talked about the Minnesota Job..last Weekend...It would be a very attractive Big Ten Job.. They have been down for so long nowhere to go but up....

However it is not open and Monson runs a Clean Ship...so until you lose alot he will not be going anywhere soon...at least 2-3 years I'm Guessing....

And yes Mac has Crawford, Coleman,Travis Brown, from Howard Pulley and Their #1 Gaurd coming next year in Kwadzo Ahelegbe....These Kids all went to Tartan H.S. and played in the pulley program...

Timing is everything and I really believe he will be interviewing for the Iowa Hawkeyes Before May1st...

You are correct on all counts. I guess as a Gopher fan in everything except Hockey (had to justify statement) I would love to see a coaching staff with familiar, successful faces.

An interesting twist to the Greg McDermott saga. It was reported in the GF Herald today that Mac got his current salary bumped up to more than $350,000 by the end of the 2008-09 season. Will that be enough to make him stay or will the big money and prestiege of a Big 10 job win out? The funds were made available fromprivate donations. It kind of reminds me of the time Dean Blais got a boat and an annuity to sweeten his deal a few years back.

An interesting twist to the Greg McDermott saga. It was reported in the GF Herald today that Mac got his current salary bumped up to more than $350,000 by the end of the 2008-09 season. Will that be enough to make him stay or will the big money and prestiege of a Big 10 job win out? The funds were made available fromprivate donations. It kind of reminds me of the time Dean Blais got a boat and an annuity to sweeten his deal a few years back.

The thing with Dean was that he already was in the best conference with a top program. McDermott has to decide about trying his hand at a "big" school, or spending the rest of his time at UNI. It's up to him, but I think you gotta try the Big Ten. These opportunities only come around so often.

The thing with Dean was that he already was in the best conference with a top program. McDermott has to decide about trying his hand at a "big" school, or spending the rest of his time at UNI. It's up to him, but I think you gotta try the Big Ten. These opportunities only come around so often.

Maybe he's happy in Iowa?? He deserved the raise and I think Mac/UNI are happy all around AND I think I could scratch by with 1/3 of a million a year.... :lol:

Winning pair: UNI's McDermott, Jacobson share unique bond

Greg McDermott had just taken the North Dakota State men's basketball head coaching position.

One of the first people he called was Ben Jacobson to see if he would join his staff as an assistant.

The two, who had known each other for 10 years, had discussed coaching together several times when their paths crossed on recruiting trips. But McDermott had one major hurdle to overcome in landing Jacobson.

Jacobson was an assistant and former player at North Dakota State's most bitter rival -- the University of North Dakota. As much as Jacobson wanted to learn under McDermott, it would be difficult to turn on his loyalty to North Dakota.

"Unless you live in the state of North Dakota, you don't know," Jacobson said.