SiouxSports.com Forum

Sparky is a 21st Century JIM ARCHIBALD!

SiouxMeNow

okay - after getting his first career penalty earlier this season - now Sparky has been DQ'd for FIGHTING? :D (yeah it was a joke but it counts) Is the ultra-smooth slovakian destined to become the new Jim Archibald? I'm worried... :D *

*not really - so you think that 6'2" MSUM dork who backed off from Radke got a little sh*t on the bus back to Mankato? I hope so.... :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think if Matt Greene were on the ice last weekend, Mankato would have fought like that?

Notice they did not start the fight when Smaby, Prpich, Jones were out there. They took on our youngsters, 'little guys' and Radke and got their butts kicked.

When Oshie broke up the fight between Finley and the Mankato guy, I thought good for him, he knows we need to keep the focus on the game or we could end up losing. I thought how mature of him. Then Mankato went after him and I thought, "Maim that cow, tear his head off." :D

I do love my Fighting Sioux hockey. :D

Do you think if Matt Greene were on the ice last weekend, Mankato would have fought like that?

Actually yes I do. It did not have matter who was on the ice it just took the right altercation to set things in to motion. I just thought everyone would enjoy the picture of Green in his first NHL fight since we were on the topic.

I"ve seen different names (Rankin, Olson, etc) in print for the Mankato cheap shot artist that did the horse collar on Sparky. Was the guy in the wrestling match with him the same one that did the horsecollar? Did that same guy end up with a DQ. I've seen it listed at Olson, who was also they guy who kneed Parise in the head on the waived off goal, so obviously he didn't get DQ'ed.

Actually yes I do. It did not have matter who was on the ice it just took the right altercation to set things in to motion. I just thought everyone would enjoy the picture of Green in his first NHL fight since we were on the topic.

Looked to me that Kato was very careful and aware of who was on the ice when they pulled their high stick cheap crap both nights. Makes one think it is Jutting led. Would guess they'd be a bit less confident (in the future) that they could handle the on ice repurcussions with Radke on the ice. We, however, will never know as long as they run and hide after the cheap shots.

Sickening that players like that feel a level of protection because of the fighting rules in college hockey. If any team ever needs a lesson in cheap shoting smaller opponents it's some of the Mankato hacks.

I"ve seen different names (Rankin, Olson, etc) in print for the Mankato cheap shot artist that did the horse collar on Sparky. Was the guy in the wrestling match with him the same one that did the horsecollar? Did that same guy end up with a DQ. I've seen it listed at Olson, who was also they guy who kneed Parise in the head on the waived off goal, so obviously he didn't get DQ'ed.

I thought it was Rankin that Sparky was wrestling with, but I could be wrong about that.

Sweeney, etc, said Rankin when the horsecollar was replayed, was Rankin one of the DQ's?

Cummins and Wagner got the DQs for Mankato. Rankin got a double minor for roughing and a misconduct. Appears that he got off kind of easy for pretty much starting the whole thing.

Cummins and Wagner got the DQs for Mankato. Rankin got a double minor for roughing and a misconduct. Appears that he got off kind of easy for pretty much starting the whole thing.

So Spirko took down Wagner? Since the cameras didn't show the actual take down, I assumed it was Rankin. If it WAS Rankin Spirko took down, then it should have been Rankin with the DQ and not Wagner. Cummings was tied up with Radke so those two DQs make sense to me.

SiouxMeNow- I'm positive Cummings battled Radke, in which case Cummings is 6'4" compared to Radke's 5'11" (6'0" depending on the website). Now, if Spirko did tangle with Wagner (which obviously he did since both Spirko and Wagner got fighting DQs), that's a mismatch as well. Spirko's 5'9" compared to Wagner's 6'2".

The refs sometimes mix the guys up. Last Saturday's Sioux game at MN was a classic example. Anyone remember the scrum which ended up with 2 guys from each team getting double minors? Watkins was one of them, yet all he did was stand outside the scrum and watch. I watched it on replay several times. Plenty of other guys were locked up, but not Watkins.

So they may have DQ'd the wrong guy.

The refs sometimes mix the guys up. Last Saturday's Sioux game at MN was a classic example. Anyone remember the scrum which ended up with 2 guys from each team getting double minors? Watkins was one of them, yet all he did was stand outside the scrum and watch. I watched it on replay several times. Plenty of other guys were locked up, but not Watkins.

In which case, the DQs benefitted Mankato. I have no clue who Wagner is for the Mavs but I'm sure he's less of an impact as losing Rankin.

Who cares though anyways. We have to deal with our losses for Friday whether the players DQ'd on either side were correctly called or not.

As do reporters, as this GFH article reads that Olson took down Spirko, which I think is definately wrong.

Maybe our own sudo-reporter can clarify all of this :D

Looked to me that Kato was very careful and aware of who was on the ice when they pulled their high stick cheap crap both nights. Makes one think it is Jutting led. Would guess they'd be a bit less confident (in the future) that they could handle the on ice repurcussions with Radke on the ice. We, however, will never know as long as they run and hide after the cheap shots.

Sickening that players like that feel a level of protection because of the fighting rules in college hockey. If any team ever needs a lesson in cheap shoting smaller opponents it's some of the Mankato hacks.

Reminds me of what Dahl's teams played like back in the late 1990's and early 2000's. No surprise, being they appear separated at birth.

anyone hear the radio call of that fight? I thought Lotsyz was going to pee his pants when Radke punched him a couple times and he was VERY DISAPPOINTED when the Mankato player walked away...

I believe the response from Lotysz after Cummings simply skated away was "Get that guy a saucer of milk!"

I believe the response from Lotysz after Cummings simply skated away was "Get that guy a saucer of milk!"

Lotysz could not have been more accurate. Radke kicked that guy's a$$. Twice his size and got totally bitch slapped. Near the end the big pu$$ even had his jersey and pads off and was in a great position to really throw 'em instead he skated away from a guy half his size. What a wuss. Dude should quit the game.

The most important thing about the way this weekend ended is not only the 4 points. They stood up for one another and fought -- literally. Things such as this works wonders for chemistry regardless of what the deluded anti-fighting crowd may believe.

As do reporters, as this GFH article reads that Olson took down Spirko, which I think is definately wrong.

The article says that Joel Hanson took down Spirko, but I'm almost 100 percent sure it was Rankin. As rw77 noted, MSU doesn't have an Olson on its roster.

Here's the box score from collegehockeystats.net that lists who got what penalties. I assume that it's accurate.

Edited by PCM