SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or U.S. College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

From the Green Mill, Tim Hennessy is the host with Sioux hockey coach Dave Hakstol.

TH: The Sioux have the weekend off and a weekend away from the WCHA. You said it was a good thing to have this week off, but I was surprised when you said that you didn

I continue to be impressed with Hakstol from reading the coaches show. I thought tonite's show was very informative.

Tell me this is not a leader:

TH: It means a lot more when players on the other teams tell you what effect Smaby has on their games. The fans don

Great job once again, but you left out the part where TH said something along the lines of "...and maybe this is the anti-Minnesota attitude coming out of me, but I just don't think they're at that level."

I think MN is playing with more confidence right now than any team in the league (aside from SC...lol). We'll see if they "blow a gasket".

All it takes is for one team to say "we're not gonna lay down!" and then prove it.

Great job once again, but you left out the part where TH said something along the lines of "...and maybe this is the anti-Minnesota attitude coming out of me, but I just don't think they're at that level."

It's not a verbatim transcript. If I feel a comment doesn't really add anything to the discussion, I don't include it.

Speaking of Zach Jones, I saw him almost snap in Bemidji in the second period as mentioned earlier. Someon speared or sticked Jones and he went nuts. The kid has some fire and I like what I have seen this season from him. I think he might be better than his brother or at least in his freshman years seems more stead on the ice than Matt did. Both will be good players in the NHL some day I think.

It's not a verbatim transcript. If I feel a comment doesn't really add anything to the discussion, I don't include it.

And that's what I like the best about HOW PCM does the write up. If he did it verbatim we would have had to endure some stuff like Swygman's comments on how to properly state MSUM and when you can and cannot call them "Mankato."

PCM cuts out the wasted airtime and I appreciate it.

-------

And I love the comments on Smaby. I do think there aren't that many players in the NCAA as a whole who can open-ice check nearly as well as Smaby can. He's a lot of fun to watch at our own blue line.

As for Zach Jones, I agree he's been really solid defensively but I'm not so sure I like all the emotion. I'm not saying emotional playing is bad, per se, but it can end up costing the Sioux. If emotional play, for any player, results in penalty minutes, then it's not a positive. I don't know whether he'll be better or worse than his older brother nor do I know what his future is (if he is to make the NHL he will either have to be an undrafted free agent signing or get drafted this year as an overager in the draft like Brian Salcido of CC was last year).

We just need to win right now. That's all it comes down to now. I like the fact that Hakstol wasn't concerned about how other teams were playing as much as TH was. Business is at the New REA, not in St. Cloud or Minneapolis. Not yet anyways.