SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio and Internet Coverage?

coachdags

I am Really FRUSTRATED by UND and Clear Channel Communications....

We have I feel Very Good and Knowledgeable Announce Teams for all Sports....(Fun to Listen to)

Why we can not get a Steady Stream for the Internet, Is beyond belief?

Why we can Not get a Radio Broadcast without Disruption is also Unbelieveable?

Is not Clear Channel Communications a Multi-Million Dollar Broacasting Company...?

We are the laughing stock of the NCC and Div 2 Athletics when it comes to Broadcasting,We deserve better...Other Institutions can do it...I Know beacause , I am forced to listen to the Oppents Broadcast..

BECAUSE WE CAN NOT DO IT RIGHT....Fix it UND and CLEAR CHANNEL

I won't even bring up The Web Cast Fiasco......That is a whole other embarassment...

I am Really FRUSTRATED by UND and Clear Channel Communications....

We have I feel Very Good and Knowledgeable Announce Teams for all Sports....(Fun to Listen to)

Why we can not get a Steady Stream for the Internet, Is beyond belief?

Why we can Not get a Radio Broadcast without Disruption is also Unbelieveable?

Is not Clear Channel Communications a Multi-Million Dollar Broacasting Company...?

We are the laughing stock of the NCC and Div 2 Athletics when it comes to Broadcasting,We deserve better...Other Institutions can do it...I Know beacause , I am forced to listen to the Oppents Broadcast..

BECAUSE WE CAN NOT DO IT RIGHT....Fix it UND and CLEAR CHANNEL

I won't even bring up The Web Cast Fiasco......That is a whole other embarassment...

It's really embarassing and frustrating.

How far fetched would it be to strike up a deal with XM radio? They cover the big ten, pac ten, ect....

Having a limited audience and just the cost would make it nearly impossible, but it would be nice.

It's really embarassing and frustrating.

How far fetched would it be to strike up a deal with XM radio? They cover the big ten, pac ten, ect....

Having a limited audience and just the cost would make it nearly impossible, but it would be nice.

Does Clear Channel even have anything to do with the webcasting beyond granting a 3rd party permission to broadcast it? I'd guess UND "handles" any internet broadcasts but I'm not sure. I've listened to lots of games around the country on YahooSports and other providers that stream dozens if not hundreds of games at a time with very few problems....

Maybe the problem is UND would have to pay for it and they don't want to? So they accept a mediocre streaming service because it doesn't cost them anything - I really don't know.

The sad thing about the Video Webcast is UND rushed into it when it was brand new and unproven. All the glitches turned just about everyone off and now they can't get the business to justify upgrading it to something more reliable IMO

Why not ask this question instead:

Why don't we have conference members that could "trade" television feeds? I know hockey trades some of their feeds in exchange for road game feeds (ala Duluth this year). Same could be done in football and hoops.

I'm no hoops guy, but I would have loved to be able to watch WBB team go 19-0 last night, except there is no television in Omaha and thus no feed available to be put onto Fighting Sioux Sports Network.

PS - I don't think the issue is with Clear Channel ND but with the internet side of the connections only.

SiouxMeNow-

What? You mean that UND doesn't want to pay for the service that they are charging people for currently?

I guess that's legal, but it does explain everything.

As for the webstreamed radio feed, I believe it is streamed onto the internet by 96.1 FM in Grand Forks. I believe they do the same for their music during all other times so I'm sure their end isn't that bad.

I really do think it has to do with the people actually on the scene (not TH, but the tech crew on site) especially when the Sioux are on the road. They seem to not know how to get it to work very well and it also seems like they don't have the budget to keep equipment that is state of the art and/or reliable.

It really is operating on the cheap. It is very depressing to think that GVSU's webcasting program and even UAA or UMD's radio feed are more reliable given the size of the markets they are in.

But, you have to spend money to get quality and that doesn't seem like something they really want. If it works 90 percent of the time, that's good enough for UND and Clear Channel.

Question: Could it be that UMD, GVSU, and others including UND all have the same size "pipe" but more folks are trying to use UND's? That is both good and bad. Bad is poor connection. Good is people trying to listen to UND.

That could explain the internet feed..?

But I am Frustrated by the cut outs on the Radio feed...No Matter the Sport Football,B-Ball,Hockey they lose tranmission for parts of the broadcasts?

I listen to alot of games on the internet. UNI, CU, CSU, Utah,Minn Dulth, Crookston, these guys do not have the problems UND has.....Obviously if the Radio Feed goes down you will lose the Internet feed also...

They have additted to me that there internet connections are sub Bar at best...

My question still remains...Why can we not do it right..?

Hopefully the new Braodcast bids will include some updated Equipment and Technology...Because I feel UND Fans do deserve better...

SiouxMeNow-

What? You mean that UND doesn't want to pay for the service that they are charging people for currently?

I guess that's legal, but it does explain everything.

As for the webstreamed radio feed, I believe it is streamed onto the internet by 96.1 FM in Grand Forks. I believe they do the same for their music during all other times so I'm sure their end isn't that bad.

I really do think it has to do with the people actually on the scene (not TH, but the tech crew on site) especially when the Sioux are on the road. They seem to not know how to get it to work very well and it also seems like they don't have the budget to keep equipment that is state of the art and/or reliable.

It really is operating on the cheap. It is very depressing to think that GVSU's webcasting program and even UAA or UMD's radio feed are more reliable given the size of the markets they are in.

But, you have to spend money to get quality and that doesn't seem like something they really want. If it works 90 percent of the time, that's good enough for UND and Clear Channel.

90% of the time? man - I've had a lot of bad luck on the 10% side of that deal :silly: - anyway - I'm guessing a lot of alums have voiced their displeasure at both the radiocast and video webcast to UND directly (I know I have!). The video webcast thing is, I'm pretty sure, an REA venture so you know they'll do what they want but there's no excuse in my mind for not being able to dial up the radio broadcast RELIABLY on the internet. UND athletics is apparently unable or unwilling to correct it...maybe it's $$$ but I'd hate to think they'd tick off fans and alums to save a couple bucks! :D

BTW - I dialed up GVSU's FB games several times this last season - worked great every time. It was simple - just 1 camera and some shmo doing a play by play but it worked and it was FREE! I dialed up a couple UNA games last season as well and their radio webcast* also worked fine and THAT'S ALABAMA for crying out loud!

* BTW - best commercial on the Alabama station was for the REPO DEPOT! (I'm not kidding!)

But I am Frustrated by the cut outs on the Radio feed...No Matter the Sport Football,B-Ball,Hockey they lose tranmission for parts of the broadcasts?

That is my biggest complaint. This has nothing to do with listening over the internet, this is turning the radio on and listening to the game and having the game be interrupted by them losing their connection. It happens way more than it should. While at the Duluth playoff football game at home this year, I finally took my headsets off, because they missed about a whole quarter of that game with these kinds of problems.

Do you think this has to do with anything?

Link

I could have sworn some posts on here stated that Chris Lee was the main contact for dataflix, maybe he had a role in the Internet/radio feeds, too...or maybe he will be filling the vacancy of the person that was in charge of the Internet/radio feed, and things will get better--today is his first day. :silly:

Do you think this has to do with anything?

Link

I could have sworn some posts on here stated that Chris Lee was the main contact for dataflix, maybe he had a role in the Internet/radio feeds, too...or maybe he will be filling the vacancy of the person that was in charge of the Internet/radio feed, and things will get better--today is his first day. :silly:

Chris was just in for Lunch..He will do a great Job in his New Position and I am sure he will try and Help!

He was very Good at the World Juniors and always follwed up on things when asked....But..

The Radio is a Clear Channel Problem with Equipment and Phone Line feeds, They do not spend the Extra money to assure quailty production...

The Internet Problem is apparently UND's..Not Sure why, Maybe Clear Channel did not bid on this type of service so UND and REA are trying to do it themselfs..? At least what I was Told..?

The New Radio Contract is up for Bid This Year for Next Season in ALL sports...Lets hope the the College Educated Staff at UND get this kind of requirements in the BID.. and that also when Bidding the Winning Radio Station can Deliver...?

This has been a ongoing problem now for YEARS...!

Chris was just in for Lunch..He will do a great Job in his New Position and I am sure he will try and Help!

He was very Good at the World Juniors and always follwed up on things when asked....But..

The Radio is a Clear Channel Problem with Equipment and Phone Line feeds, They do not spend the Extra money to assure quailty production...

The Internet Problem is apparently UND's..Not Sure why, Maybe Clear Channel did not bid on this type of service so UND and REA are trying to do it themselfs..? At least what I was Told..?

The New Radio Contract is up for Bid This Year for Next Season in ALL sports...Lets hope the the College Educated Staff at UND get this kind of requirements in the BID.. and that also when Bidding the Winning Radio Station can Deliver...?

This has been a ongoing problem now for YEARS...!

The problem there is ClearChannel is the 400lb gorilla of local radio. I doubt Leighton Broadcasting is in any position to put up big bucks for a UND contract. (They'd have to lure Tim and Swyg back :D ...AGAIN...for 1 thing) And with all the consolidation of radio stations in the last couple years - that's about it for radio competition in GF!