SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Gophers in Rodentville

AZSIOUX

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add some fuel to the fire, Toews is now rated higher than Kessel in the latest 2006 ISS draft update. (And yes we all know E. Johnson will be a goofer also)

1 E. Johnson USA

2 J. Toews UND

3 P. Kessel UMIN

4 J. Staal PET

5 P. Mueller EVE

6 M. Frolik CZE

7 N. Backstrom SWE

8 J. Sheppard CB

9 J. Degray BRA

10 B. Little BAR

11 B. Sanguinetti OWE

12 K. Okposo DSMN

13 A. Vasyunov RUS

14 D. Brassard DRU

15 N. Williams USA

Johnson's great play in the WJC definitely helped him in this poll. Few can argue though that he didn't have a great tournament.

As long as Kessel gets 3-4 points, I'm OK with Oshie being the "best" freshmen. ;)

The way scorekeepers at The John have been padding Gophers stats with phantom points....Kessel will have no problem fulfilling your hopes. When even the biggest Goofer homers in the world Frank Rugzacco and Dumb Woog point out the fact that very questonable assists are given to players on the Gophers, there is a problem! I have heard during a couple of games this year that points seem to be given at random to players at the John.

Finally, Kessel can get his 3-4 points as long as the TEAM from North Dakota wins the games! ;)

Just to add some fuel to the fire, Toews is now rated higher than Kessel in the latest 2006 ISS draft update. (And yes we all know E. Johnson will be a goofer also)

1 E. Johnson USA

2 J. Toews UND

3 P. Kessel UMIN

None of us would like to see the Goofer fans get all worked up. ;)

Just like the valuable lesson we all learned from the WJC. Individual performances and stats do great wonders for your team winning championships ;) Go phil go, get those stat sheets "philled up" this weekend.

Just like great performances without finishing! Which is what I wish upon all the Green/Black/White.

Actually the Gophers need Phil's points on a nightly basis. Last year elite teams like UND/CC/Cornell and might as well include Maine were able to shut the Gophers down. The Gophers will need to get 1-2 goals from RP's line, 1-2 from Kessel's line and nights where they get a goal from either the Guyer's or Kaufmann's line they are going to be very hard to beat.

Even the Gophs great teams from earlier this century didn't try to win many 2-1 type games. So Kessel really does fit in well. ;)

This weekend should be great, I'll be in section 24 row 3, black leather Minnesota jacket if any of you are sitting in the area say hi.

Just like great performances without finishing! Which is what I wish upon all the Green/Black/White.

Actually the Gophers need Phil's points on a nightly basis. Last year elite teams like UND/CC/Cornell and might as well include Maine were able to shut the Gophers down. The Gophers will need to get 1-2 goals from RP's line, 1-2 from Kessel's line and nights where they get a goal from either the Guyer's or Kaufmann's line they are going to be very hard to beat.

Even the Gophs great teams from earlier this century didn't try to win many 2-1 type games. So Kessel really does fit in well. ;)

This weekend should be great, I'll be in section 24 row 3, black leather Minnesota jacket if any of you are sitting in the area say hi.

Sagaard, I wasn't wrong giving you credit for being a knowledgeable fan now was I ;) . I would hope you would get past stats and put faith into a players performance on the ice. A good example, and one you may not like is Prpch. He does very little scoring, but his value on the PK, and being able to disrupt the opposition is priceless. As for the little digs about TJ not finishing in the WJC. Like I have said many times, your boy passed up shots he damn sure should have taken. So to that, I say, you don't have a chance to score if you don't shoot the puck. It's better to shoot and miss, then not shoot at all, I guess. Also, I don't think Coach Kyle's intentions for TJ were to lead the US in scoring, that spot was held for phil, and borque. I will agree that this will be a good hockey weekend, at least some decent compettion, for both teams. I wish I could be there, and if I was, I would damn sure come up and shake your hand Sagaard.

Sagaard, I wasn't wrong giving you credit for being a knowledgeable fan now was I ;) . I would hope you would get past stats and put faith into a players performance on the ice. A good example, and one you may not like is Prpch. He does very little scoring, but his value on the PK, and being able to disrupt the opposition is priceless. As for the little digs about TJ not finishing in the WJC. Like I have said many times, your boy passed up shots he damn sure should have taken. So to that, I say, you don't have a chance to score if you don't shoot the puck. It's better to shoot and miss, then not shoot at all, I guess. Also, I don't think Coach Kyle's intentions for TJ were to lead the US in scoring, that spot was held for phil, and borque. I will agree that this will be a good hockey weekend, at least some decent compettion, for both teams. I wish I could be there, and if I was, I would damn sure come up and shake your hand Sagaard.

You have more guts than me, I wouldn't shake his hand. ;)

So - is anyone going to a local tavern before going to tonight's game. I think I'll be a Stub and Herbs around 5:30.

I was going to try Big10 before the game, because of their awesome wings, and a bartender I like to be verbally hostile and abusive with. I will try Stub & Herbs after the game.

As mentioned earlier - Kessel will get points just for being on the ice when goals are scored.

That dirty K word again. Personally I hope the Sioux team watched the game between Canada and the US. Knock the one move wonder on his butt with big clean hits and he will remain on the outside as just another ineffective skater, plain and simple. ;)

I caught Hakstol being interviewed by PA and Dubay on KFAN a few minutes ago. Here's a recap of what I heard. It's my way of paying back all the recaps I enjoy when I can't listen in first hand. Please don't expect much from me:

PA asks what will be different this weekend than the last time these 2 teams played? Hak says: I hope the outcome of the games will be different! Biggest difference last time was how MN started the games vs how the Sioux started.

Dubay asks who the goalie will be? Hak says: Jordan possibly the best goalie in the country, but minor health issue. Lammy tonite and wait and see about tomorrow. Won't rush JP in. JP is the MVP on this team so far this year.

Dubay asks about all the blue chip recruits. Maybe in 2 years it will be THE elite D corp in the country. They seem to already be pretty good. Hak says D is toughest to make the transition as a freshman. It's the 2nd half of the year now. All guys have played in all situations and a lot of minutes. Will be better in a year, but no longer considers them freshmen. Doesn't matter what the makeup is, they have to get job done.

PA asks about Harrington being out. Does game plan change? Hak says no. UND has to have puck possession and put on offensive zone pressure.

PA asks if it is difficult for a physical team like UND to play against a skilled MN team on Olympic ice? Hak says no. Must read, react and anticipate and NOT chase the puck. More patience needed.

Dubay asks about how last year the team came together down the stretch. Considered UND the best team in the country, even better than Denver though Denver won. Is there a way to manipulate a team to play its best at end of year? Hak says you need to stay consistent, and send the same messages all year, but step up intensity level and expectations 1 notch above where they were last month. This team is a learning process. Last year was more of a transition with the coaching change. This year is more of a learning process. Most important thing for this year was gaining experience. Liked UND's first half schedule because it gave a variety of situations and tough teams and it could have made or broken us. Neither happened. Down the stretch we'll know how much it helped us.

Hak finished the interview by challenging Lucia to a throw-down after the game saturday

Now, see if you can figure out what part of this interview I made up?

Sagaard, I wasn't wrong giving you credit for being a knowledgeable fan now was I ;) . I would hope you would get past stats and put faith into a players performance on the ice. A good example, and one you may not like is Prpch.

No I'm with you in almost every case. I just think that Kessel's contributions are a little undervalued by this board and a little overvalued on GPL. Personally I think he is a great fit for the Gophers because of their scoring troubles last season. Combined with unexpectedly not having Tyler Hirsch this year I wasn't really sure if the Gophers were going get the scoring they need given the defense they play. Due to the dramatic fall off last year, I still need the Gophers score a bunch (win or lose) the next three weeks before I can consider them a serious challenge for the WCHA or NCAA playoffs.

Prpich obviously could play for any WCHA team, but the Gophers do have players who play his role. Guyer and Sertich come to mind as seniors who seem to know they will be expected to play at both ends and can play against the opponents top players.

I caught Hakstol being interviewed by PA and Dubay on KFAN a few minutes ago. Here's a recap of what I heard. It's my way of paying back all the recaps I enjoy when I can't listen in first hand. Please don't expect much from me:

PA asks what will be different this weekend than the last time these 2 teams played? Hak says: I hope the outcome of the games will be different! Biggest difference last time was how MN started the games vs how the Sioux started.

Dubay asks who the goalie will be? Hak says: Jordan possibly the best goalie in the country, but minor health issue. Lammy tonite and wait and see about tomorrow. Won't rush JP in. JP is the MVP on this team so far this year.

Dubay asks about all the blue chip recruits. Maybe in 2 years it will be THE elite D corp in the country. They seem to already be pretty good. Hak says D is toughest to make the transition as a freshman. It's the 2nd half of the year now. All guys have played in all situations and a lot of minutes. Will be better in a year, but no longer considers them freshmen. Doesn't matter what the makeup is, they have to get job done.

PA asks about Harrington being out. Does game plan change? Hak says no. UND has to have puck possession and put on offensive zone pressure.

PA asks if it is difficult for a physical team like UND to play against a skilled MN team on Olympic ice? Hak says no. Must read, react and anticipate and NOT chase the puck. More patience needed.

Dubay asks about how last year the team came together down the stretch. Considered UND the best team in the country, even better than Denver though Denver won. Is there a way to manipulate a team to play its best at end of year? Hak says you need to stay consistent, and send the same messages all year, but step up intensity level and expectations 1 notch above where they were last month. This team is a learning process. Last year was more of a transition with the coaching change. This year is more of a learning process. Most important thing for this year was gaining experience. Liked UND's first half schedule because it gave a variety of situations and tough teams and it could have made or broken us. Neither happened. Down the stretch we'll know how much it helped us.

Hak finished the interview by challenging Lucia to a throw-down after the game saturday

Now, see if you can figure out what part of this interview I made up?

The bit about Dumbay considering UND to be the best team in the country? ;)

No I'm with you in almost every case. I just think that Kessel's contributions are a little undervalued by this board and a little overvalued on GPL. Personally I think he is a great fit for the Gophers because of their scoring troubles last season. Combined with unexpectedly not having Tyler Hirsch this year I wasn't really sure if the Gophers were going get the scoring they need given the defense they play. Due to the dramatic fall off last year, I still need the Gophers score a bunch (win or lose) the next three weeks before I can consider them a serious challenge for the WCHA or NCAA playoffs.

Prpich obviously could play for any WCHA team, but the Gophers do have players who play his role. Guyer and Sertich come to mind as seniors who seem to know they will be expected to play at both ends and can play against the opponents top players.

Agreed.

Where is that at? It isn't the place on Hyw 10 is it?

I think they mean the Big 10 in Stadium Village across from the hotel on Washington...personally, I'll be bailing to Sally's around 2:30 or so, I'll be hanging around Sec 2 tonight #10 gold throwback jersey, stop and say howdy if you dare!

WPoS

Here are the lines for tonight courtesy of hubbabubba on GPL:

Minnesota

Stoa-Potulny-Irmen

Chucko-Guyer-Howe

Gordon-Kessel-Wheeler

Pohl-Kaufmann-Bostrom

Goligoski-Anderson

Peltier-Vannelli

Sertich-Atherton

Briggs

North Dakota

Spirko-Zajac-Stafford

Porter-Toews-Oshie

Duncan-Watkins-Kozek

Fabian-Foyt-Prpich

Jones-Smaby

Chorney-Lee

Finley-Radke

Lamoureux

Minnesota

Stoa-Potulny-Irmen

Chucko-Guyer-Howe

Gordon-Kessel-Wheeler

Pohl-Kaufmann-Bostrom

Goligoski-Anderson

Peltier-Vannelli

Sertich-Atherton

Briggs

North Dakota

Spirko-Zajac-Stafford

Porter-Toews-Oshie

Duncan-Watkins-Kozek

Fabian-Foyt-Prpich

Jones-Smaby

Chorney-Lee

Finley-Radke

Lamoureux

Kaip really needs to pick up his play. Wasn't he supposed to be a Rory McMahon type player, but more gifted offensively? ;)

Kaip really needs to pick up his play. Wasn't he supposed to be a Rory McMahon type player, but more gifted offensively? ;)
I wonder how much last year's injury may have affected him?

Thanks, Cardinal. I'm surprised to see that hubbabubba had access to lines for both teams. Didn't expect that. Cool.

Minnesota

Stoa-Potulny-Irmen

Chucko-Guyer-Howe

Gordon-Kessel-Wheeler

Pohl-Kaufmann-Bostrom

Goligoski-Anderson

Peltier-Vannelli

Sertich-Atherton

Briggs

North Dakota

Spirko-Zajac-Stafford

Porter-Toews-Oshie

Duncan-Watkins-Kozek

Fabian-Foyt-Prpich

Jones-Smaby

Chorney-Lee

Finley-Radke

Lamoureux

About what we all expected for lines. I hope if stoa plans on parking in the crease this time that #2 or #27 put out the welcome mat for him, so to speak. Take your chances with the officials calling a penalty, but I hope the boys handle it the way it needs to be handled this time. ;)

"I think they mean the Big 10 in Stadium Village across from the hotel on Washington...personally, I'll be bailing to Sally's around 2:30 or so, I'll be hanging around Sec 2 tonight #10 gold throwback jersey, stop and say howdy if you dare!

WPoS"

Sounds good - I'll be in my "hostile and abusive" Kelly Green #12 jersey - SRO so not sure where we'll end up.

About what we all expected for lines. I hope if stoa plans on parking in the crease this time that #2 or #27 put out the welcome mat for him, so to speak. Take your chances with the officials calling a penalty, but I hope the boys handle it the way it needs to be handled this time. ;)

I agree. And if it's true that what Stoa was doing was still a violation of the new rules, then I hope Sheppard has clarified this with all of his officials, and Hak has clarification with tonite's ref. Because if the gophers are going to take advantage of this again, I expect to see a Sioux planted in the same spot on the other end of the ice.