SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirko to play Friday.

Let'sGoHawks!

HA! Take that PCM. :lol: redwing was right and you......were.....wrong. ???

No, he wasn't right because a DQ wasn't overturned. It was shifted from one Sioux player to another. No penalties were reduced or rescinded.

Finley and Spirko are so similar in size, shape, appearance and style of playing anyone could have confused the two players. I don't think we should be so hard on Zelkin. After all, he just made an honest mistake.

Finley's number is 2. Spirko has two number 1's on his jersey.

1 + 1 = 2

I could see how that would confuse Zelkin. :sad:

(We waaant Shepaaard. :lol: )

You got Shepherd, but not the one you asked for. ???

No, he wasn't right because a DQ wasn't overturned. It was shifted from one Sioux player to another. No penalties were reduced or rescinded.

There is something to what PCM is saying here. I did happen to watch the gopher game where Harrington got his DQ. Calling it "fighting" was a stretch, but there was no one else involved from the gophers. While they didn't review/rescind Harrington's penalty, I think in this case that they did right the situation where possible. To be honest, I don't think Harrington deserved the DQ either, but if Spirko had been DQ'ed, you just have to take your lumps and move on with it.

BTW, everyone fully knows going into a game, that if fighting or an activity close to it goes on, they are going to be sitting a game. A guy I knew used to call Gary Valk (I think) a pu$$y for not getting involved in any "extra-curricular" activities, but IMHO, even way back then, that was the smart move. Of course, that's easier for me to say than do. When a game is on the line, a lot of emotions are involved.

Either way, I always wish those boys the best, and hope that they can learn from their "mistakes."

I firmly believe that one of two things must happen in college hockey:

1) Officials need to take control of "chippy" games and assess appropriate penalties. Too many times dangerous things go without an appropriate penalty (like the Bina incident).

OR

2) Fighting needs to be allowed, certainly in defense of cheap shots so the players can "police" themselves as they can in the NHL without the severe penalties

I believe that the Sioux players could have kept their emotions in check if they honestly thought Rankin was headed to the box for at least a double minor if not a major and a game misconduct. Finley, Radkey and others didn't want to chance Zelkin's inconsistent calls and stood up to protect their player and send a message. Right or wrong they did what they had to do.

It will be tough next Friday down two D-men but i am glad to see Spirko not having to sit. After all, he was drug down but the neck into the boards--I think even the WCHA officials couldn't argue his action were justified.

With that said, I am still surprised the WCHA can shift on ice calls following the game. I was under the assumption that they couldn't unless the official made an error while assessing the penalties.

2) Fighting needs to be allowed, certainly in defense of cheap shots so the players can "police" themselves as they can in the NHL without the severe penalties

The NCAA would never allow it based on their holier than though attitude.

That's true. I am grumpy. :lol:

But, in all fairness, my posts probably make him so. :sad:

In any case, to be honest, I don't think this worked out for the better. I'd much rather lose one forward and one defenseman than two defensemen.

Now instead of having replacements of Miller and Marvin for Spirko and Radke respectively, we'll probably see Marvin and either Alexander or Foyt.

If I were SCSU, this new arrangement works better for them. Seriously, Hakstol will either use them just as much as he used Finley and Radke and take the defensive drop off, or shorten the defensive bench which brings fatigue into the issue not just for the 3rd period but for Saturday's game as well.

But, in all fairness, my posts probably make him so. :p

In any case, to be honest, I don't think this worked out for the better. I'd much rather lose one forward and one defenseman than two defensemen.

:sad:

I disagree. Some people say Finley is doing good for a big defensemen, and that may be true, but he hasn't really impressed me yet. I would rather have Spirko out there catalyzing the offense then having Finley on the D line. From what I have seen of Finley, he has no speed, doesn't react fast, takes bad penalties, doesn't always show the best judgement (compared to other frosh even), offers nothing offensively, isn't the most accurate passer....ok I'm probably being harsh but I really just like Spirko out on the ice more than Finley even if it means alexander rather then miller...

anyways we can do nothing now but see how it plays out ???

I disagree. Some people say Finley is doing good for a big defensemen, and that may be true, but he hasn't really impressed me yet. I would rather have Spirko out there catalyzing the offense then having Finley on the D line. From what I have seen of Finley, he has no speed, doesn't react fast, takes bad penalties, doesn't always show the best judgement (compared to other frosh even), offers nothing offensively, isn't the most accurate passer....ok I'm probably being harsh but I really just like Spirko out on the ice more than Finley even if it means alexander rather then miller...

anyways we can do nothing now but see how it plays out

you would think finley turned you down for an autograph or maybe ran you of the road or something.very funny take though.wow.how about we give the YOUNGSTER a chance before you rip him one.oh, you were right, you were probably a little to harsh :sad:

either way we can get a sweep this weekend if we show up for 60 solid minutes each game. this team has proven that and i believe it started sat vs the rodents.ALL ABOARD

anyways we can do nothing now but see how it plays out ???

Hmmm

Let me see:

No speed: Well, Commodore, Greene, Smaby... they don't have speed either.

Reaction time: No comment, every time I see him on the ice, he seems to look alright, but I haven't tested this so I have no idea.

Bad penalties: I don't think he's taken that many bad penalties... especially since 2006 began. So far he has 23 penalties for 62 minutes. Commodore had 74 PIMS (hockeydb doesn't say how many penalties he had) in 29 games, Greene had 135 PIMS his Freshmen year, Smaby had 81 PIMs his freshman year, and just for kicks, Andy Schneider and David Hale had 65 PIMs and 79 PIMs respectively. I don't think Finley's been poor at all.

Judgement: Heh. We've seen him half a year and you say he has poor judgement? So does Jones after all... who taps on the glass and gets himself a 10 min misconduct? Is that smart? Sorry, bad judgement doesn't fly with me. He makes mistakes, but there isn't a single player freshman or otherwise who hasn't.

Nothing offensively: HE'S A DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN!!!!! You'll see as much offense out of Finley as you did out of Commodore. No wait.. I think he already has nearly as much offense as Commie did his freshman year so far... and if he keeps up the pace he's on, he'll pass Commie's assist stats at least. Want proof? Commodore was 0g 5a 5pts his freshman year. Finley sits today at 0g 3a 3pts.

Passer: Again, I don't think he's that bad of a passer. If you are speaking about problems clearing the zone, name me one player lately who HASN'T had this problem.

Being a little harsh: YEAH! I can finally agree with you on something.

I like Spirko as much as anyone here, but when you look at the depth chart, we are far shallower at D than we are at Forward. THAT is why I said we got the short end of the stick on this one.

I do agree I just don't think Finley adds much depth. Yes, he can and will improve, but I am talking about right now. And calm! Its not that he's a disaster, its just that unlike the rest of our frosh who get time, I haven't seen anything from him that excites me. I am curious as to how his +/- compares to the rest of the team ???

I whole-heartedly disagree. Though Spirko is a GREAT player, losing 2 out of 6 defensemen is NOT a good situation. We have good depth offensively, but defense isn't one place where we can afford to lose people.

This is obviously just my opinion, but Finley is a solid defenseman. Clearly he was strong enough defensively to get drafted in the 1st round. He has proven to move well, and be in good position most of the time. PLUS, having the BIG stick that he does and that reach, he can make up for a little cushion.

Also, I think Finley is MILES ahead of Smaby when he was a freshman. Maybe the team is better now (judgment call...don't have numbers) but I remember he would get toasted every few games. I rarely see Finley get burned...at least not enough to make him stand out. Smaby looked horrendous at times, and look at him now. We knew he had upside then, and he proved it.

That's the key....Finley improving every game, and I think we can agree that he's doing that.